..weird quirks??

agoraphobickatie

this is an excerpt from my blog :) i figured i'd share it here and see if any of y'all have any random quirks, too??

last night i was setting my alarm for this morning[afternoon], and i got kind of annoyed with one of my 'quirks' (you'll see why).. so i started thinking about some of the weird things that i do and how stupid they are! i figured i'd write them down, so i'll list them here and share my stupid little quirks with you :)

- when i set my alarm, the numbers in the time have to add up to 3, 4, 7 or 11.. for example: 9:02am, 12:01am, etc etc.

- i wet my toothbrush before and after i put the toothpaste on, then proceed to brush my teeth for like five minutes... that's kind of normal for some people, i guess, haha

- every time i pull into my driveway, i take my seat belt off at the same moment/spot when i'm pulling up to the top of the hill before i get in the garage... even though my car yells at me and makes an annoying sound when the car is moving and my seat belt isn't on.

- i eat my food one 'item' at a time.. for example: chicken first, then carrots, then potatoes. and i never mix my food together. or if i'm eating fast food, i'll eat the fries first then the chicken, unless it's arby's, then i eat the chicken then the fries...

- this one is super weird and really hard to explain... when i'm watching tv, i constantly look at the time on the cable box below the tv, and i trace the numbers with my toes over and over again. it even annoys me that i do it, but i can't stop.. and when i'm laying down to go to sleep, i'll write out words and stuff with my toes.. it's so random! like, i'll picture the word in my head and just move my feet in thin air like i'm writing it, except i don't use my fingers, haha.. i do this compulsively and it doesn't stop until i fall asleep, haha

- i simplify my life almost obsessively. i clean out my purse all the time. and i'm always organizing something so i can get rid of stuff... i'll clean out my closet or drawers a few times a month and always find things to throw out. i could probably pack all of my things in about 10 minutes because it's all so organized and i hardly own anything, haha...

- when i'm reading an article or long post online, i constantly click around random places with my mouse and highlight text and click off of it and highlight something else. i don't pay attention to what i'm highlighting, because i'm reading, but i just highlight random blocks of text and click off and highlight more really fast.. that one's kind of difficult to understand unless you see me do it, ha..

so i guess that's all i can think of for now... please tell me you have some weird quirks, too?? =/ haha!

:)

fitftw

I put my steering wheel in the trunk every time I park the car.

I don't enter reverse until I'm 3/4 down the driveway. Our driveway isn't on a hill but my car goes most of the length of it in Neutral, so I see how far I can get, but it never goes all the way down in neutral :(

I also eat one item at a time. If I have a burger and fries, I'll eat one or the other entirely first.

I'm online 90% of my waking life and I only go on a handful of forums/sites....

When I leave the house I grab a bottle of water out of the fridge.

Last edited:

Jake123

Banned
this is an excerpt from my blog :) i figured i'd share it here and see if any of y'all have any random quirks, too??

last night i was setting my alarm for this morning[afternoon], and i got kind of annoyed with one of my 'quirks' (you'll see why).. so i started thinking about some of the weird things that i do and how stupid they are! i figured i'd write them down, so i'll list them here and share my stupid little quirks with you :)

- when i set my alarm, the numbers in the time have to add up to 3, 4, 7 or 11.. for example: 9:02am, 12:01am, etc etc.

I do this except with TV volume, the volume on my computer, etc.

- i wet my toothbrush before and after i put the toothpaste on, then proceed to brush my teeth for like five minutes... that's kind of normal for some people, i guess, haha

I'm obsessed with keeping my teeth clean and white. I have Crest 3D whitening strips, trays, whitening pen, whitening mouthwash and whitening toothpaste.

- i eat my food one 'item' at a time.. for example: chicken first, then carrots, then potatoes. and i never mix my food together. or if i'm eating fast food, i'll eat the fries first then the chicken, unless it's arby's, then i eat the chicken then the fries...
I do this too. I can't stand when food is touching

- this one is super weird and really hard to explain... when i'm watching tv, i constantly look at the time on the cable box below the tv, and i trace the numbers with my toes over and over again. it even annoys me that i do it, but i can't stop.. and when i'm laying down to go to sleep, i'll write out words and stuff with my toes.. it's so random! like, i'll picture the word in my head and just move my feet in thin air like i'm writing it, except i don't use my fingers, haha.. i do this compulsively and it doesn't stop until i fall asleep, haha

Wow, I thought I was the only one that did the "tracing" thing...

- when i'm reading an article or long post online, i constantly click around random places with my mouse and highlight text and click off of it and highlight something else. i don't pay attention to what i'm highlighting, because i'm reading, but i just highlight random blocks of text and click off and highlight more really fast.. that one's kind of difficult to understand unless you see me do it, ha..

I used to compulsively left click constantly for no reason.

