The positive thread

Social-E-Aukward

I've had a great job since May 2nd last year, and we're about to go live with a huge overseas educational platform in a few weeks. The "official" beta testing starts this weekend, and I finished wrapping everything up for the test launch this week. I'm the "mastermind" behind the technology side of things... so even if my co-workers and boss don't understand me personally, I still feel kinda important. :)

I also fixed a couple things on my car this last week, and changed the oil for the first time on my own yesterday.

I've got enough money saved for at least 2 classes this summer, so I can finally get back to school and finish my associate's degree.

I'm planning to go look at an apartment tomorrow. I've lived with my parents all my life, and this 8 people house-hold is driving me nuts. I've talked myself out of going to find out more about this specific apartment complex for three weeks, 'cause I'm so nervous I'll get my hopes up, put in an application... and get turned down. Not really a social phobia issue there, but a self-important/self-image bust major ...but, I'm going to do it anyway, I'll never know until I try right?

I've also got a chance at spending V-day with the coolest girl I've ever known. Even if we're not together right now, it's nice to know she wants to spend that specific special day with me.

... and WOW... this post makes me look so incredibly optimistic compared to my last two today. LOL! :)

TRRobin

That's a great report man. Sounds like things are going good on your side.

I still live at home, but like you, I can not wait to leave the madness lol. Enjoy the freedom when it comes, and good luck with the girl man.

mart22n

Hi all :)

I think I've recently become a positive person. So that's one positive thing about me :p

Thanks for all the advice I got from this site for now being where I am in life!

If you want to know something specific, PM me :)

i really love the world although i can't do much for it because i don't interact with its population . i care about people a LOT but never show it. i also thank my social anxiety for being the reason i really really value being an individual. that is so important to me, and people who can do that i have found that i admire those the most. and i am glad for it in myself too

it has also made me hyper-sensitive to others' feelings (perhaps this was already overly heightened before, but definitely increased as time went on), because although it's a curse, it's a blessing too. i always know what others are feeling, know what they want or need, or don't want at the moment.

NickyNacker

Wow I finally have something to post in this thread! This morning I was feeling really down and decided I needed some fresh air and ended up spontaneously (spelling fail I think?) walking around the block which is something I have huge anxiety about (I never leave the house). It felt really good and I was thinking the whole time "Why was I ever scared of this?". I did feel a LITTLE anxious though and had the stupid fears in the back of my head like "Oh god what if that guy I went to elementary with is in his yard and says something to me..."
And then after I got back home my sister came over and asked if I wanted to go shopping with her and my nephew. And said yes where as usually I would say no and stay at home being depressed. And then we went to eat lunch at our grandparents. So today was really great and I feel good/optimistic.

Last edited:

worrywort

I just talked to a girl!!! woohoo!!....ok, I know that sounds really sad to most people, but I don't care, I'm really proud! :D

I was walking my dog, and there was this girl jogging round the park. I'd seen her a few times before. The last time, my dog approached her [I trained him well! ;)] and she gave me a smile. This time she was jogging round again, and I was just imagining to myself [as you do!] how a conversation between us might go, and I imagined she might stop somewhere to warm down and I could ask her how far she ran for this time, and whether she was training for anything. Then suddenly, as I came round the corner, would you believe it, there she was, warming down over a little bridge....and all of a sudden I realised I might actually have to do this!!! and suddenly I could feel my heart racing in my chest and I got incredibly nervous and totally lost that natural sense of calm and confidence. Usually, at this point, I'd bottle it because I'd know that if I attempted it in this condition I'd more likely come across as a weird pervy stalker and I'd totally bodge it and it would just be bad for all concerned......but I also knew that whenever I bottle it I then have to carry around that feeling of regret and self loathing for the rest of the day....and I just felt sick of doing that. I want to live my life and take risks dammit! ::p: So I tried my hardest to remain composed and calm......and I DID IT!!! :D....I asked her, and she answered, and I mentioned that I run round this park sometimes too, and she was like, oh right, yea it's like 1.2 miles right? and I was like yea, about 2k! hahaha!!! lol! which I'm sure sounds really lame, but I just had to share it with someone, and this is the only place I know where people might appreciate it!

ok, thats all.....god knows what I'm gonna do if I ever run into her again, but we'll cross that hurdle if it ever comes up!

mart22n

Good job, Worrywort!!!

That's how you begin to become a real man (I suppose you are a man, right) - by taking challenges. BTW, I found out about a good book for "social phobics" and also others who want to achieve something - "Little Voice Mastery". Talks about how to win your inner battles (which social phobics tend to lose?).

I'm inspired by people like Worrywort who go the hard and the right way. I think a real man's life's sometimes hard, but I believe it's ALWAYS worth living ;)

Martin

Last edited:

DarkPhoenix

I helped the old lady next door to set up her new tv the other day, yesterday she came to my door with a big chocolate cake she had baked for me lol. Its nice to feel appreciated:)

EscapeArtist

I helped the old lady next door to set up her new tv the other day, yesterday she came to my door with a big chocolate cake she had baked for me lol. Its nice to feel appreciated:)
Awwwww :3 That's sooo sweet and special :) Some old people are so thoughtful..

GoBlue72

I went out to the bar last night, sang two karaoke songs in front of people I didn't know(after a few beers of course), and also walked up to a couple girls and talked to them out of the blue. I'm reading a few self-help books about shyness and self-esteem, and have decided to give positive thinking a try to see what happens.

Luxy

finally seeing my thought processes change and things improving. Finally climbing outta this hole ive been in for too many years!!