Were you in any clubs in high school?

Were you involved in anything in high school?

• Yes, I was in clubs/band/athletics all throughout high school

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Yes, I was in clubs/band/athletics for a portion of high school

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Not really/No, I didn't do anything

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Livemylife

I didn't do anything in high school, literally. I'm trying to figure out 1) how abnormal this is (abnormal or SUPER abnormal) and 2)if this is a trend among people with social phobia.

vickiekitties

No way. It seemed like the same kids were at Saturday detention all the time, everybody just slept through it though.

I was in clubs throughout school - Band, Art Club, Spanish Club, NHS. I think the size of the school matters. I had about 500 people in my entire high school and only 90 in my graduating class. Almost everyone was involved in at least one thing or another. I'd imagine it's a bit more frightening to join in on activities at larger schools.

jaim38

I never joined any band, choir, or athletics team in high school because it would require me to perform in front of an audience, which I was scared to do. However, I joined multiple clubs as an inactive member, just so I could have something to put on my college applications. I was never officer of any club. All I did was go to club meetings and sit there quietly. I didn't speak up or run for office.

I was in the BETA club as an inactive member, and I was a very active member of the FFA (Future Farmers of America), because I took the Agriculture class and really enjoyed it.

Scandic123

I'm 17 and I've only been to a party about three times and never at a club. That and the fact that I generally don't like alcohol makes me stand out from the rest of the Danish youth.

Phoenixx

The only club I was in was Yearbook, and I loved it. I tried Foreign Language Club for a year, until I realized the main goal of our fund raising was to send the kids in French class on a field trip every year to Canada, then I quit. (Why don't us Spanish kids get a trip somewhere, huh??) I was never a band or choir geek, I'm not a musical person and it was something that never interested me. FFA was odd to me, never got into that either. Sports made up the majority of my school, something of which I was never interested in either. Not to mention it was nothing but a popularity contest anyway. Same with Student Council and National Honor Society. With those you had to be picked by the students and the teachers, and if you were a nobody, you had no luck. I somehow managed to get into Junior National Honor Society when I was in 8th grade. I still don't know how that happened. Makes me wonder if it was a mistake. :giggle:

I was in clubs throughout school - Band, Art Club, Spanish Club, NHS. I think the size of the school matters. I had about 500 people in my entire high school and only 90 in my graduating class. Almost everyone was involved in at least one thing or another. I'd imagine it's a bit more frightening to join in on activities at larger schools.
^ I agree. My school had about 500 people too, give or take, with my graduating class at around 60 something. (I also went to a tech school aside from high school, and had about 30 in the graduating class of my program, so altogether I basically graduated with 80+ people.) Even though I was anxious with the small population of students in my school, I think if my school was bigger I probably wouldn't have joined a single thing at all.

Odo

Banned
I guess my high school was bigger... I didn't join any clubs. My friends and I were sort of rebels and we spent a lot of time getting high in the woods.

We had our own band though... I was the sometimes singer. We were never superstars or anything, but it was fun.

coyote

in response to our public school allowing the local chapter of Teens for Christ to meet on school grounds during school hours, a few friends and I formed our own club: "Teens for Satan"

the membership was small, but we were quite active

reportedly the TFC group spent their allotted club meeting hours praying for us

Last edited:

Silatuyok

I went to an extremely small highschool, so basically if there were any extracurricular activities pretty much everyone had to take part. I did choir and drama...but so did everyone else!

megalon

I went to a small school and there really wasn't much to choose from as far as extracurricular activities, but I was on the track team my freshman and sophomore years. I wouldn't have been if not for my mom and a few teachers pushing me to join. I would go home hurting everyday after track practice, but it provided me with plenty of good memories. I can't say the same for the rest of my high school experience.

Livemylife

I never joined any band, choir, or athletics team in high school because it would require me to perform in front of an audience, which I was scared to do. However, I joined multiple clubs as an inactive member, just so I could have something to put on my college applications. I was never officer of any club. All I did was go to club meetings and sit there quietly. I didn't speak up or run for office.
I can count the number of club meetings I went to in 4 years of high school on one hand.

I went to a small school and there really wasn't much to choose from as far as extracurricular activities, but I was on the track team my freshman and sophomore years. I wouldn't have been if not for my mom and a few teachers pushing me to join. I would go home hurting everyday after track practice, but it provided me with plenty of good memories. I can't say the same for the rest of my high school experience.
It was opposite for me. My parents didn't care if I was involved in anything. Never asked or suggested. Although ironically my dad later on told me to "get a life." Ultimately I think my parents didn't want to be bothered with picking me up and dropping me off at things.

I'm 17 and I've only been to a party about three times and never at a club. That and the fact that I generally don't like alcohol makes me stand out from the rest of the Danish youth.
By club I meant school organizations not nightclubs.

Quietguy11

Back then I was hardly interested in going to school let alone joining any clubs. <_< But I see a lot of that in anime that I watch. Examples: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Chronicles Of The Going Home Club, Yuyushiki, etc.

Biev

Um. I was in an intensive music program, so that didn't leave me much time for extracurricular stuff. But I did stay behind on Thursday evenings to watch a friend do theatre practice for a while, mostly so I could avoid being home. The adults in charge picked up on my distress signals and they tried to help me sort through my problems, even though they weren't really teachers or counselors. Eventually though I felt like I owed it to them to participate in a play, to try and make them proud. It backfired, I felt like I kept disappointing them instead and was about to ruin their play. So I dropped out, they felt betrayed, and the relationship was ruined. I still feel really sad about that, though I'm done kicking myself over it. I honestly could not handle the situation any better at the time.

Wow. I didn't mean to share that story, it just came out on its own.

Fighter86

I joined two clubs at separate time intervals in high school. That was at a time when I was not very aware of my SA, the years after that, I wouldn't be caught dead in any club, even normal school attendance was becoming a huge problem.

I selected "Yes, I was in clubs/band/athletics all throughout high school".
But all i did was play a single team sport every weekend (in season). And the odd cross-country running event. But when doing those things, i felt like i didn't really belong in those situations (socially-wise). Near the end I was on the verge of giving them up, which is what i did when school ended.