"Ok, everyone pick a partner"

lilmutegirl

Yeah, I always hated that. I tended to have an even number of friends in class, so they'd all pair up with one another, and I ended up with whomever else nobody wanted.
Things alway seemed better if it was a group project (as opposed to just 2 people paired up). In fact, in my first class in college, we were supposed to make a group, and I was sitting near two guys I went to high school with (none of us were particularly close to the others, but we didn't know anybody else in class). We all just looked at each other and shrugged (like, "well, we may as well make our own group"). A guy I met at registration (whom I later dated) joined our group as well. So did this bitchy chick--I don't know what her problem was. Another group had to disband, so got another guy too.
In 8th grade, I had a good experience with group selection. In speech class, we were to separate into groups to make a "commercial." I was currently sitting at a table with 3 guys--a friend (with whom I'm still friends), and two guys I had crushes on (I dated one of them too, and the other one called me...) The girls at the table next to us (including a slutty, bitchy girl) offered for me to join their group, and the guys said, "or you could be with us." It was a pretty easy decision...

dragonoth

I didn't have a problem in this department, but whenever there was a 'dress-up day' my heart would sink to the lowest depths of Earth. I hated and dreaded every single one of them. I was always paranoid about dressing up with the wrong clothing and looking like a tit for it. It was such a stressful situation for me.
I realise this is the strangest thing to get anxious over since dress-up days are supposed to be fun and creative. But I was an overly self-conscious child.

CakiestCake

Didn't had much problems with this either, as normally people asked me to join their group. I did have major problems with doing presentations at school infront of the class though, I would feel sick a week before it actually happened.

MikeyC

I did have major problems with doing presentations at school infront of the class though, I would feel sick a week before it actually happened.
Sometimes anticipating the event can be worse than the event. However, in my case, I was shaking and stammering when having to do speeches in front of the class. ::(:

MrSunday

I would not dance at a party. Don't see the point of flapping my arms about and jumping. It's so pointless.co.uk.

If someone forces me to dance, they'll die on the spot.

crazypants

I'm actually wincing just reading that phrase. So awful!

Labs were the worst for me. In science class I could sit by myself and get through it, but then the teacher would tell us to pair up at a bunsen burner. Worst part was that I knew it was coming, so I'd sit there all class long praying that he would assign partners instead of letting us do it ourselves.

I realize this is just my (our) particular issues and anxieties, but when I think back to school, I'm really amazed at how teachers had no sensitivity to all of these devastating social situations.

WeirdyMcGee

Once, in careers class; we had to pick partners then draw our 'occupations' out of a hat.
I was paired up with the other person in class who no one wanted to pair with.
But joke was on them! She drew the highest paid career available!
Take that!!

Then we adopted 3 children from Africa.
The end.

...man... just like real life!

crazypants

I would not dance at a party. Don't see the point of flapping my arms about and jumping. It's so pointless.co.uk.

If someone forces me to dance, they'll die on the spot.

I've nearly gotten into fights with people over dancing. Weddings, usually.

They don't understand that it was a miracle for me to even attend the wedding in the first place. Just leave me the F alone!

MikeyC

I realize this is just my (our) particular issues and anxieties, but when I think back to school, I'm really amazed at how teachers had no sensitivity to all of these devastating social situations.
The curriculum they had to follow didn't allow for insecurities. They're just doing what they're told. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

1BlackSheep

And I never went to prom. I dunno if that's something to be happy about or not, ha ha.
Me neither. I don't even know why I wanted to go because it would have been such an anxious ordeal, but I feel like I missed out on one of the "big somethings" in life. A friend from high school later told me that there was someone who wanted to take me but thought I was seeing someone who didn't go to our school, yet she didn't let him know that I wasn't. I'll never really forgive her for that. ::(:

JuiceB

I always had a problem with introducing myself or standing up and reading aloud in class.

crazypants

I’d never pick a colleague, I’d just stand there waiting for a quantum leap to my room, so generally I’d always end up alone, or left for last so someone would have to be “burdened” to team up with me.

I remember this girl rolling her eyes as she realized she’d have dance with me. How nice of her.

I also remember my first day at highschool. I was one of the first people entering the room. There were 3 pairs of tables on each row. I picked a seat at the second row. Everyone started filling up the room and sitting down…no one sat at my side. Damn it...I even had cologne put on…an expensive one at that…well, not really, but still...

Kids can be such jerks. ::(:

I always hate arriving late somewhere, because you have to walk in the room and everyone's eyes are on you. I guess arriving early is no better!

MikeyC

I remember this girl rolling her eyes as she realized she’d have dance with me. How nice of her.
Yeah, I got this, too. It never helps to remember, does it? ::(:

Me neither. I don't even know why I wanted to go because it would have been such an anxious ordeal, but I feel like I missed out on one of the "big somethings" in life. A friend from high school later told me that there was someone who wanted to take me but thought I was seeing someone who didn't go to our school, yet she didn't let him know that I wasn't. I'll never really forgive her for that. ::(:
I'm sorry. That must've been frustrating knowing that.

Invisibleman

Yeah I hate that. Especially since even if I always had a few friends it was always an even number so they would be with each other leaving me out to dry.I remember I would always insist to the teacher that im better off working alone but they still would never let me.

Srijita52

I’d never pick a colleague, I’d just stand there waiting for a quantum leap to my room, so generally I’d always end up alone, or left for last so someone would have to be “burdened” to team up with me.

I also remember my first day at highschool. I was one of the first people entering the room. There were 3 pairs of tables on each row. I picked a seat at the second row. Everyone started filling up the room and sitting down…no one sat at my side. Damn it...I even had cologne put on…an expensive one at that…well, not really, but still...
I'm sorry about your experiences.