So Awkward, It's Funny. Share Your Stories.

theoutsider

I don't know how well this topic will go on here as I realize there are many who aren't able to laugh at their illness (for good reasons). I am of the mind that sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. I'm always either witnessing or usually being a part of awkward situations. Today I just had to laugh at something that happened.

I was in my managers office giving him some information from a report I had run. We were talking and for one of the few times I wasn't feeling tense while in his office. Behind him, he has one of those electronic picture frames where the pictures change every few seconds. As we were talking I was glancing at his album which he couldn't see and thinking to myself, "Wow, he takes some nice scenery pictures". He probably forgot the frame was back there and after a few minutes turned to see what I was glancing at behind him. A split second before he turned, the picture of a lighthouse he had taken switched to a picture of his wife on the beach in a swimsuit. He glances at the picture then we both resume our conversation as if nothing happened. I don't know about him but I felt extremely awkward thinking, "Oh great, now he thinks I was checking out his wife!" I got out of there as soon as I could. After a few agonizing minutes back at my desk, I just had to laugh at myself. It was totally something that would happen on a sitcom. I just hope the guy realizes his pictures scroll and I wasn't looking at a picture of his wife the entire time I was in his office.

Anybody able enough to laugh at themselves to share funny stories about situations (awkward or no) that you've found yourself in?

williamreinsch

First off what a great idea for a thread! I hope this catches on!
Your story had me in stitches! I can imagine that happening to me xD I really feel for you bro, must of been so awkward talking to your boss after that :(

I remember once at a festival I had a girl come up to me dancing and asked for a spare roll up. I rolled and passed her one and we danced together for a bit. I was really drunk and out of my head so i mean i just about had the courage to do so. I was kind of surprised this girl was dancing with me and i was like damn this is actually happening wow! and then i realized i'd rolled myself a cigarette too and was just holding it in my mouth (I had no lighter), then i started having a panic attack because i thought "oh god ive had this cigarette in my mouth this whole time and its not lit, she must think im a right idiot" and then i just decided to ask for a lighter midway having this anxiety attack. I felt a lump in my throat as i asked "could i borrow your LIGHTER" (my voice broke at the word "lighter") and i went completely red had a complete meltdown inside. Lit my cigarette, passed the lighter back and she looked at me still like "wtf just happened" and she walked off..

Whenever girls are involved it always seems to go wrong with me lol! godammit!

Kiwong

I was once at the Cardiologists getting hooked up for a blood pressure monitor. My blood pressure reading was 160/100. The lady fixing up the monitor was really nice

Over the next 24 hours away from the surgery, my blood pressure was 130/80.

I went back to the cardiologist and my reading went up to 170/100, after the lady assistant removed the monitor.

The male assistant remarked. It must be her spikey hair."

WeirdyMcGee

This is years ago--

I had a job in Toronto, so someone dropped me off at Finch station to take the subway downtown. It was early in the morning, so there was a steady increase of people headed to work/school and I only realized that I didn't have a token once I was already down there at the turnstyles, so I stepped aside and started digging change out of my wallet and AS I'M DOING THIS, about 20 people pass me through an open gate *right infront of where I'm standing* and just bypass the turnstyles because there was no one around to stop them and make them pay the fare... so I thought; 'I'll just do that!' but the moment I had that little positive voice in my head, I also had several paranoid ones thinking; 'what if I get in trouble? Would they arrest me for skipping the fare?! The second I step through; with my luck, security is going to come back from their break and catch me...'

So, I just went back to digging for the exact amount of change in my wallet and deposited it then walked through a turnstyle as a SEA of people suddenly formed around me, headed for the staircase down to the train platform.

By this time, I was freaking out because there were people on every side of me; brushing shoulders with me and I just wanted to keep up and hurry onto the train and put my headphones on and try not to think about hoe many people there were... and that scene from Final Destination where everyone on the subway dies. (oh, sorry. spoiler.) XD

I was thinking so much about how freaked out I was that I didn't realize the first step was coming and stepped over it in midair like a cartoon character going off a cliff.
I felt like I was floating for a brief moment... before rolling through the crowd, down the stairs.
Everyone parted like the red sea and watched me go down... then I shot back up to my feet and ran to the end of the platform to hide behind a part of the crowd who *hadn't* just witnessed me rolling down the stairs like a very clumsy acrobat.

When I had finally made it to work, there was an older man there who had been IN Finch station and witnessed me fall; I'm guessing...
He looked at me with a crooked little grin and said; "... so... stairs?"

I don't even.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Ah desperately want tae contribute tae this thread, but feel ma stories are too long-winded... And not particularly funny.

Luckylife

I have a friend on Facebook that I also see socially. Here's the thing - if I make any comment or 'like' on a post of hers she will block me for a week or two. When we meet she is very friendly but this is obviously some sort of game or social statement of hers in that I am not part of her life in any way. I can be quite physical with her, I can put my arms around her and give her a kiss but it will not develop further, she will smile and say uh uh.
So last week she had been out with friends on an adventure outing and she fell off a log and cracked her nose. She called in at the Bar and I spoke to her about this, then we were dancing and I got to thinking if that's what happens with her great mates then I've got a better idea that doesn't involve a broken nose. So I put my arms around her waist and pulled her close to me and stared into her eyes. Yep, only one thing left to do, right?
The summary being that the next time she's in town she can stop over at my place and we can have nice, safe sex. Considering that she will not admit any kind of connection to me nor share such an event, yet still being clearly tempted by the suggestion, her subsequent FB posts have been so awkward they're funny.

theoutsider

First off what a great idea for a thread! I hope this catches on!
Your story had me in stitches! I can imagine that happening to me xD I really feel for you bro, must of been so awkward talking to your boss after that :(

I remember once at a festival I had a girl come up to me dancing and asked for a spare roll up. I rolled and passed her one and we danced together for a bit. I was really drunk and out of my head so i mean i just about had the courage to do so. I was kind of surprised this girl was dancing with me and i was like damn this is actually happening wow! and then i realized i'd rolled myself a cigarette too and was just holding it in my mouth (I had no lighter), then i started having a panic attack because i thought "oh god ive had this cigarette in my mouth this whole time and its not lit, she must think im a right idiot" and then i just decided to ask for a lighter midway having this anxiety attack. I felt a lump in my throat as i asked "could i borrow your LIGHTER" (my voice broke at the word "lighter") and i went completely red had a complete meltdown inside. Lit my cigarette, passed the lighter back and she looked at me still like "wtf just happened" and she walked off..

Whenever girls are involved it always seems to go wrong with me lol! godammit!

LOL! I used to always be oversconscious where girls were concerned until I was in my mid 20's. I can't remember any specifics right now but I can remembers always being like this ---> :kickingmyself: <--- most of the time after having an exchange with one that I was interested in. Just couldn't get it right to save my life even when they seemed interested.

theoutsider

This is years ago--

I had a job in Toronto, so someone dropped me off at Finch station to take the subway downtown. It was early in the morning, so there was a steady increase of people headed to work/school and I only realized that I didn't have a token once I was already down there at the turnstyles, so I stepped aside and started digging change out of my wallet and AS I'M DOING THIS, about 20 people pass me through an open gate *right infront of where I'm standing* and just bypass the turnstyles because there was no one around to stop them and make them pay the fare... so I thought; 'I'll just do that!' but the moment I had that little positive voice in my head, I also had several paranoid ones thinking; 'what if I get in trouble? Would they arrest me for skipping the fare?! The second I step through; with my luck, security is going to come back from their break and catch me...'

So, I just went back to digging for the exact amount of change in my wallet and deposited it then walked through a turnstyle as a SEA of people suddenly formed around me, headed for the staircase down to the train platform.

By this time, I was freaking out because there were people on every side of me; brushing shoulders with me and I just wanted to keep up and hurry onto the train and put my headphones on and try not to think about hoe many people there were... and that scene from Final Destination where everyone on the subway dies. (oh, sorry. spoiler.) XD

I was thinking so much about how freaked out I was that I didn't realize the first step was coming and stepped over it in midair like a cartoon character going off a cliff.
I felt like I was floating for a brief moment... before rolling through the crowd, down the stairs.
Everyone parted like the red sea and watched me go down... then I shot back up to my feet and ran to the end of the platform to hide behind a part of the crowd who *hadn't* just witnessed me rolling down the stairs like a very clumsy acrobat.

When I had finally made it to work, there was an older man there who had been IN Finch station and witnessed me fall; I'm guessing...
He looked at me with a crooked little grin and said; "... so... stairs?"

I don't even.