Katie I think we have the same disease, lol

IamThisOne

Some of these aren't really "quirks" just weird stuff I do.

I also do that food thing.

At my workstation at work or school, I have to have everything aligned straight.

Sometimes when writing, I will lower my face extremely close to the paper.

I will watch the same movie over and over again for a few days.

I have to wear black shoes and black socks. I cannot wear any other color because I feel exposed.

I can't wear shorts in public because I feel exposed.

I cannot wear sunglasses because I'm not cool enough, same goes for hats.

My shirts have to be either black or gray, or I feel exposed.

I cannot stand to be touched.

I talk to myself.

When I play an RPG I will make up stories to go along with the game. For instance, I made up a huge back story to go with my Oblivion character.

Ever since I was little I would always say the phrase "I'm sorry lord" in my mind or out loud. Kind of weird considering I'm no longer religious. I will sometimes click my teeth or tap on something to the syllables of the phrase.

I like things to be straight and symmetrical. For instance, if there are 4 pencils lined together and one is slanted, I will straighten it, you know what I mean.

I really hate it when someone is walking behind me or is behind me while I am writing or typing.

I tend to bite my lips and the inside of my cheek.

I bite my fingernails.

Last edited:

zav943

I am ashamed to say that I have already read it on your blog!

Some of my quirks:

- I pull open my microwave door JUST before it hits 0, just so I don't hear that annoying beep sound
- I hate having any limbs dangling off my bed because I'm afraid something might grab me from under the bed
- I always hit the CLEAR button on my calculator a hundred times even though once is enough
- I have a pretty massive ipod playlist, but I skip 90% of the songs on my jogs anyway...
- If I see another car approaching a 4-way stop, I'll slow down in the hopes that they get their first so we don't have to think who has the right of way afterwards (only problem is that they do the same thing everytime)
- Every time I see the word Thesaurus, I think of a dinosaur
- sometimes, out of the blue, I get this self-existential realization...like...holy f'ing sh!t, I'm a living breathing thing...And then I freak out a bit
- How come I've never EVER used the shift key on the right side of my keyboard?!
- I still think the 1990 was 10 years ago and WWII was 50 years ago...and the world population is 6 billion!

(I AM NOT INSANE!)

Bonus:

- I ALWAYS throw away food packages in the trash bin only to go pick them up 1 minute later to check how long I'm supposed to cook the thing for...and then I'll go check it 2 more times to confirm
- Somehow, I always put the USB cord in upside down...every single time
- Sometimes, if I was having a nice dream, I'll go back to sleep to try to finish it
- I get these phantom vibrations in my pocket, thinking it's my cellphone ringing...I guess I just long for someone to call me :(

Last edited:

IamThisOne

- I pull open my microwave door JUST before it hits 0, just so I don't hear that annoying beep sound

- sometimes, out of the blue, I get this self-existential realization...like...holy f'ing sh!t, I'm a living breathing thing...And then I freak out a bit

I do the microwave thing too.

I have those existential thoughts all the time, but I get kind of disturbed when I think about my existence. Like I shouldn't be here.

I will also put on my turn signal way before I get to the turn, just in case.

Jake123

Banned
lol, does anyone else force up the toast before it pops to avoid the scary/surprising sound of the toast popping out? I swear every time it pops out I almost have a heart attack

- Every time I see the word Thesaurus, I think of a dinosaur

LMAO! @ thesaurus thing
I get that realization too sometimes and freak out too :D

Tiercel

Unless I'm playing a game, the fingers on my left hand are always tapping. When I'm playing a game, it goes from my left hand to my feet.

I left-click a lot for no apparent reason when reading things, too.

I can't sleep unless I put on my Burt's Bees lip balm every night.

Since fries were mentioned, I'll say that I can't touch them. I hate getting my hands dirty, so I hold the container and eat them either one or several at a time.

Also, every time I eat at a fast food place I have to refill my drink on my way out. Even if I already had a cup of something caffeinated and I know that caffeine makes me shaky and jittery as all hell. I guess that makes me an idiot? :confused:

I always try to clean my plate and utensils as much as possible without actually licking my plate. I guess it's the neatness thing again, not wanting to put dirty dishes in the sink. Which, again, doesn't make too much sense....

When I'm done playing my guitars, I always turn the volume knobs down to 0 before putting them away. And with my Squier Strat I have to push the pickup selector switch to the neck pickup.

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh! Speaking of toast, any time I toast bread or a bagel I decide when it's ready by the way it smells. I could just figure out how to set the thing, but it never seems to come out right when I do it that way.

Last edited:

IamThisOne

Also, every time I eat at a fast food place I have to refill my drink on my way out. Even if I already had a cup of something caffeinated and I know that caffeine makes me shaky and jittery as all hell. I guess that makes me an idiot? :confused:

I do that too. Sodas expensive so you might as well get your money's worth. I always fill mine several times with no ice so I can get as much as possible. I love soda.

