Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
^Stop after 2 days of research when they have the position of the wreck? Sounds sloppy to me as well... but who knows their reasons :idontknow:

^Stop after 2 days of research when they have the position of the wreck? Sounds sloppy to me as well... but who knows their reasons :idontknow:

The Coastguard said they modelled the likelihood of survival based on temperature etc etc and that 20 hours was the max and that they had searched for over 50 hours. Their main reason to not keep on searching would be the $$$ sadly, people survive longer that expected often with emergencies, so it would be worth the chance of saving a life

I've been thinking about death an awful lot lately, and it's making me extremely uncomfortable. I'm not of religious persuasion, and therefore don't believe in an afterlife in a direct sense.

But sometimes I really wish I did, because whenever I think about ceasing to exists in an odd seventy years or so, I get this stomach turning feeling that almost makes me throw up. I used to think about it maybe once or twice a year, but in the last month I've been thinking about it at least three times a week.

It would be so much easier if I could believe in an afterlife. At least then, whatever there actually turns out to be after, the transition would be less agonizing. I'm sometimes afraid to go to sleep due to the one in a billion chance that I might not wake up the next morning. It's extremely depressing..

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
The Coastguard said they modelled the likelihood of survival based on temperature etc etc and that 20 hours was the max and that they had searched for over 50 hours. Their main reason to not keep on searching would be the $$$ sadly, people survive longer that expected often with emergencies, so it would be worth the chance of saving a life

It's true that they would all be dead by now if they were all floating in water in their survival suit, but I wonder why they stopped the research knowing that they probably got a chance to get in the life raft.... Or tried to recover the wreck to see if they were still in it... !? Anyway. Maybe they have data that we don't.

It would be so much easier if I could believe in an afterlife. At least then, whatever there actually turns out to be after, the transition would be less agonizing. I'm sometimes afraid to go to sleep due to the one in a billion chance that I might not wake up the next morning. It's extremely depressing..

I agree it would be easier to believe in something. From my point of view there is nothing after death, you just disappear, and it used to make me very depressed, nihilistic, and inactive (since it's all pointless). Fortunalely it slowly evolved and morphed into some kind of hedonism. It's short and pointless and I intend to make it interesting.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about death an awful lot lately, and it's making me extremely uncomfortable. I'm not of religious persuasion, and therefore don't believe in an afterlife in a direct sense.

But sometimes I really wish I did, because whenever I think about ceasing to exists in an odd seventy years or so, I get this stomach turning feeling that almost makes me throw up. I used to think about it maybe once or twice a year, but in the last month I've been thinking about it at least three times a week.

I know the feeling and I can remember the horror of realising that its possible that we simply cease to exist when we die. I'm still uncomfortable about the idea of death, but I've formed a alternative belief of what may happen when we die that sits with me better than that or the heaven & hell lie I was fed as a child. I believe that all life on earth is connected - it all evolved from a single instance formed in a slimy, warm pond a long time ago and remains as a single life entity that flowers as all the differing lifeforms we see today and have existed in the past - when we are born, our life energy comes from this colony of life-iness, and when we die it returns to it, maybe taking all our memories and learnings with it.

MollyBeGood

I know the feeling and I can remember the horror of realising that its possible that we simply cease to exist when we die. I'm still uncomfortable about the idea of death, but I've formed a alternative belief of what may happen when we die that sits with me better than that or the heaven & hell lie I was fed as a child. I believe that all life on earth is connected - it all evolved from a single instance formed in a slimy, warm pond a long time ago and remains as a single life entity that flowers as all the differing lifeforms we see today and have existed in the past - when we are born, our life energy comes from this colony of life-iness, and when we die it returns to it, maybe taking all our memories and learnings with it.

That's really beautiful. I feel pretty much the same, we are all just energy and we will return back into the energy we came from.

Lavinialuna

I have had way too many spiritual experiences to not believe in an afterlife. I wish you knew me better so you could trust me enough to piggy back on my faith.. but let me tell you this.. You have, like you said, 70 odd years ahead of you. You will change and experience so much in that time. You will grow and evolve and your beliefs will change. I don't in what direction you will decide to go (you could find God, or not) but just keep your heart open and realize that you don't have to figure it all out right now. If you really want God in your life just say out loud "God, if you are there, help me believe." That is asking for faith. Ask to be shown the truth. I did that and it took 4 years but I found it. It happened.
It's natural to fear death, it's what keeps us from risky behavior, try to tell yourself that. It's an instinct, just an instinct. Everything will be okay.
I have found that even if I didn't have faith, I wouldn't want to live forever. I am only 42 and am already haunted by things I have seen and memories of people I have lost... I think living with this trauma forever would be cruel. My mom always said "by the time you are old enough to die, you will be ready" and I believe her. I think she is right.
I am always willing to engage in conversations if you are in need of someone to talk to. xoxo Hope you feel better.

Lavinialuna

John-Lennon-Picture-Quote-.png

I agree it would be easier to believe in something. From my point of view there is nothing after death, you just disappear, and it used to make me very depressed, nihilistic, and inactive (since it's all pointless). Fortunalely it slowly evolved and morphed into some kind of hedonism. It's short and pointless and I intend to make it interesting.

I share your philosophy to a great extent.

Generally I try to fill life with as many nice things as I can, worrying as little as possible. Rejecting joy diminishing society habits where I can. But that seems to become more difficult the more demanding life gets, and I'm forced into the habits of a society that I don't understand. I suppose it doesn't help that most things I enjoy are being greatly inhibited by life's necessities.

I hope in time I'll be able to separate those two aspects of life better - and enjoy them separately, like you do.

Thank you for sharing your views on the subject.

One of few things that I take comfort in is that certain things that I consider illogical, are immediately contradicted by the way things are.

The concept in question being that existence shouldn't be, because logically there should be nothing, yet there is. Without a star. It simply is, and seemingly always was, because how else could it be? It's not a pleasant experience when it happens, as it is immensely confusing and uncomfortable, but it does offer hope for theories that may not seem theoretically obvious or possible.

Your theory being one that may very well be, in the same way, perfectly possible. Even though logically it shouldn't, and my mind actively rejects the concept, it could be exactly because of that that it could exactly be how it is. In this instance, I have faith that my subconscious reasoning could be completely inaccurate. And when I say ''logically it shouldn't,'' I mean no offence, of course, I'm just relaying my direct uninhibited thoughts on the matter.

Thank you too for your views on the matter, it has given me food for thought.

I have had way too many spiritual experiences to not believe in an afterlife. I wish you knew me better so you could trust me enough to piggy back on my faith.. but let me tell you this.. You have, like you said, 70 odd years ahead of you. You will change and experience so much in that time. You will grow and evolve and your beliefs will change. I don't in what direction you will decide to go (you could find God, or not) but just keep your heart open and realize that you don't have to figure it all out right now. If you really want God in your life just say out loud "God, if you are there, help me believe." That is asking for faith. Ask to be shown the truth. I did that and it took 4 years but I found it. It happened.
It's natural to fear death, it's what keeps us from risky behavior, try to tell yourself that. It's an instinct, just an instinct. Everything will be okay.
I have found that even if I didn't have faith, I wouldn't want to live forever. I am only 42 and am already haunted by things I have seen and memories of people I have lost... I think living with this trauma forever would be cruel. My mom always said "by the time you are old enough to die, you will be ready" and I believe her. I think she is right.
I am always willing to engage in conversations if you are in need of someone to talk to. xoxo Hope you feel better.

Hehe, I don't think I even know myself well enough to piggy back on my own faith, as I've just told Kihira.

I suppose it is largely a case of interpretation and experiences. Where you have reason to believe and interpret spirituality, I have reason to doubt and suspect power of suggestion, not due to right and wrong, but merely due to experiences and interpretation. Each new experience builds on the last, making us the people we are today. What that tells me more than anything is that I could be completely wrong. That realization prevents me from locking into a single mindset or perspective, as it's never final or absolute.

But while I can't directly adopt your faith, I respect you enough to consider your experiences and interpretation on them as potentially valid. I hope that doesn't sound condescending, I definitely don't mean it like that. It's supposed to mean quite the contrary. Your mother sounds like a smart women, and it definitely helps to know that my vantage point on this will greatly shift before my final deduction on all this becomes relevant.

And of course, thank you also for sharing your thoughts. It helps.

Ithior

How can Cleveland get the 1st draft pick for the 3rd time in 4 years? And this year they only had a 1.7% chance of getting it. Seems pretty rigged. Last year they wasted their 1st pick on some dude that never amounted to much (when there were many others clearly better). It looks like they were given the 1st pick again as a second opportunity. Last year, the odds were 15.6%, so it was acceptable. In 2011 the odds were 2.8% and this year they were 1.7%. Just for reference, the top 4 teams have a combined chance that amounts to 72.4%, so it's not like every team has the same probability of getting that 1st pick.

Really struggling right now. Yesterday a couple really bad things happened, including that my sister moved out on impulse and said some extremely hurtful things about us as a family. We're all pretty upset by it, but my mom especially is devastated. I just feel that same empty, despairing feeling you get when someone dumps you.

We had all these plans for the summer and the future and I was so happy she was home, and now she's not coming back from the trip she went on to see her friends. I can't believe this really happened.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I have an aversion to leisurewear.

How Hugh Hefner has walked around in his pajamas for 50 years and gotten anything done is beyond me. It would drive me nuts. Just the thought of that loose, silky, fabric gives me chills. I won't even wear sweatpants between the hours of 9 and 9, and their only saving grace is the fact that they have an athletic sounding name.

I don't know what my deal is - my dad wore a robe, so maybe that's it.

It's palpable.