Now, this literally made me LOL. Thanks for sharing that. I also hate falling in front of crowds. I will get up quickly and walk away as fast as I can. Whether or not I've hurt myself in the fall is always secondary. I remember a particularly bad fall on some ice. Oh, the memories!

worrywort

Just thought of something that's kinda funny. Everybody at my work calls me Robert even though my name's Bobby, and I've been working there over 5 years now! Technically my real name is Robert but nobody has ever called me that my entire life. It started when I first got the job and my supervisor called me Robert, and I corrected her and said to just call me Bobby, and for about a week she did. But then for some reason she went back to Robert again, and I was new and felt kinda rude to correct my supervisor a second time, so I figured she'd realise it eventually. But the weeks went on and she never did, and the longer it went on the weirder it was to bring it up. Now, 5 years later and the entire workplace all call me Robert! What's weird though is that I still always refer to myself as Bobby. Whenever I write in the signing in book, or write my name out for anything, for christmas cards and stuff, so everyone knows I call myself Bobby, and yet for some reason they all call me Robert?! You gotta laugh I suppose :eek:mg: ::p:

SCP-087-1

Just thought of something that's kinda funny. Everybody at my work calls me Robert even though my name's Bobby, and I've been working there over 5 years now! Technically my real name is Robert but nobody has ever called me that my entire life. It started when I first got the job and my supervisor called me Robert, and I corrected her and said to just call me Bobby, and for about a week she did. But then for some reason she went back to Robert again, and I was new and felt kinda rude to correct my supervisor a second time, so I figured she'd realise it eventually. But the weeks went on and she never did, and the longer it went on the weirder it was to bring it up. Now, 5 years later and the entire workplace all call me Robert! What's weird though is that I still always refer to myself as Bobby. Whenever I write in the signing in book, or write my name out for anything, for christmas cards and stuff, so everyone knows I call myself Bobby, and yet for some reason they all call me Robert?! You gotta laugh I suppose :eek:mg: ::p:

People at work call me Simon. Simon isn't my name

Last edited:

SCP-087-1

A co worker was half drunk and started randomly calling me Simon. I didn't say anything about it and it caught on

Last edited:

NamiraWilhelm

I too love my awkwardness! Most of the time, when it leads to hilarity. I'll have to think on some examples. I want my anxiety gone, but I think I'd be disappointed if my awkwardness disappeared completely.

One that springs to mind is that myself and greggy from here met up in real life last week, and after he told me of his tattoo I innocently asked him 'Are you going to whip it out and show me?'

Awkward.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I too love my awkwardness! Most of the time, when it leads to hilarity. I'll have to think on some examples. I want my anxiety gone, but I think I'd be disappointed if my awkwardness disappeared completely.

One that springs to mind is that myself and greggy from here met up in real life last week, and after he told me of his tattoo I innocently asked him 'Are you going to whip it out and show me?'

Awkward.

coffeescreen.gif
nocomment.gif
funniest.gif

NamiraWilhelm

Oh and when myself and Greggy parted ways; I went for a hug, but he went for the cheek kiss, so I effectively just shouldered him in the face. I said 'That was awkward' and we parted ways xD

dannyboy65

Last summer I was working at Subway. I was working the meats section and had to greet customers. So this guy walked up and I greet him, he quickly pointed at his ears and couldn't talk. So without thinking I yelled over my shoulder "we got a deaf guy". After I yelled I instantly recognized what I said. I felt so stupid xD.

LazyHermitCrab

When doing an interview I got there 20 mins early and just waited in the corner of a hallway. Everytime someone passed I half smiled to appear friendly but instead they looked weird-ed out. I went in and the person interviewing was like "you know you could have waited in here instead of the corner out there." I'm just like ohh... :( x.x

theoutsider

When doing an interview I got there 20 mins early and just waited in the corner of a hallway. Everytime someone passed I half smiled to appear friendly but instead they looked weird-ed out. I went in and the person interviewing was like "you know you could have waited in here instead of the corner out there." I'm just like ohh... :( x.x

Ouch! Dare I ask, how did the interview go?

theoutsider

A few weekends ago, I decided I would go into work and catch up on some work. There are very few cars in the parking garage on the weekend and I guess I was a little preoccupied as I drove in. I was zooming around one of the corners and went a little over the center line. Who should come around the corner in the opposite direction? My boss in his new BMW. That's right, the same exact boss who's in my first post! Now, what are the freaking odds?? He never works on the weekends and WHY did he have to be leaving at the same time I was arriving??? Well, I didn't run into him but I had to turn the steering wheel to the right really fast to keep from doing it. At least he was cool about it and stopped for a second to ask if I was going to an event the company was having the following Monday.

Last edited:
At my workplace we basically had unisex bathrooms. There was a picture of Einstein on one door and Marilyn Monroe on the other, but the bathrooms were the same and people got confused so often women would use the men's room and vice versa. The locks on the doors switched to "occupied" and occasionally someone wouldn't lock the door, and I always worried I'd walk in on someone. You know where this is going.

I did walk in on someone. A man was fortunately seated and I didn't see anything I shouldn't have, but man was that awkward. Lock the effing door, man! It was too loud in that place for knocking to be useful.

I walked in on a woman once too, but she was just washing her child's hands. Phew. Still awkward though.