People laugh when I get angry

FriendlyShadow

Do you hate it when you are really upset or angered by something and others tend to smile or laugh at you being like that? I know whenever I get annoyed or ready to burst into anger, people always look in astonishment and smile at me and giggle/laugh purposely. I hate that so much! That causes me to get even more angry and annoyed. I don't find it myself funny at all. I guess they think it's hilarious that a quiet person like me would shout and be annoyed out of nowhere when I have serious problems.

planemo

People tend to get annoyed when i get angry. almost like "who gives you the right to do so?" even when i have the right to do so. i guess i'm so quiet and so passive i just take peoples jam but eventually i hit a limit and they feel i should go back to being silent. i can't imagine what being laughed at must be like.

FriendlyShadow

There are times where people have this surprised look on their face and say "Wow." They say that word in in amazement, like they have never seen me get in full rage or something. And then they go ahead and and giggle and laugh because they think that's funny. I don't know how else i'm supposed vent out my frustrations and emotions if people are going mock and get mad at me for feeling these things.

Anxy

I can relate. It's like people don't take us seriously because they think something we said is "cute" (which is not) or silly.

JohnnAY

It is infuriating because it's dismissive. They are implying that you and your concerns are of no importance.

But if you're angry and causing a scene, they're probably just nervous.

Flanscho

Well, the question is why they giggle at you when you do that. Is it because you are so angry at things that are not really worth being angry at?

theoutsider

Do you hate it when you are really upset or angered by something and others tend to smile or laugh at you being like that? I know whenever I get annoyed or ready to burst into anger, people always look in astonishment and smile at me and giggle/laugh purposely. I hate that so much! That causes me to get even more angry and annoyed. I don't find it myself funny at all. I guess they think it's hilarious that a quiet person like me would shout and be annoyed out of nowhere when I have serious problems.

I think they react like that because they feel non threatened. I've seen this before. I've also seen someone get popped in the mouth for not taking a quiet person seriously when they were angry. Hopefully, you will never get THAT angry but they don't know that. Cut people out of your life who don't have enough respect for you to even acknowledge when you are upset.

FriendlyShadow

Well, the question is why they giggle at you when you do that. Is it because you are so angry at things that are not really worth being angry at?

Well, for most of the time it could be about the pressure I have in school like homework and then I get easily frustrated because I don't figure out certain problems. Just things that seem difficult to could get me angry. It's kind of disrespectful when I get laughed at for these things. I bet they wouldn't like it every time I laughed at them when they are impatient, angered, or frustrated.

Luckylife

Personally I don't enjoy being angry and mostly it expresses itself by me feeling angry when I am alone. What I usually do is calm down and think about who/what I am annoyed with and the next time there is interaction, be more forceful with my (obviously) different views. Sad to say that 'anger' is rather futile and often self destructive, but I am adult and haven't had to put up with schooling for some time. I do get laughed at but if they knew how hopeless I am at remembering and arithmetic they'd probably be shocked. If other peoples reaction to your anger is to smile and laugh then they don't want you to be angry and would rather that you were happy.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
They laugh because they think you're harmless.

It's like watching a comedic actor trying to do drama. It's a very negating experience, and can wreak havoc on someone's already impoverished sense of self-esteem. It reinforces the false idea that nothing you say or do matters.

My advice would be to practice being more expressive in-general. Get used to wearing your emotions on your face a little bit more (nothing dramatic, just become less guarded as far as letting yourself show how you feel), this will acclimate others to identifying your genuine emotions and make it easier to "buy" your anger the next time it surfaces.

FriendlyShadow

Personally I don't enjoy being angry and mostly it expresses itself by me feeling angry when I am alone. What I usually do is calm down and think about who/what I am annoyed with and the next time there is interaction, be more forceful with my (obviously) different views. Sad to say that 'anger' is rather futile and often self destructive, but I am adult and haven't had to put up with schooling for some time. I do get laughed at but if they knew how hopeless I am at remembering and arithmetic they'd probably be shocked. If other peoples reaction to your anger is to smile and laugh then they don't want you to be angry and would rather that you were happy.

I haven't looked into this thread lately to see if any more posts were sent. Anyways, I too don't enjoy being angry either, in fact that it just makes things more difficult and stressful for me. I wish I could learn to control my temper better though.

If other peoples reaction to your anger is to smile and laugh then they don't want you to be angry and would rather that you were happy.

I understand that others would like me to be happy (though it's too late now since of all the years I had to put up with negativity and scorn from others), however their reaction of smiling and laughing at my anger is not going to help. It's disrespectful. I know my parents and others around me get angered about things, but I'd never laugh at them. The least that people can do for me to be happy is to treat me like a person instead of a play doll.

FriendlyShadow

I can relate. It's like people don't take us seriously because they think something we said is "cute" (which is not) or silly.

Another problem I have with venting my anger is that I can't necessarily find the right words or express myself because it comes out as forced and unnatural in some ways. I have very crap body language, I stumble over my words, or it just comes out as forced when I'm talking in an angry way. I'm not very good at talking angrily in a natural way or yell at people because they can't take me seriously. It's so annoying.

Lilly789

WHO exactly has laughed when you are angry? It sounds like a relationship issue, and their rudeness and lack of empathy for others rather than anything else- that usually happens with dysfunctional relationships and communication issues within families.

Id never laugh at someone who was angry. Unless I was too, to specifically piss them off and hurt them.

No one has every laughed at me when I was angry.

akala

i did have a cousin who found it amusing when i got mad and he would just tease me all the time. Even when i stayed over at their house he would pull my mattress on the floor while i was asleep on it. I think he was just pure evil.

S_Spartan

I dated a girl years ago who would laugh hysterically when people would hurt themselves.

One day I stubbed my toe and she was rolling on the floor.

nicole1

People tend to...brush it off. Or treat me like I'm being crazy. I hate it because I'm no different from anyone else; my anger is as legitimate as others. No one likes to feel like their feelings don't matter... But people tend to make it like mine truly doesn't matter.

FriendlyShadow

People tend to...brush it off. Or treat me like I'm being crazy. I hate it because I'm no different from anyone else; my anger is as legitimate as others. No one likes to feel like their feelings don't matter... But people tend to make it like mine truly doesn't matter.

Aww, I'm so sorry that people aren't giving you the respect you deserve Nicole. I don't know if it's really because we are quiet people and people rarely see us get angry or if they just do it because they're immature themselves. I hate it when whenever people are angry and I respect them by not laughing or teasing, but if the situation would be reversed we're the ones who mocked at and humiliated by. It's very disrespectful would make the person likely to get even more mad.

FriendlyShadow

WHO exactly has laughed when you are angry? It sounds like a relationship issue, and their rudeness and lack of empathy for others rather than anything else- that usually happens with dysfunctional relationships and communication issues within families.

Id never laugh at someone who was angry. Unless I was too, to specifically piss them off and hurt them.

No one has every laughed at me when I was angry.

I know my sister laughed at me when I was angry. I don't know, just certain people who find my frustrations amusing to them for whatever reason and then they tell me to cheer up and be happy. I'm so sick of hearing that. Why should someone who lived a negative life all their years get told to be happy??? I do live in a dysfunctional family as well so that might contribute to those problems. It's so frustrating when you feed off negative energy from negative people and then when you're surrounded by positive people it's even more frustrating because they don't understand and tell you differently.