rate the last film you watched

Flanscho

The Misfortunates. 7/10
It's a comedy drama. We watched it today as the second film of our weekly film evening. To quote Wikipedia: "Writer Gunther Strobbe made his ladyfriend pregnant and looks back at this youth. He lived together with his father, grandmother and uncles in a house in the fictitious town of Reetveerdegem. Much of his youth was about drinking, cigarettes, women, and truancy. Heavier themes include addiction, criminality, and death."

The movie was sometimes absurd, sometimes funny, often melancholic and depressing.

The Misfortunates Trailer English subs - YouTube

Phoenixx

District 9 - 7/10

After watching Elysium the other night, I was intrigued to see this, as I've heard nothing but great things about it and I wanted to see if my opinion of Elysium would change after seeing this. To be honest, it hasn't much. Elysium is still pretty great. I'm actually really disappointed I wasn't wowed or had my mind blown with District 9.

First off, I want to say that in no way was this a bad film -- obviously by my rating. It is pretty good, especially as a feature film debut by new director Neill Blomkamp. I enjoyed the documentary type of perspective/narration it took, as it was something different for once, that you don't often get in sci-fi films or other movies for that matter. The effects and designs were still pretty impressive, especially after realizing the total cost for the film was only $30mil! Many movies these days still can't seem to be that good with even quadruple that budget. Goes to show you that big budgets aren't always required to make good movies.

What I didn't like about this film though was the storyline and the shoddy development of the main character. (Pretty much the only character, since the film focuses primarily on him.) There were still quite a few plotholes, but now it's gotten me thinking that rather blaming Blomkamp for focusing more on effects and direction of the story as a whole, maybe this is just his style of writing. In both Elysium and District 9, he seemed to lay down the foundation and structure for both stories, and would start to build them, but only to never finish the job. It's all very open-ended, and I can't say it's something I totally enjoy. While I don't always have a problem with cliffhangers or loose ties and having to use my imagination, Blomkamp seems to leave too much to the imagination. I kinda feel bad for calling it "shoddy development" for a character, but I really don't know how else to describe it. I felt like the main character seemed to jump rather than develop gradually. In the beginning of the movie, I thought he was kind of a douche to the alien refugees, and then before I know it, he's joining with one and becoming his ally. In no way is this directed towards Sharlto Copley, because he did a great job with his character. It's just that I prefer complex storylines and details and well-rounded, deep characters with some sort of story or foundation. I know this wasn't exactly a movie to showcase a character's backstory so much as it was taking the "now" and showing how that character goes about from what happens, but still I think a better job could have been done developing that character to what he eventually became.

Overall, I feel like this film was way overrated, but it was still good and certainly worth a watch. It shows what both Neill Blomkamp and Sharlto Copley have to offer on screen and they both have very long careers ahead of them, which I'm looking forward to. I may not be a fan of his writing, but Blomkamp has talent as a director.

I didn't mean to write a review, haha. These films have just gotten me thinking is all. It's good to find new actors and directors to take interest in. :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Security not Included - 8/10

I liked it. It's your run-of-the-mill weird offbeat indie movie, pretty much exactly what you expect going in. If you're looking for that, go here!

I literally just finished watching The Runaways and I'd give it an 8/10, pretty good!

It is! I think it's the best role Kristen Stewart has played, as far as I have seen. Much better than Snow white I think, she should not have been cast there!

But one thing boggles my mind, though. Why on Earth did they set up an awesome villain like The Mandarin, just to switch him with a less interesting villain? Good an actor as Guy Pearce is, Eldrich wasn't that great a bad guy. Don't get me wrong, I love Trevor as a character. He's hilarious and would have loved to seen more of him. But not as one in the same as The Mandarin. He just seemed more substantial and exciting as a crazy terrorist. This makes feel a little bit cheated by the trailers. It promised a powerful charismatic terrorist at odds with Tony, and what we got is a lame business guy pulling strings. A bit disappointing.

