What percentage of you actually think you'll get better?

Do you believe that you'll one day get over the hump?

• Total voters
That's a great way to "validate" beliefs that would slip one further into depression.

ex:
"Everyone's happy and I'm not!"
*sees person(s) smile*
"See, I told you!"

I'm a very cynical human being, can't you tell? :cool:

I'm passed depression though, I was depressed 5 yrs ago. It has since mutated into something that probably doesn't even have a name yet.

FOR REAL

Banned
i dont want to be social, ye can stuff it as far as im concerned, its no use to me whatsoever.
but like blackids sais on a previous thread, you have to keep up with exercising, it does give you some relief :)

Remus

Staff member
Now I don't agree with what this kid did, it was tragic and he's an ******* for it. However, his personality sounds a lot like some of the people on this forum (especially his extreme shyness and depression). The film is kinda sad actually but ultimately its hard to feel pity for him because of how he decided to end things.

But the point is....

he took initiative and didn't remain idle whether we like the outcome or not.

I think you are mixing up anti-social personality disorder with social anxiety disorder.

as for the poll, I'm way better than I was in my 20's when my SA reached a peak, I'd say I'm over the hump in that respect, still have problems though, not as severe luckily

Last edited:
I think you are mixing up anti-social personality disorder with social anxiety disorder.

as for the poll, I'm way better than I was in my 20's when my SA reached a peak, I'd say I'm over the hump in that respect, still have problems though, not as severe luckily

Nope, he didn't have that. He had selective mutism which is a form of social anxiety. And his lack of friends and a social life eventually drove him mad.

Did you watch the docu?

I felt sorry for him up until the ending (for obvious reasons..lol)

tragic indeed.

Remus

Staff member
SA does not make you kill people, usually it is some other more severe mental illness that SA is just one of the symptoms of

The lack of speech that resulted in the diagnosis of selective mutism could have been an early indication that Cho was developing schizophrenia. One symptom of schizophrenia is what is known as "poverty of speech," referring to a marked deficit in the amount of talking the person engages in. In addition, Cho's manifesto provides evidence of both paranoid and grandiose delusions. Such symptoms are also associated with schizophrenia, and it has been argued that Cho was schizophrenic.

Seung-Hui Cho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the schizophrenia thing just sounds like nothing more than speculation.
(I know lots of religious people who could/should be labeled schizophrenic based off doctrines/delusions/miracles/false sense of self worth etc alone)

anyway, who said SA makes you kill people?

you don't need a disease/mental illness to commit murder.

you just do it....like Nike

but I honestly think he did it because he was a bitter loner.

years of pure frustration.

they also claimed he was autistic also.

but all that is speculation now, there's no way to verify these claims. We only know what he was diagnosed with, which is anxiety disorder/selective mutism/ major depressive disorder.

dunno' why these things turn into debates, it's nothing to be offended by.

It doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
Now I don't agree with what this kid did, it was tragic and he's an ******* for it. However, his personality sounds a lot like some of the people on this forum (especially his extreme shyness and depression). The film is kinda sad actually but ultimately its hard to feel pity for him because of how he decided to end things.

But the point is....

he took initiative and didn't remain idle whether we like the outcome or not.

(btw for the feds and mods watching this thread NO I have no plans to do such things)
Sorry but this is ridiculous. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that pisses me off every time some a**hole like that does this... people start to assume that anyone who is extremely shy and quiet is a potential psychopath. His personality is nothing like most people on this forum and I find the very suggestion offensive.

This is why you have to be careful what you say Spike, be careful not to offend

jhanniffy

What is to get better!

