Soulmates?

Ok...theres already a similar active thread re. "do you believe in true love [/friendship]"...but Im wondering...

Do you believe in the concept of soulmates?
And what does this word mean to you?

This poem from Rumi pretty much sums up what it means to me:
"The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you,
not realising how blind that was.

Lovers dont finally meet somewhere,
they're in each other all along."

EnigmatiConduit

I'm not sure i believe in soul mates... I think there are many people who are suited to you in the world, thus why people can be torn between two lovers etc. I believe that you find someone to love and you choose them, and then they are your one and only.

EnigmatiConduit

This is impossible. It's a very nice thought, but lets really think about the idea of soulmates. Just one person for you in the bigm wide world? It's statistically improbable that the vast majority of people would ever meet their 'soulmate'. I also feel this cheapens a lot of people's appreciation for a relationship. If it doesn't 'work out', then it's onto the next person. The way that it is portrayed is that you'll meet this statistical anomaly and everything will be perfect, the end. It just doesn't work like that. It's an impractical notion that simply never works when put into practice. There are millions of people that you could truly end up being in love with. It takes effort and constant work to initiate and sustain that kind of relationship. I know some will disagree with me, but that's just how I personally feel about it.

I completely agree with you. That is logical and well thought out!

JamesSmith

One thing I can tell you is that there are people that never find their soulmate. There are people that never find love throughout their entire life. I am probably going to be one of these people.

Newtype

I don't think there is one soul mate for you but I believe it's possible to find people that you can fully connect with. Pure love in other words.

A friend

Do you believe in the concept of soulmates?
And what does this word mean to you?

I did believe in that concept once. But after seeing all the negativity directly attached to love, I see that it's just one big lie that some intoxicated idiot made up centuries before our grandparents were born.

::(:

One thing I can tell you is that there are people that never find their soulmate. There are people that never find love throughout their entire life. I am probably going to be one of these people.

You're not alone, but let me tell you this:

You are missing out on NOTHING. I like the idea of being single and happy, free from being yelled at and cheated on. How about you?

megalon

I did believe in that concept once. But after seeing all the negativity directly attached to love, I see that it's just one big lie that some intoxicated idiot made up centuries before our grandparents were born.

::(:

You're not alone, but let me tell you this:

You are missing out on NOTHING. I like the idea of being single and happy, free from being yelled at and cheated on. How about you?

A few things - It seems you were jaded by something in the past. You make these claims even though you have little to no experience in the matter. I think your eagerness to spread this anti-love message is because you are trying to convince yourself that you aren't missing anything. You may be able to ignore it but the need is still there and you are in denial. Just my humble opinion.

A friend

A few things - It seems you were jaded by something in the past. You make these claims even though you have little to no experience in the matter. I think your eagerness to spread this anti-love message is because you are trying to convince yourself that you aren't missing anything. You may be able to ignore it but the need is still there and you are in denial. Just my humble opinion.

Actually, I'm trying to show people that they shouldn't be sad about being single. I'm trying to help them have better lives...although that doesn't seem to be working right now.

EnigmatiConduit

Actually, I'm trying to show people that they shouldn't be sad about being single. I'm trying to help them have better lives...although that doesn't seem to be working right now.

If people want a relationship and what all the godness that can and does come from alot of relationships, then they should keep working toward finding it, trying not to get down about it along the way - not discredit love and relationships in general and talk themselves out of it.

A friend

If people want a relationship and what all the godness that can and does come from alot of relationships, then they should keep working toward finding it, trying not to get down about it along the way - not discredit love and relationships in general and talk themselves out of it.

Not to sound stupid or ignorant, but what good can come out of that sort of relationship?

panicsurvivor

This is impossible. It's a very nice thought, but lets really think about the idea of soulmates. Just one person for you in the bigm wide world? It's statistically improbable that the vast majority of people would ever meet their 'soulmate'. I also feel this cheapens a lot of people's appreciation for a relationship. If it doesn't 'work out', then it's onto the next person. The way that it is portrayed is that you'll meet this statistical anomaly and everything will be perfect, the end. It just doesn't work like that. It's an impractical notion that simply never works when put into practice. There are millions of people that you could truly end up being in love with. It takes effort and constant work to initiate and sustain that kind of relationship. I know some will disagree with me, but that's just how I personally feel about it.

I totally agree. Soulmate's is a nice thought in books and movies, but has no real bearing in real life. There is not one person for everyone. There are Trillions of combinations (Probably more than that, but you get the idea) of people. Some are better than others. Some are great, and they think that they have found their soulmate. But those same people, if split up, will be able to be compatible with someone else. Aristocrat is right about the fact that to sustain a relationship it takes work. Not at first. At first it is all romantic, and it seems like a movie. THAT ALWAYS ENDS. Then you must build something together, that is more real. That is hard. I have seen some people, who seemed to be a perfect couple (they made everybody else sick by the way), who seemed like soulmates but they eventually fell down to earth with the rest of us, and broke up. Like I said, trillions of combinations, some better than others.

Steppen-Wolf

I think there are people in the world with whom you just fit in, nothing forced, just as natural as the water flow of a river, people that are everything you wish and need.

Depending on the person there maybe hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands that fit that criteria. Beyond that is pure random chance whether or not you will meet one of those persons.

Srijita52

No,I don't believe in soulmates.But I'm not sure about its defination though.Is it the one person who is supposed to be perfect for you or one with whom you stay in happy and healthy relationship for a long time?In that case I think it might be possible,but still it needs a lot of effort & work.

Aussie_Lad

Coming from a spiritual viewpoint, you actually have a soul group.

I won't go into too many details about soul groups here, but just to say that they are souls that are very similar to you who can meetup in the physical or spiritual realms. They will always know how to find each other and will usually hit it off by lifetime friendship / relationship when they do. Your parents / siblings / other relatives may also be part of your soul group and may be around you for many lifetimes. If you struggle with your relationships as many do on this forum, then it is possible that the rest of your soul group is currently non-physical only.

A friend

But those same people, if split up, will be able to be compatible with someone else. Aristocrat is right about the fact that to sustain a relationship it takes work.

Why get a job that requires an intense amount of work, and gives no benefits of any kind or pay at all?

EDIT:
A few things - It seems you were jaded by something in the past. You make these claims even though you have little to no experience in the matter.

You don't need to experience something to know if it's good or bad. If you observe what happens to someone, and watch them suffer, then that's proof that it's a very unhappy thing.

I think your eagerness to spread this anti-love message is because you are trying to convince yourself that you aren't missing anything.

It's not really a message, I'm just trying to help make life better for people and show them that "love" isn't a good thing.

You may be able to ignore it but the need is still there and you are in denial. Just my humble opinion.

Um, how and why would I have the need for something like this? That...just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why would someone "need" to have something like that?

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

I agree with this completely. Very well put, Aristocrat.

Vampayah88

Maybe there actually is that person,soulmate, for each of us out there in the world that is perfect for us in every sense of the word. That doesnt mean soulmates ever find eachother, but they might be out there.

Rembrandt Broam

Maybe there actually is that person,soulmate, for each of us out there in the world that is perfect for us in every sense of the word. That doesnt mean soulmates ever find eachother, but they might be out there.

This is a very good point. If you measured the level of perfect-ness of every person relative to yourself, then it must be possible to rank them in terms of how perfect they are for you. Since there are a finite number of people in existence, someone probably has the highest ranking, even if it's only by a tiny amount. I suppose they would be your "soulmate". I don't rate your chance of just happening to bump into them though. ;)

jazy

Same here. Some people are meant to be alone.