What percentage of you actually think you'll get better?

Do you believe that you'll one day get over the hump?

• Total voters
Especially those of us who don't even make an effort to be social? What's the point of waking up everyday? You're miserable, you're lonely, your life is repetitive and you're depressed. All the while everyone around you is happy and enjoying life. However, instead of attempting to make things better or just giving up (offing yourself) you continue to stand idle at the fork in the road and ride things out, why?

for those of you who know you won't get any better I'd like to know why haven't you just quit? (especially those 30 and up)

I'm not attempting to put anyone on the spot, these questions are for everyone, myself included, I just want to know why we continue to do what we do.

I've gotten better in some aspects. I try to solve my problems indirectly since I can't seem to do it directly. Get as much exercise as possible. Take up hobbies and continuously learn new things. Try and interact with people I deem friendly.

For me the future is uncertain. I felt like giving up a couple of years ago. But I purposely cut down the pressure I put on myself (work, family pressure, peer pressure... etc)

Shift

I wonder that very same thing.

I think maybe because I still have hope that things will get better, even though right now it seems like I'm going to be miserable forever. Which doesn't really make much sense.

I have to have hope..
but as time passes :/
iunno i am young and things could change.. but still u never know, not like im making some progress.. :/

btw this thread was partially inspired by me stumbling across this documentary

YouTube - Virginia Tech Massacre Part 1

Now I don't agree with what this kid did, it was tragic and he's an ******* for it. However, his personality sounds a lot like some of the people on this forum (especially his extreme shyness and depression). The film is kinda sad actually but ultimately its hard to feel pity for him because of how he decided to end things.

But the point is....

he took initiative and didn't remain idle whether we like the outcome or not.

(btw for the feds and mods watching this thread NO I have no plans to do such things)

da_illest101

I seriously doubt i'll get over it completely, I made a lot of progress but there is still a long way to go. What I'm working on is to feel comfortable around people that i don't know

206Raider

SA will never be over in my opinion but I'm at a point where it doesn't really effect me. My own problems are things I brought on myself and I have to look deep into myself and change and not use SA as an excuse anymore. I don't really care if I'm quiet, not everyone has to listen to themselves talk all day.

combat

Now I don't agree with what this kid did, it was tragic and he's an ******* for it. However, his personality sounds a lot like some of the people on this forum (especially his extreme shyness and depression). The film is kinda sad actually but ultimately its hard to feel pity for him because of how he decided to end things.

But the point is....

(btw for the feds and mods watching this thread NO I have no plans to do such things)

Sorry but this is ridiculous. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that pisses me off every time some a**hole like that does this... people start to assume that anyone who is extremely shy and quiet is a potential psychopath. His personality is nothing like most people on this forum and I find the very suggestion offensive.

xxaimsxx

I have hope! Well today was a great example for me. Things can change in an instant.
I started the day feeling very tired and not wanting to go out in public but i had to do some things.
I nearly cried going through the crowds in a supermarket which has never happened the last 5 + times going out recently. I honestly think though it was to do with me being up all night so therefore being weepy and sleepy.
Anyways cut a long story short i saw this guy probably around my age? maybe abit older and he was staring at me and i thought 'Oh great another person thinks im weired/shy.' Anyway next thing i knowhes wolf whistling at me and later i spotted him again with his mate and they were trying to get my attention shouting me over. It was embaressing but made me smile and made me feel confident throughout the day. The way i look is battle for me so yeah that was nice. :)

So people there IS hope at the end of the tunnel as they say. ;)

Septor

I will get better or at least I hope so.I still have to many misgiving about myself to really say how much I will.So I think I will get better but I will never be as good as a normal person.:confused:

Luke1993

He was a puke worm, and the ultimate coward and egomaniac.

I wouldn't say he was a coward, not a lot of people would be brave enough to kill someone and then kill themselves. Not approving what he did of course.

To answer the question at hand, I think I will get better!

philly2bits

I'd be content with it not being such a hindrance instead of getting over it completely. I've changed enough over time to know that it is possible to get better, but an effort has to be made. More then likely no one will get better without trying, and once your in the mindset that you're a lost cause, you make it that much harder on yourself to get out and make an effort.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that pisses me off every time some a**hole like that does this... people start to assume that anyone who is extremely shy and quiet is a potential psychopath. His personality is nothing like most people on this forum and I find the very suggestion offensive.

true.

but again, he did something about it, whether we like it or not

His personality is nothing like most people on this forum and I find the very suggestion offensive.

I'm sure you probably sincerely mean that, doesn't make it true. Obviously none of us are crazed murderers, that is correct. However the majority of us are shy loners like he was.

and lastly, what he did was terrible, cowardly etc etc, i already went into that. I never justified what he did, I just acknowledged the fact that he didn't remain idle like the majority of people with S.A. His actions, as tragic as they were gave me the idea to make this thread. What are we going to do? remain idle? fix our problems and have a happy ending, or just give up hope?

Last edited:

lunarla

btw this thread was partially inspired by me stumbling across this documentary

YouTube - Virginia Tech Massacre Part 1

But the point is....

I just watched that entire documentary, though I probably shouldn't have because that kind of thing feeds my paranoia. Throughout it, I highly considered never going back to school. That will pass though. At any rate, what he did was very demented and cowardly. What initiative? He wasn't taking a stand against anything, he was targeting random kids from his school. His videotapes and writings were highly melodramatic and egotistical. When we have SA I realize that any incidents feel very amplified. I understand that you said you would never do such things. But there's a huge difference between him and other people who are anti-social. He obviously had an infatuation with the columbine shootings and highly admired the people who carried that out. This kind of thinking, to me, shows low insight and low intellect. Not to mention zero compassion. It was said in the documentary that he was shy and insecure in combination with being arrogant which is very dangerous. He had this inflated representation of himself in his mind but because of his SA he could never rightfully portray that. So he had all those fantasy and fantasy characters which eventually led to the idiotic, selfish thing he did. He separated himself from everyone else in such a way that everyone else was completely against him. And the thing is, any one of us with SA to whichever extent too could have been sitting in one of those classrooms and he wouldn't have cared to know that we related to him in even the tiniest way at some point. I felt sorry for him in bits in the beginning of the documentary, but I think he did quite enough of that for himself.

I don't think his personality ultimately relates to the majority of us here. There's many details of his case which made him such a person that did the things he did which aren't even present in me and many of us. I honestly don't think I have an ounce of violence in me. He had a huge ego - compared himself to freaking Moses and Jesus. If anything, I think the point of this is to further seek help for any problems and maintain a level of compassion for others even if some of us may feel excluded.