rate the last film you watched

Nanita

The Good Night
7/10

About a guy who has a boring life and a relationship gone sour and mundane. Then he starts having pleasant dreams about a dream woman. He experiments with lucid dreaming to try to control what happens within these dreams. One day he finds out that this exact dream woman is an actual human being, a model. He actually meets her irl, but finds out that her real personality doesn´t match with his expectations.
And then there is a nice and wise ending.
Really nice movie. And also really funny, mostly because of Simon Pegg ...

30 Days Of Night. 8/10

More or less a town in Alaska is dark for a whole month and a bunch of vampires come in on a ship and eat everybody. Then the hero martyrs himself at the end. Pretty good flick. :thumbup:

^ Wait, what movie are you talking about?

Red 2 7/10

Not as good as the first, but still good semi-mindless fun. Plus... you know... Helen Mirren and guns. :inlove:

Last edited:

Alana.JPEG

The King of Comedy-

Rating it a 10/10, based on my own personal enjoyment. It is a Martin Scorsese movie from the early 80's and it is meant to be a like a black comedy and stars Robert de Niro.
Storyline from IMDb :

"Rupert Pupkin is obsessed with becoming a comedy great. However, when he confronts his idol, talk show host Jerry Langford, with a plea to perform on the Jerry's show, he is only given the run-around. He does not give up, however, but persists in stalking Jerry until he gets what he wants. Eventually he must team up with his psychotic Langford-obsessed friend Masha to kidnap the talk show host in hopes of finally getting to perform his stand-up routine."

Kiwong

The Staircase. A movie about a murder trial based on flawed testominy. Wasn't 100% convinced the defendant was innocent, but he certainly deserved a fair trial.

The World's End 7.9/10

Pretty damn good, but all the movies Simon Pegg and Nick Frost make together are going to be compared to Shaun of the Dead, and they will all lose.

Phoenixx

Elysium - 8/10

I figured I was going to really like this, since I absolutely love Matt Damon films and Jodie Foster was a nice plus. I definitely was not disappointed. :thumbup: It's no major award winning movie, but the visuals were absolutely fantastic. Its main bad guy, Kruger, was one hell of a creepy psychotic mess of a character. (He honestly reminded me of a boss straight out of Borderlands -- that kind of psycho) It's been a long time since I've seen a movie where the main villain/bad guy actually creeped me out, but Sharlto Copley (I have never heard of or seen this actor, but he's on my watch list!) did a superb job. Jodie played one ruthless Secretary of Defense, and I loved her performance, but her character didn't even come close to Copley's. Matt Damon's character was good as always, and I liked the different ending his character received. Sometimes Hollywood gets too caught up in the "they all lived happily ever after" ending to movies/main character's storylines. No, it's not always a bad thing, but it's so overdone. I like to see something different, even if it is shocking or depressing. (That is not a spoiler, the ending really wasn't shocking or depressing. I'm just generally describing my expectations here.) Despite the likable characters and beautiful special effects and design, the only thing I kind of had a problem with were the plot holes. The storyline, while fairly unique, wasn't as strong as it could have been. Had they put more foundation to the story -- how it all happened, why, what made the gap between poverty and rich so vast, etc. -- this movie probably would've been phenomenal.

Reading some of the reviews on this film, it seems very hit or miss. You either love it or you don't. It seems like a lot of those who don't love it are District 9 and/or die-hard sci-fi movie fans. From what I understand this movie was produced by the same people who made District 9 -- which I've never seen. Maybe if I watched District 9 and then rewatched this, I'll have a different view...? Who knows. Overall, I really liked this film, even if it wasn't perfect.

Phoenixx

I really want to go see Elysium today but I'm not sure about going alone, there's no one who will go with me anyway.
^ If it makes you feel any better about going, last night there was a guy who came in the theatre and sat in the other row across from my friend and I, towards the back. He was alone and had candy and popcorn and a drink in his hands and he honestly looked like he was treating himself to a good night. So I say go ahead and treat yourself. :thumbup:

Odo

Banned
I saw Star Trek Into Darkness.

I sort of enjoyed the first one in a 'wow they're doing something new here' sort of way, but this one realllly didn't do it for me... I think because it was more of the same, but not as good... and seriously *SPOILERS* it's pretty obvious they're not going to kill Kirk, so his 'death' meant absolutely nothing and the whole scene played like the writers trying to get yet another nod to Wrath of Khan in there... I like the little quotes and in jokes, but ripping off the entire climax???? I also thought that Pike's death wasn't exploited enough for dramatic effect-- Kirk didn't lose control or do anything different because it happened, so what's the point???? The whole thing about him not being ready for the chair and the idea that he doesn't have a 'father' anymore just sort of disappeared in the middle of the movie. I also thought that they could have awoken the other supermen for the climax and it would have been more exciting... and why is Khan somehow a white guy now??? That made no sense to me at all... part of me thought-- okay, this isn't even the real Khan and they're going to have to wake up one of the other supermen and it's going to be Benicio Del Toro as the real Khan and he's going to have more of a personality and this movie is going to get good... but it didn't happen

The special effects were good and there were things in it that I liked, but overall I was pretty disappointed.

5.5/10

Last edited:
Iron Man 3 - 7.5

[spoilers] I think it was a great movie. It had a few of the best scenes in the Iron Man trilogy. The attack on the house is something I can watch over and over again, and the final face off is also very, very cool. ''Drones.. better.''

And corny as it may have been Jarvis' ''Gentlemen..'' had smiling like an idiot. In matter of fact, Jarvis was a pretty funny character more in this movie than in any of the others.

But one thing boggles my mind, though. Why on Earth did they set up an awesome villain like The Mandarin, just to switch him with a less interesting villain? Good an actor as Guy Pearce is, Eldrich wasn't that great a bad guy. Don't get me wrong, I love Trevor as a character. He's hilarious and would have loved to seen more of him. But not as one in the same as The Mandarin. He just seemed more substantial and exciting as a crazy terrorist. This makes feel a little bit cheated by the trailers. It promised a powerful charismatic terrorist at odds with Tony, and what we got is a lame business guy pulling strings. A bit disappointing.

Neither did I care for the because-science glowy fire soldiers. I've always respected the Iron Man movies for staying as grounded as the Marvel Universe allows them. In Iron Man one and two super powers are completely absent. It's all down to machinery. This is why I was a little disappointed that that kind of soberness was mostly absent from this movie. I had hoped that super powers and Iron Man would only mix in Avengers instalments.. [/spoilers]

But all in all, it's definitely a movie I'll see plenty of until the next Avengers movie comes out.

Last edited: