Theory: Too Smart for Your Own Good?

Matt88360

I have a theory about why I'm like this way, and I've heard other smart people often have great social difficulties; that the stereotypes and stock characters are largely based in reality. So I figured I would run it by people on here and see if this sounds familiar to anyone.

When I am in social settings, I process far more information than ordinary people, so it becomes jarring for me to engage in any social interaction, leading me to avoid it because it can be literally painful. For example, in any given social exchange, you have to consider (1) word choice, (2) tone of voice, and (3) body language; and for any of these three there are numerous particular examples under each of them (different gestures, words, and tones); and numerous ways to interpret each specific example. And I have to process it all and respond immediately. It's too much to handle. So I don't bother.

Now I took an IQ test in first grade (1994-1995) where I scored a 125 on the Stanford-Binet scale; and took another one in 2009 where I scored a 123 on the Wechsler scale. Either translates to the ninety-third percentile.

Are there other people in this group who have high IQ scores, or who are generally very intelligent, and have similar experiences to my own? I appreciate any helpful input. I think I'm onto something with this but would like to verify it with other examples.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
This theory comes up on a regular basis on spw. Never with any actual evidence to support it. Over-thinking is not the same as higher thinking. Also, it's emotionally appealing to believe in, which should be another warning sign.

Me, I've only got an IQ of 1 so I can't relate to all this superior intelligence stuff. :sad:

jaim38

I don't know my IQ so I can't really say I'm "smart." I've been called "stupid" so many times. But in my experience, I do know a handful of very smart people who are socially popular. They also possess above average looks. In my experience, having a combo of smarts, good looks, and at least average social skills can get you far.

ImNotMyIllness

Our condition is tied to obsessive thoughts and anxiety, not to mention an unrealistic perception of other people's behaviors. It has nothing to do with IQ.

Let me answer that with a short story:

I once tried to fix my TV from a strange distortion that I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. I spend nearly 5 hours thinking of all the things that could be wrong with it, until I gave up. I picked up and put away my tools. When I picked up the screwdriver OF WHICH I KNEW WAS MAGNETIC, the distortion disappeared. Yeah~

I repeat; 5 hours.

Now, I'm also highly socially phobic, but it sure as heck isn't because of my blooming intelligence or observation skills. Everyone has a different trigger for their fear and mistrust of other people, and that would be the real cause of social phobia.

coyote

IQ isn't a measurement of how MUCH someone thinks, just how WELL they think

if you feel you might be thinking too much

try to not think so much

see if that helps

I'm Not There

I had my IQ tested when I was 12 and scored 119. I have no idea though why it is exactly that I hardly talk in social situations. I've always thought that I'm just a really sensitive person and can't handle all the different stimuli.

Finally

I have started seeing encouraging signs with my SA by being less observent of people and my enviroment. I used to take pride in seeing every single person come into a room and try to pick up on every conversation around me. It was exhausting and the person I was with suffers. Its impossible to have a decent conversation with someone when my mind is keeping track of 100 others things at any one moment.

I'm Not There

Generally speaking, having an IQ in the 115-130 range means that you're "smarter" than about 84% of the population.

Edit: also, Pacific_Loner, the more someone's IQ is under 115, the less likely will it be that they'll ever get their IQ tested :).

Last edited:

awkwardamanda

I took an IQ test once but I can't remember the score. I just know it was above average. I have a very low EQ. That's emotional intelligence. They are two different things.

MikeyC

Let me answer that with a short story:

I once tried to fix my TV from a strange distortion that I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. I spend nearly 5 hours thinking of all the things that could be wrong with it, until I gave up. I picked up and put away my tools. When I picked up the screwdriver OF WHICH I KNEW WAS MAGNETIC, the distortion disappeared. Yeah~

I repeat; 5 hours.
Bummer! :bigsmile:

Fiona, the girl I'm interested in, is one of the smartest people I've met. So smart that she feels the need to correct people if they're wrong about something, which is a trait I'm hoping won't affect my attraction to her in the long run.

She doesn't have social anxiety, so it can happen to anyone where intelligence can work against you.

chris11

I had to take a WAIS when I was younger. My IQ is 137, although it might be higher (I took the short form). Anways, IQ is bull****. I don't socailize well because social problems are complicated

cowboyup

I was advised I could skip a grade in school, but my parents pulled me out of school to help with the siblings so I never got to finish school. That being said, I've never formally taken an IQ test though when I was in school, I enjoyed it and my grades were straight A's.

While in crowds, party, social gathering, even the grocery store, I tend to observe, calculate, investigate, look at body language among humans, that sort of thing. But I think my propensity to do so is in correlation to all the criminal profiling and classes regarding serial killers, investigation, and criminology in general I've taken as well. "Know your surroundings", & all that stuff.

But then again, I do think that it is common for SAers and the like to be 'natural born overthinkers' as well.

A86

reading things on this forum I cannot help but come to the conclusion most people here are of above average intelligence and pretty well informed.

I wonder if this intelligent perception is picked up during school years, as not having social distractions allows one to spend more effort/focus at the tasks at hand allowing one to better learn and educate themselves with what is taught.

more willingness to learn rather than be socialialy distracted? just a thought.

cowboyup

reading things on this forum I cannot help but come to the conclusion most people here are of above average intelligence and pretty well informed.

I wonder if this intelligent perception is picked up during school years, as not having social distractions allows one to spend more effort/focus at the tasks at hand allowing one to better learn and educate themselves with what is taught.

more willingness to learn rather than be socialialy distracted? just a thought.

I've observed this as well. "These peeps on here, they do bees smart"

I remember an episode of The Big Bang Theory, "The Gothowitz Deviation" episode, where Sheldon tried to use operant conditioning on Penny. It was quite funny. One line Sheldon said, " Interesting. Sex works even better than chocolate to modify behavior. I wonder if anyone else has stumbled on to that."

Reason why I bring this up is your line regarding more willingness to learn rather than be socially distracted. The fictional character of Sheldon Cooper would do just about anything to avoid social situations or interactions between people - he'd rather think of himself as a robot, lol.

Not saying I think of myself as a robot and yes I know Sheldon is pretend, lol, but the show highlights some interesting and quizzical facts about human relations at times.