Iseesky

We share a lot of quirks! :p I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

-Obsessively turning off the lights and tap. Even for other people. Recycle and reuse everything. I lose respect for people who don't recycle...Especially when there's a garbage can and recycling bin next to each other and they throw their can or bottle in the garbage. Grrrr!

-Can't sleep with my bedroom door open. I'm terrified that someone will come into the house and enter my room without me hearing. At least if the door was closed I would hear the door knob turn if anyone tried to come in.

-I CAN'T sleep with socks on. Regardless of how cold it is outside. Yet, in the winter I sleep with a heater at the end of my bed. Though, I don't like socks in general.

-I find loose pants uncomfortable and when most girls change into their sweats when they get home from school, I stay in my jeans. The tighter the better!

-Go out of my way to step on crunchy leaves or, larger than all the others, jagged rocks.

-I hate smoking, but love the smell of a smoker's clothes (but never admit it). I think it brings back memories of family get togethers because some of my favourite relatives smoke. Shame on them! But they can't be smoking around me. I just like the smell not the smoking itself.

-I almost always sneeze after coming out of a dark building when it's really bright outside.

My worst though...

-I have empathy for EVERYTHING. Even inanimate objects. Not so bad anymore, but when I was younger I couldn't leave just one cheerio by itself in the bowl. I'd leave two so they could accompany each other into the slop bucket. Or if I'm eating them, I couldn't eat just one by itself. The journey from the mouth to the stomach is a difficult one and it would be awful to make the cheerios or smarties (or whatever) travel alone. :( The fastest way to my heart is by, upon finding a bug in the house, gently taking it outside as opposed to killing it. I'm terrified of spiders, but I'd never ever kill one if I didn't absolutely have to. If one's in the house I have to get someone (usually my dad) to get it for me. If nobody will (I'm the only one scared of spiders in my house) I just leave it be and hope it doesn't crawl under my door in the middle of the night. My friends just love to tell me how they find huge spiders in their house and spray them with bug spray until they die. Breaks my heart. ::(: The only living creatures I kill are mosquitos. And even then I feel bad! Only females drink blood and they need it in order to have babies. :( Sometimes I love being like that. Sometimes it's Hell.

Last edited:

Iseesky

I always try to clean my plate and utensils as much as possible without actually licking my plate. I guess it's the neatness thing again, not wanting to put dirty dishes in the sink. Which, again, doesn't make too much sense....

It totally makes sense to me! My parents hate that I do that. Normally I just rinse the food off, though. We don't use a dish washer most of the time and washing sticky, food covered plates and forks and spoons is just awful.

IamThisOne

- I get these phantom vibrations in my pocket, thinking it's my cellphone ringing...I guess I just long for someone to call me :(

I get that too. I stopped carrying my cellphone with me (except when I'm driving) specifically for that reason. I rarely get a call/text.

agoraphobickatie

zav! i do almost all of those things, too!!! someone else said they can't sleep with socks on, i can't either! i will lay there with freezing cold feet..... and without socks on, i feel even more unprotected, because like you, i can't hang any limbs off the bed (or have my feet uncovered) or i feel like something will creep up from under my bed and grab me! lmao! i even have to have pillows and stuff on either side of me, apparently this thing under my bed is allergic to blankets and pillows?

i'm glad a ton of us are alike :) i thought i was the only person who did super weird things like this..... haha

and tiercel, i must put on lip balm or carmex before bed, too! i often lay there and get really good and sleepy and then realize i forgot because my lips feel dry and i get pissed because i have to get back up.... =/

Danfalc

Banned
I have a quirk of re-reading what I write in a message or thread far too much before I post,or feeling silly afterwards and deleting it.I guess this is more of an anxiety/insecure thing than a quirk though.

-Ornaments I have to have in pairs or even number,and they have to be symmetrical otherwise it bugs the hell out of me.I'm kind of anal about my flat being tidy all together.

-Like the sock thing,but I can't sleep if I'm wearing anything,clothes just feel so horrible in bed to me.I also feel too warm if I have any more than the one duvet/sheet.

-I get really engrossed in computer games and books,if I really like a book I will often read it in one or two night's,having the patience of a kid and not being able to put it down,same with games.

-Another game/book quirk,if I do happen to have a few days away from a book I was currently reading or a game I was playing,even if I have a saved game or bookmark,I tend to have to start again further back for some reason.

Felgen

- I don't like humming noises
- I don't like fluorescent lightning
- I always drive with the driver's side window open (except when it rains heavily)
- I find the noise of diesel engines extremely comfortable
- Also, like many people, I think of a dinosaur everytime I hear the word 'thesaurus' :)

Thesaurus_t-shirt.gif