open relationship/open marriage-thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odo

Banned
I will add, though, that it seems to be primarily a male desire... I can't think of a culture where a central woman has multiple husbands/lovers all at once as something normal and accepted on a widespread scale. If I'm wrong, sorry, but I really can't think of any, not even the Greeks. Interesting..

It exists, though:

Polyandry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think men are more likely to admit it because overall it's still more socially acceptable for men to be slutty.

dottie

I think men are more likely to admit it because overall it's still more socially acceptable for men to be slutty.

or their biological predisposition to "want" to spread their seed. but most of us at the top of the food chain like to hold ourselves to a higher standard than base animalistic urges.

Odo

Banned
or their biological predisposition to "want" to spread their seed. but most of us at the top of the food chain like to hold ourselves to a higher standard than base animalistic urges.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has reproductive urges.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
He means that all sinners will be eaten in the virgin uprising of 2014.

Just kidding-- it means he considers himself inherently superior to anyone who can actually get laid.
She, and she's actually pretty cute.

As to what she meant...I'd like to hear her explain it. :idontknow:

MollyBeGood

How did you read that into the post? I saw a post clearly stating a preference for the relationships they are comfortable with, not deciding what anyone else should do, or judging who or how many they can love.

The real feeling here is "Do what you want, and don't hurt others, if you DO then it's crap."

wear a condom, have fun etc...

dottie

I do not understand this bit. Could you please clarify it for me?

more civilized, pretty much. maybe i didn't word that well, it was pretty early... i just think it's animalistic, uncivilized to hump anyone with a shortsided consideration or blatant disregard to social/psychological/spiritual(?) ramifications. i'm too lazy and don't have enough time to persuade on the interwebs. everyone has an opinion, this is mine.

Lea

Banned
more civilized, pretty much. maybe i didn't word that well, it was pretty early... i just think it's animalistic, uncivilized to hump anyone with a shortsided consideration or blatant disregard to social/psychological/spiritual(?) ramifications. i'm too lazy and don't have enough time to persuade on the interwebs. everyone has an opinion, this is mine.

:thumbup:

Saraswati

I wouldn't be okay with it.
I have a boyfriend and the thought of us seeing other people would not make me happy.
We all need different people around us that satisfy our diverse needs (talking about this, talking about that, going to a yoga class, going to a football match etc.) but not in a romantical way. That what friends are for. And all the other people in your life.

I see the need for having to be with more people than your partner as being somehow unsatisfied. Wouldn't that mean that there is something wrong with your relationship?
Or with yourself? Maybe you're a nymphomaniac, maybe you can't deal with the issues in your relationship and take the easy way out, maybe you are not mature enough and not ready for this kind of a commitment....

People should really take a look at themselves. Whatever problems they have (in a relationship and out of them), they have it because something is not right. But looking deep inside yourself is what most people are afraid to do. They run from it. They run from the most intimate relationship they have because they are afraid of seeing themselves for what they are. They want to mantain status quo, they want to keep their familiar life, familiar habits etc.

I do not mind other people being happy in that kind of a relationships but I would have a problem with it.
Being in a relationship for me is to be with someone who makes you happy and makes you realize who you are. Staying in a relationship that is really intimate can change you for the best if you are strong enough to stay in it even when things go bad.

JNet

My thoughts on it? Not for me. I don't see it working the way it is "supposed" to, for anyone. When feelings get involved - and they will - things inevitably go south. I don't even think most guys would REALLY go for that, they like to think they would and act like big ol' studs, but in reality, they have hearts too and I don't think they could have an open marriage with a person that they truly loved.

ruhig

If some people can manage this kind of relationship and be happy, why not? It's about being honest with oneself and others, I guess. It's up to each individual to recognize their feelings and needs.
I would probably be too insecure for it: doesn't mean it can't work for others ;)

Flanscho

:rolleyes: pretty sure the thread asked for thoughts on the subject matter. you seem to have a problem whenever anyone opposes it. my opinion still stands: grody.

No, I do not have a problem with people not sharing my opinion.

I have a problem with people who give a **** about what other people feel, and instead simply claim that they know how everybody else on the planet feel.

I have a problem with people who wish other people to get sick, in some cases even so sick that they die. And why? Because they don't live the way you want them to.

It sickens me that someone like you runs around, calling it lies what other people say, claiming that only you know the truth, and then want them to become ill.

It's as if you run around and seriously want people dead for wearing clothes of a color you dislike, regardless whether they actually wear that color, because you take a dump on what they say.

Remus

Staff member
Thread closed as people started bitching.

If you are offended by someone's post, report it, don't flame further.

Status
Not open for further replies.