More spoilers

Yes! that is exactly what I was thinking when it was revealed. It felt like a forced twist in the story that didn't belong. I knew they were making Aldrich a bad guy pretty early on, but I'd have rathered them been forward about it and not made the manderain ( a sincere villain in the comics) a cover for it. I don't know really, just the way the way they went about it didn't work at all for me. It was pretty good otherwise though :thumbup:

More spoilers

Yes! that is exactly what I was thinking when it was revealed. It felt like a forced twist in the story that didn't belong. I knew they were making Aldrich a bad guy pretty early on, but I'd have rathered them been forward about it and not made the manderain ( a sincere villain in the comics) a cover for it. I don't know really, just the way the way they went about it didn't work at all for me. It was pretty good otherwise though :thumbup:

[spoilers]Aldrich worked pretty well as the character he started out as; a sleazy cooporate guy that sets a story in motion.

And I understand why they couldn't stay entirely true to The Mandarin character he was presented in the comics/animated movies. It just wouldn't work in the live action cinematic version of Iron Man. But he worked great as a common man with a cunning scheme. If he is to Tony what the Joker was to Batman, then why not utilize a similar route?

If The Dark Knight proved anything it's that a villain with great charisma, yet without any real powers, can steal the show and improve the movie significantly. I feel they were like 80% there with this new version of The Mandarin until they went with the very 90s-esc ''it's all for money and power'' plot.[/spoilers]

A huge missed opportunity if you ask me.

Last edited:

Zackarydoo

Oblivion - 8.5/10

I watched it last night on blu-ray, very loud with surround sound and loads of base from my sub! It was really amazing, with incredible effects. I just got confused about half way through, but it kinda started to fit together nearer the end.

GhastlyCC

V/H/S
It wasn't the greatest movie of all time,but I dug it.
I really like anthology type horror films for some reason.
Was a fun movie over all.
7/10

ffeev223234

Norbit - 8.7/10

Witty and a remainder of the struggles people within these situations go through to survive. Highly recommend anyone to watch this film as you get a better understanding of society in general.

Flanscho

Sons of Norway 8.5/10
It's about a boy in Norway in the 70s who wants to be a punk, and about his father that is a hippy and whatnot. The movie is awesome. It's funny, at times very sad, gripping. Loved it.

In case the USA does with this movie as they do with about every great foreign movie: butcher it brutally by remaking it with american actors, watch the original version. As always. The original version is always better.

Trailer - Sons Of Norway Eng sub - YouTube

MollyBeGood

^Oh I saw that one a few days ago. It was really good! The director did "Girl Interrupted" and a few others I like. It was very gripping and really a wake-up call for anyone who does anything online.

Odo

Banned
Only God Forgives

I'm pretty sure I enjoyed this, even though it was super violent and nasty and there really wasn't much to the story other than the typical 'revenge' storyline. I think what impressed me the most was the performances-- the police captain was a great character and even though a lot was unsaid you could tell that he hadn't just turned into a monster overnight-- the same with Gosling's character-- whose character was deeply spiritually tormented. I think it really brought out the character of Bangkok as well... an exploited city full of vice and beauty that is also drowning in sin. The whole red/blue/devil/angel thing was there... it's a basic motif but in this case it was done well, I think. There were no real surprises but I think it did a good job of portraying two characters who, while also not original, were at least well-acted... and I suppose it helped that he didn't actually reveal what was going on in the fighter's head until the very end... so there was an arc and a choice involved, which made it seem like more than just a stream of awesome images. And the pacing was just right, I think.

7.7/10

I also saw Valhalla Rising, another Refn film (he also made Drive) and I found it to be lacking a real storyline/point and basically just aping Herzog. I don't think that storyline is Refn's strong point but OGF seemed to at least have characters with substance, this one was a bunch of superstitious interchangeable Scots with a mute Mad Max/Conan type and his telepathic sidekick. As usual, there were some extremely striking images but in this case none of it really amounted to anything in particular... yeah, I get it, they're primitives and this is a violent man from a much older age... but you can't just throw some characters together and have it mean something. And the fact that Herzog did it first (and better) just made it irrelevant.

4/10, because it still looked good.