"Ok, everyone pick a partner"

Gidi

I always got the left over person when everyone has already picked there partners

Nope,didn't had problems there,in fact I kinda liked it because usually team projects were easy and a good opportunity to get some high grades.

Same here. For some reason I never got nervous over a picking a partner but there are millions of other similar things that do scare me.

"Let's go around the room" is quite possibly the most terrifying statement in the English language. I normally wouldn't go to classes on the first day of school because of the prospect of introducing myself. Once in college I just grabbed my backpack and walked out the door after the professor said that.

(btw, oh hai, I'm new here. :))

starburst

Hearing this in the classroom used to bug me too, especially since I was capable of doing all the work on my own. My partners were almost always slackers who let me do all the work anyway. I also didn't like that when you started a new subject/class you were made to introduce yourself to everyone. Very awkward for me.

Valhalla

A horrible phrase. Though different from year to year ...

Also when assignments involved something with "friends/comrades". I'm afraid we got a slight technical problem here ...

AsTimeBurns

Even up to university, i'd always just wait until everyone else had joined groups and see if there were any stragglers. If they weren't I'd just do it on my own, or just not to the project at all and fail.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I hated that, mostly because we weren't a pair number in my class, everyone hated me, so I always was the only one who ended up without a partner/group. I always ended up begging the teacher to just let me work alone, but they'd force me to work with a random group that didn't like me, they'd treat me like sh*t the whole time instead of working... blah.

I hated that, mostly because we weren't a pair number in my class, everyone hated me, so I always was the only one who ended up without a partner/group. I always ended up begging the teacher to just let me work alone, but they'd force me to work with a random group that didn't like me, they'd treat me like sh*t the whole time instead of working... blah.

Yep, one time my "friends" decided not to let me in their group for a grade 10 science and I was paired up with a group of girls who hated me and spent the entire time making fun of my acne. We also ended up failing that assignment.

Kiwong

I used to wait until everyone had a partner and either get whoever was left or better still miss out all together if it was dancing or gym.

These days it's out with the butchers paper and let's break into to groups. No thanks.

MikeyC

I hated that when I was at school. If there was an odd number of people, I would always fear I would be the one left out, which was sometimes the case.

Then I'd be paired with the teacher.

Minty

Really awkward. I would just sit there and let someone pick me. Sometimes the teacher would let me work alone. I hated partner/group work mainly because I was going through all of this anxiety that didn't pay off in the end, because I wouldn't be able to focus on the assignment, and I'd learn nothing.

Solitudes_Grace

id always just wait till eveyone had a partner and id just go with whoever was left or the teacher would put me with someone

unless i happened to have someone come up and ask for me to be their partner (which was rare)

That was always how it played out for me as well.

I hated partner/group work mainly because I was going through all of this anxiety that didn't pay off in the end, because I wouldn't be able to focus on the assignment, and I'd learn nothing.

Same here. I always learned a lot more when I worked alone.

Last edited:

takethislife

Haha oh yeah. The best "Ok, everyone pick a partner" situation was when we were learning how to dance in school. Imagine that.

Predacon

Oh yeah that brings back a lot of memories, pick a partner or get into groups. That was the worse part of school, I had no one I could automatically go to and I hated the idea of asking if I could go into thier group, it felt like I was begging. Half the time I ended with the slackers or the weirdos.

WeirdyMcGee

One time in grade 6 biology class, we were to split up into groups that the teacher wasn't regulating at all.
Everyone else was in groups of 3 and I was the only person alone.
So, I did the assignment and managed the first A++ ever given by this teacher.

The next group assignment, I had a partner.

The next year in a new school, though... no partners. No one had heard of my A++ and no one cared.
I'm a weirdy, afterall.
Who would want to be grouped with a weirdy?

Xervello

True story: I changed schools because of it, lol. I was raised in a small, private school. At the beginning of high school there was a mandatory prom-like dance that each student was forced to attend. Meaning I'd have to ask a girl to go with me, dress up, endure the entire, awkward ritual of it all, etc. I'd been dreading it all the previous year knowing it was looming. My friends, one by one, had all jettisoned to public school over the years, so I'd finally decided to leave and take my chances there. Changing schools was no picnic either. But it was the lesser of two awkward choices. Public school was bigger; I was able to disappear in the crowd easier. And I never went to prom. I dunno if that's something to be happy about or not, ha ha.