Unhelpful things 'sane' people say

theoutsider

You could be, like, my sidekick.
You're too quiet.
Man up!
**Sigh** Did you NOT understand? (when I ask for clarification)

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Cheer up

Ye jist need tae boost yer confidence

Y'know whit you should dae...

Ah know how ye feel

You're really selfish y'know that

D'ye no' like me or summit?

Huv ah done summit wrong?

SmileMore

-Cheer up
-You should go out more
-Stop being so self conscious
-It's not that bad
-Everyone gets nervous
-Why are you so quiet?
-Try harder
-There are people worse off than you. Don't be ungrateful
-Why don't you have a boyfriend?

nicole1

No sympathy from me.

I hate when people say this. It's not only showing that he/she is truly a ****, but that they will never understand. Who asked them for sympathy? It takes so much to open up and it's more about sharing and informing than asking for their sympathy, which they can definitely keep.

Something-Vague

Comments said to me in the past-

"Why can't you just go in the store, make the phone call, etc.? No one is looking at you. You are being paranoid."

"Have you taken your meds?" whether taking them or not, whether mood is related or not to mental illness.

"Things aren't so bad. Lighten up!" aka "Just look on the bright side."

"You're too sensitive. I was only joking." after making extremely rude comment which targets week areas of self-esteem

"You were doing so good. What the hell happened? I guess you'll never get better."

"There are people out there that have it much worse than you. You should be grateful." also a comment said to me when I tried to commit suicide at 16 by a doctor'
"I could be curing cancer instead of helping you. Maybe you should have done it since you're so ungrateful."

Last edited:

Zaki

"There are people out there that have it much worse than you. You should be grateful." also a comment said to me when I tried to commit suicide at 16 by a doctor'
"I could be curing cancer instead of helping you. Maybe you should have done it since you're so ungrateful."

Wow...seriously? That is appalling. I'm so sorry.

SilentBird

Not necessarily unhelpful, just questions that induce embarrassment when people assume I am sane.

"How are you?"

"What are you doing this weekend?" or "How was your weekend?"

"What are you doing tonight?"

"What is your job?"

"Do you have a girlfriend?" (... "why not?")

"What do you do in your spare time?"

"What are your goals?"

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?

Seriously man, I think if a doctor I was going to for help had said that to me, I would have beaten his f**king face in.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Wow people are mean o_O

The most common and annoying I can think of right now is "why don't you talk more", or "you should talk more" and all its variants.

Get over it is a good one too, though I completely agree this is the way to go, the problem is that it's not very helpful to keep saying this to someone who obviously don't know how.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
"Duuuude, snap out of it, man!" - My "cool" uncle, who thinks it's still 1984 and he's on the road with Ted Nugent or something.

dany

Stop being like that...anxious
You act strange...
Stop being shy... (like I have an on/off switch or something)

Why are you so nervous? Don't be nervous.

Oh man, I'm sorry, my "nervous" switch was on, silly me... let me fix that. There, nervousness gone.

Goblinko

Why am I so quiet. That's what I hear the most.

I can relate to this. Since I was a kid, people always asked me this question.

"Other people will appear when you're doing what you love." I love classic science fiction, video games, and writing, which I do all the time when I'm not studying or working. Speaking of, when was the last time you had the balls to submit your creative work for editors to judge (and potentially tens of thousands of readers if you're successful)? Because I've done it multiple times this year.

I'm still waiting for the "other people" part. :giggle:
Patience is a virtue, they say. :giggle:

Some other pearls of wisdom:

"You need to get out more and make friends." (To where ? Since I live in an abandoned favela located in the middle of the frigging nowhere! I feel like a character from the "Lost" TV Show, no joke.)

"Beware the nice/quiet ones." (Generalisations: makes you sound smart. A smart d-bag.)

"You don't do anything in life. Go get a job to keep your mind busy." (And what about writing stories and researching stuff related to my self-esteem and SA issues ? Doesn't these count ? Screw you!)

"I wish you could be like [insert person here]." (Go back to rest, mom. If you like him/her so much why don't you adopt them ?)

"Be yourself." (How can I be anything else besides myself ? :idontknow:)

Last edited:

Zaki

I've been asked if I'm "special" or handicapped, and have been spoken to with rude sarcasm and condescension. I've been talked down to as if I'm some stupid joke. Admittedly, I'm not the most eloquent communicator in the world and I get nervous/hesitant at times, but I'm not a freaking imbecile.

Last edited: