People who drink/smoke

FriendlyShadow

Would you honestly befriend someone who drank/smoked around you first time you get to meet them or do you not like being around these kinds of people. Sometimes there are people that will tell me I'll change my mind or offer me to sip a beer or some type of fruity drink, but I refuse. I also understand the bad effects that smoking does to you and would never actually be with someone(even in a relationship) who smoked a lot. It's why I hate that people who are drinking college, which I don't think should be allowed, and bars and clubs people go to have a good time. I've seen the devastating effects that drinking and smoking does to your body and mind so I don't want to follow their footsteps. But I know some people would just say "Oh let loose, have fun"...

Ithior

Though I don't do any of those myself, I'm ok with those who drink socially. Can't stand smokers though, even if you tell them how much smoke bothers you most of them will still smoke next to you anyway. I don't think I'd be able to be in a relationship with a smoker, my mum is a heavy smoker and I can't leave my room without holding my breath.

FriendlyShadow

Can't stand smokers though, even if you tell them how much smoke bothers you most of them will still smoke next to you anyway.

There was a similar situation that happened to me once in my sister's house and she had her friend over with her baby and kids. We were all sitting on the porch while her friend was smoking cigarettes around me and her baby even! She had her baby sitting on the couch while she was smoking away, and I could faintly smell the smoke lingering towards me side. I had to cover my mouth and nose so I wouldn't inhale it. And you know what? Her friend turned her head to look at me and they both go "Jamie why are you covering your mouth." I had to use my eyes to look down at the cigarette she was holding so that she got the hint. Her and my sister both laughed and go "Oh why didn't you say something. You're so quiet. I didn't know that was bothering you." and then she walked in the front yard so that she could smoke. Oh sorry, I was just trying to protect myself against from not breathing in second hand smoke, I guess that was bad on my part. I mean really, I have to actually TELL her that her smoking bothers me. She can't even recognize that she smokes around her baby carelessly and she'll possibly give her baby a SID later down in life if this exposure continues(much as I don't want to think about something so disturbing) It's another reason why I can't understand why parents even have to smoke around their kids when they'll inhale what they are smoking. I'm honestly sick of feeling badgered by things that are someone else's irresponsibilities. I was only trying not to inhale that smoke so that my lungs at least wouldn't get damaged. I've had other people smoke around me and they seemed to care less if I'm bothered by it. :veryangry: If they need to smoke, then i'd wish they'd take it somewhere else where my nose/mouth doesn't have to inhale it.

Last edited:

AlienGeranium

Almost everyone I know not related to me smokes. I don't like the smell, but it's something I've just gotten used. When I went to college the walk between classes was just clouds of smoke, but there was fresh air mixed in there too somewhere, I think. It's certainly not a dealbreaker though, I'm not going to cut myself off from people who I could be friends with (or more) because they smoke. If it really bothers you, you can always leave the room or, as your sisters friend did suggested, ask them to smoke outside your proximity. I know a lot of times when smoke starts to make me feel sick I'll just excuse myself and find some fresh air, I don't think anyone thinks much of it when I do. Great opportunity to recharge a little bit too when doing the whole socialization thing.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Yea I've never smoked. I'm the only one out of my whole family who's never smoked.
Really dislike the habit.
Can't stand being around drunkards either.

Never change who you are just to please others.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Most of my friends drink and smoke. I don't really care, expect for the fact that I can see them dying slowly. I can see it annoys some of them that I don't drink anymore (generally) because I met most of them in bars and parties, but they are used to it now so they don't make a big deal out of it.

For the smoking, they generally care for me not to breathe their smoke, because they know I have asthma and some of them have seen me having a crisis before and they don't want to see that again. :p

R3K

one theory I have about people who drink and smoke (the replies in this thread kind of confirm it), is that they tend to cling socially to un-social people like us social phobics. cause we're amiable and agreeable to everything and anything they want to do.

then us non drinking/smoking social phobics don't get any exposure to healthy people so we stay dark and somber like our alcoholic, chain-smoking "friends" who need us to wallow in depravity with them.

misery loves company.

SCP-087-1

I drink. In two different ways. Some days I will have a beer with dinner. Sometimes I drink socially where I have a few drinks. It's fun, it's a social lubricant, I don't binge drink. I think drinking is perfectly acceptable unless you are an alcoholic. An actual alcoholic. Just because someone drinks does not mean they are an alcoholic.

I don't smoke. I wouldn't date anyone who smokes. But I have friends who smoke. I don't like when people smoke around non-smokers.

If you dislike drinking/smoking, there is no reason you should ever give in to pressure to do either of those. There are absolutely zero benefits to smoking, and drinking does more harm than good as well.

I always intensely hated cigarettes because someone in my family is a smoker and I hated how it made me cough and how the smell would stay in my hair and clothes for hours after I was around it. I swore I'd never touch the stuff, but once in a while I will smoke something, not regularly. And I'm always worried I'll end up addicted, so I prooooobably shouldn't :p

I dislike regular cigarette smokers and I dislike drunks, so yeah, I wouldn't want to spend much time around people who make those an everyday thing. But if you don't want to be around it at all, that is completely fine and you will be healthier for it.

The Observer

You "hate" people because they choose to live their lives different from yours. Man you need to grow up and learn to respect peoples rights on how they choose to live their lives.

FriendlyShadow

You "hate" people because they choose to live their lives different from yours. Man you need to grow up and learn to respect peoples rights on how they choose to live their lives.

First off, I don't appreciate the way you're talking to me in this post. I did not say that I hate people who choose to smoke/drink, I said I don't think I could handle being around others who smoked around me or drink personally and of course I wouldn't try to change these people. Some of the people that do drink have peer pressured me into saying "Oh let loose just have a taste of it." "You'll change your mind." I'm not giving into these people no matter how many times they pull this coercion on me for not drinking. All I'm saying is that I know the serious health effects that damage other people because of the symptoms of consuming alcohol or smoking, I've seen images of what people looked like before and after the effects of either smoking or drinking. This is not to say that I WILL change these people to quit smoking or drinking, but I don't think I could honestly be around them too long. There's no need for posting such a hostile comment because about what I said. The people who even smoke around me I guess could care less if I was around them and I don't want to get any health risks from inhaling intoxicating substances that are harmful to my lungs and body. I honestly would never even be in a relationship with someone who smoked or drink. I just can't imagine being with a spouse that had a lifestyle like that, even if he's a heavy drinker or smoker. If you want to disagree with me, then go ahead. I'm not here to start an argument with any of you, but comments like these I really think are standoffish and harsh. Observer, just remember that these are my opinions and I'm not trying to attack anyone on here.

FriendlyShadow

To everyone(almost) of this post, I appreciate the responses and honesty. My point that I was just trying to get across maybe didn't come off the way it should've sounded, but IMO, as I've been stating, I just couldn't see myself being around others, actually I have been around other people who have drank and smoked and I think most of them were pretty much regular drinkers/smokers but I'm really talking about if I were to become friends with people who were just only drinkers/party animals/ smokers/ect. I respect to those of you who don't mind being surrounded by social drinkers or smokers. However, me, personally, I wouldn't want to be around those types of people who do those things and definitely would not kick into the habit myself. Excuse me if I sounded judgemental in thread.

FriendlyShadow

If you dislike drinking/smoking, there is no reason you should ever give in to pressure to do either of those. There are absolutely zero benefits to smoking, and drinking does more harm than good as well.

I always intensely hated cigarettes because someone in my family is a smoker and I hated how it made me cough and how the smell would stay in my hair and clothes for hours after I was around it. I swore I'd never touch the stuff, but once in a while I will smoke something, not regularly. And I'm always worried I'll end up addicted, so I prooooobably shouldn't :p

I dislike regular cigarette smokers and I dislike drunks, so yeah, I wouldn't want to spend much time around people who make those an everyday thing. But if you don't want to be around it at all, that is completely fine and you will be healthier for it.

Thank you Opaline. I understand that I wouldn't want to spend with people who smoked or drank much either as an everyday thing. I certainly would never touch alcohol or a cigarrette even if someone persuaded me to try it. Funny, I see some commercials/PSAs about that were about drunk driving, there were older commercials about the effects smoking does to your lungs, eyes, heart, arteries, even smokers like Terrie Hall who died a terrible death from smoking so much. I've even watched PSAs (Montanna Meth Project) about even teenagers who use meth and what it does to their bodies and alters their personality quickly. It's frightening how someone who uses the drug once and then they'll use it again and again like running around in circles.

Ithior

I don't think anyone mentioned hate.

It's one thing to smoke, it's a completely different thing to smoke next to someone who doesn't want to breathe smoke. Not only is it harmful for people with respiratory issues like myself, but second-hand smoke can also cause cancer. So if you live or spend a lot of time with a heavy smoker or several smokers, they're literally killing you. And they seem to forget this little fact because they just need to have their cigarette, they can't even wait 2 minutes for you to get out of the room.

Now I know some smokers try to be respectful of other people, but the vast majority does not care about the people around them. You want to smoke, I'm fine with that, but don't do it in my house, in the room I'm at nor next to me if we're outside. Applying what you said to smokers, they need to "respect peoples rights on how they choose to live their lives". If people don't want to smoke, don't force them to breathe second-hand smoke.

Megaten

"I've seen the devastating effects that drinking and smoking does to your body and mind so I don't want to follow their footsteps."

Same thing can be said about overeating. You don't avoid fat people do you? Ok Im just messing with you. Anyways yeah my best friend smokes and drinks and its not a big deal to me. Though I dont hang around him when he's smoking. I would say loosen up too...but everyone has their preferences, so do what you want. There's more than enough drinkers and smokers in the world to keep them company.

I don't like drinking or smoking to go on around me, and I certainly couldn't hang around with people who would try to convince me to do either of them. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes at all, despite growing up with an extended family full of smokers. Just do it somewhere else and it doesn't bother me.

Also, I refuse to ride in the car of someone who smokes. That smell doesn't come out.

I like to drink and smoke (weed and hookah) every few months or so. I don't really think it's an issue as long as it's not excessive. Cigarettes aren't really for me, though. As long as no one is being hurt (with the exception of the person who is drinking/smoking, obviously), live and let live.

Last edited:

dannyboy65

I used to be a smoker, and drinker, I also used to smoke a lot of marijuana. I've been clean from drugs for 2 years, alcohol free for almost a year now and I have been smoke free for 7 months.

I don't mind if people smoke or drink, as long as they don't push me into it or offer me any cause I struggled with it. But if they do any kind of drug even marijuana I don't like talking to them and I don't want to deal with them. But if I had a choice someone who doesn't do anything is great too me. I don't mind if they drink socially either as long as they are responsible.

AtTheGates

Banned
^ yeah I know what you mean...When I was a teenager (and up until I was about 20) I used to mess around with drugs/alcohol and being so young I really didnt know how to handle myself at all..I made such a fool of myself...I met some really shady people at that time in my life...drug dealers are the absolute worst, I swear ......anyway, I'm so glad I left all of that behind me...I had to remove so many people from my life but it was for the best....but in general, people who are ALWAYS smoking, drinking, or getting loaded in one way or another REALLY can't be trusted...they really aren't good people to be around...i find a lot of them to be quite selfish and inconsiderate.

I think some people go into it thinking that its somehow a cool thing to do...but then it really comes back to bite them in the ***.

Last edited: