What book are you currently reading?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've been doing some reading lately, a nice change of pace! I recently finished the John Green Library, and am now starting this bad boy

9780517226957_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Kiwong

2312 by Kim Stanley. Her prose jumps around a lot and makes it hard to follow, but I haven't finished many sci-fi books recently. I spent ten pages thinking midgets were a type of alien because of her weird style of introducing future culture and new people, and I'm still not 100% sure I've got this right. But an alien police officer wouldn't have a ponytail... right? So a "little", despite the "looking up at them like a langur or marmoset", must be a human...

I'm also in the middle of Jamie McGuire's Red Hill, but I don't like this one, either. The author has the unique talent of accomplishing nothing, not even character development or a good fight scene, in five chapters with at least six main characters during the zombie apocalypse.

Lot of weird stuff on bestseller lists these days that isn't 50 Shades. Lem's Solaris was the last enjoyable book I read--and it's from the 60's.

Kim Stanley is a man? He wrote blue mars, red mars, green mars.

nodejesque

Being Mortal, by Atul Gawande. I have come to really enjoy his books, because they always have a strong impact on me.

He describes medicine in a way that it doesn't feel cold and detached.

"Medical professionals concentrate on repair of health, not sustenance of the soul. ... It's been an experiment in social engineering, putting our fates in the hands of people valued more for their technical prowess than for their understanding of human needs."

He has never disappointed with his work.

F0AM

9780765376459.jpg

Synopsis: Most people only know one London; but what if there were several? Kell is one of the last Travelers—magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel Londons. There’s Grey London, dirty and crowded and without magic, home to the mad king George III. There’s Red London, where life and magic are revered. Then, White London, ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London - but no one speaks of that now.

Very cool so far :thumbup:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
51fspn-zzSL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've excited about this. I did something like this when I was younger with an online program. 52 changes, 52 weeks. I feel good about it continuing to help push me into the right direction.

AtTheGates

Banned
Ghettoside by Jill Leovy...

Its a non-fiction book by a former journalist about the victims of gang violence and the homicide detectives who try to help them find solace and solve cases/find out who is responsible.

Interesting excerpt: "Among the dead was Anthony Jenkins. He was shot on the sidewalk behind Manual Arts High school in the 77th street division in the early evening three days after the shooting of Dovon Harris. Jenkins lay bleeding for some time in plain view. Children rolled past him on their skateboards. After a long interval, a passerby called 911. When detective Jim Yoshida of the 77th arrived there was a crowd at the scene. As he and his colleagues began to investigate "They were laughing at us", Yoshida reported later. "Laughing at us for going to the effort". Asked about the Jenkins case, Yoshida erupted "No body cares!" he said. "Nobody cared about him! nobody gives a shit!"

damn....I feel sorry for the guy..His life mattered too, just as much as anyone else's .

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
At the moment I'm reading this book:

51i6uokHslL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then I might move on to this one, as I haven't read it since my 2nd years of secondary school:

of-mice-and-men.jpg