I don't think I'll ever get rid of anxiety 100% but I want to know how to life and deal with what I've got!

iamthenra

Yeah, you are correct sir. I don't attempt to get better, mainly out of fear. The fear is far greater than my desire to become married with a family. I can no longer have a family because of my age. I have waited too long for my princess to fall into my lap, which obviously will never happen. I'm 41, and my biggest fear is that I will never know what it's like to be with a beautiful female before I die... Any female for that matter... But I have OCD in me regarding someone who is gorgeous, and at my age that isn't a realistic expectation, I can see it in myself... I look old, and yet I still obsess over the 20 year old girls... I'll die a frustrated old lonely virgin I'm sure of it... A self professing prophecy I'm sure... I would "off" myself, if it were not for my fear of death.

garry29

I've gotten to the stage where I don't actually care if I get better or not. I still look at other people and think I wished I was outgoing like them but I just can't see it happening so I TRY not to think about it.

Luke1993

You post a lot of really good stuff, but just no on this one.

Why? Most people would not kill a load of people and then themselves because they would be too scared of dying. I think the fact he went against his instinct to live was brave. I don't condone what he did though

yeah, you are correct sir. I don't attempt to get better, mainly out of fear. The fear is far greater than my desire to become married with a family. I can no longer have a family because of my age. I have waited too long for my princess to fall into my lap, which obviously will never happen. I'm 41, and my biggest fear is that i will never know what it's like to be with a beautiful female before i die... Any female for that matter... But i have ocd in me regarding someone who is gorgeous, and at my age that isn't a realistic expectation, i can see it in myself... I look old, and yet i still obsess over the 20 year old girls... I'll die a frustrated old lonely virgin i'm sure of it... A self professing prophecy i'm sure... I would "off" myself, if it were not for my fear of death.

:/ ...

Island_chic

Yes, Social Anxiety does get better but you have to work at it. I use to be afraid of literally everything...leaving my house, being around people, talking, looking at people in the eyes, using the restroom, the phone, eating, signing my name in public. Now i'm singing in choir and taking vocal lessons. I've had a steady job for 11 years. I 've been driving for the same amount of years. I went to college. I can go into public without feeling overwhelmed. I can answer/talk and leave messages on the phone. I can do all that i couldn't before.

Sure I still have a little bit of a problem with keeping a conversation with a stranger sometimes..and sometimes I do okay. but I'm a lot better these days! These are all hard obstacles when you've had severe s.a. and agoraphobia.

I even carry humor and emotion these days

Things do get better but you must get help as well. It does take time. Never give up on yourself. I've come to realize that I can do just what I thought I couldn't do. It slapped me in the face baby!

Last edited:

Anthem of the Angels

I have got better with time too; from a shy, depressed guy that hadn't seen the sun in months; to a person that had some hope; to a person that just doesn't care about anything anymore. lol

Last edited:

IronSteel525

I've been dealing with this for almost 19 years now. My life has steadily crumbled over that time, despite therapy, groups, different "Strategies", and yes, meds galore.

Outside of five decent years between '96 and '01, when the prozac worked, before it just stopped working, a near suicide, two weeks in the nut hatch, etc, etc, it just keeps getting worse...for example, I was a voracious reader, up until this past fall...I've not read one book outside of a graphic novel or a magazine/newsletter since.

I'm still in therapy, seeing a psychiatrist, soon to be in another group...so, I'm a little offended by all of this "giving up" crap in some of your posts. I'm still trying, however, do I beleive I'll ever get even close to where I was before my life turned upside down at 18? Sadly, No.

If any of you would like to continue this, feel free to contact me via my profile.

lyricalliaisons

I picked "I don't know, the future is one big question mark" because I have no idea what the future holds. There is a slight chance that I will become well enough to at least function & be able to have a decent life (a.k.a. hold down a job, be in a relationship, etc.). But that may just be wishful thinking on my part. I still have a little bit of hope, though, because to give it up completely would be to give up on everything.

i picked thre dunno option..
im obviously not going to give up...and there are so many treatments,. no one says that it can be completely cured, but I think the point is in coping wiht it well, accepting yourself.. and then sa is way eased.. im babbling.. i feel bad now.. but i know im gonna try..it's just in our heads and we have a lot of time.. but then dispair does come..