Oh my God...

Why

yeah i heard that many of the greatest artists struggled with mental disorders

Pookah

I think artistic people and SAD/depressed folk seem to feel more intensely than the general population.

Creativity of expression would go hand and hand with that kind of temperament.

Which is basically what everyone else is saying now that I read more of the replies. :p

I just replay shit I learn though, I couldn't make anything if my life depended on it. It's about as creative as re-typing a textbook into microsoft word :p
Doesn't count at all.

I'm very musically inclined, love to play any/all instruments (except stringed ones hurt my fingers ::p:), but I'm not creative AT ALL. Music theory classes basically padded my GPA in college because they were worth the most credits (4 each) and were the ones I had to study for the least (usually never).

oui

Beauty does not come from beauty. That is to say, in my humble opinion, those already gifted with perfection, whether mental or physical, will not strive to create it through art or music.

Last edited:

limetree

It is very much possible to think yourself into mental illness. There could be an artistic temperament describing people who tend to be more sensitive/perceptive to being-in-the-world, thus exponential in passion/empathy, intellect and imagination. Heightened awareness magnifies the philosophical implications of their own and others' suffering, increasing curiosity for novel experiences/ideas in search of meaning/perspective; universal insights they can personalise/reinvent, or iconoclastic insights they feel are worth crusading for. Thus to the philosophers who said art is pointless, art is not always as self-absorbed as its initial motives may appear.
With so many variables to consider, often questioning the current and historical norms, this isn't an easy task, it is often a lifelong quest. It does not even have to be done through conventional notions of art because in a sense everyone is a philosopher, scientist or artist in our pursuit of understanding. For a select few, there is a restlessness to create and disseminate, perhaps from perceiving that the majority of cultural consumers are unaware of this profoundly untamed dimension which dwells so imperatively within themselves. Being too conscious of everything, trying to make sense of all the contradictions perceived about human nature would be overwhelming, so artists often resort to substance abuse, which in turn exacerbates strung out creativity and suicidal tendencies. ~*~

Some even manage to find creative ways to kill themselves eg. Sylvia Plath sticking her head in a gas oven and she was bipolar :|

Severe depression can also block creativity, but having an intense story to tell brooding within you still remains. Melancholia can induce pensive rumination which bears a solemn strength and wisdom. Hypomania would also heighten creativity as euphoria provokes a flood of ideas, endless energy and ambition for success. I want to take a psych class now :( Kinda...I'm sort of lazy.

Phil_i

I just replay shit I learn though, I couldn't make anything if my life depended on it. It's about as creative as re-typing a textbook into microsoft word :p
Doesn't count at all.

Ah, you should just start playing and see what comes out :)

Silvox Black

Artists tend to be more knowledgeable and intelligent in how they view the world. This is no mistake in that the more intelligent you are, the more likely you shall require psychological help. The more intelligent you are the more you realize just how dismal this existence is..

brokenfingers04

Artists tend to be more knowledgeable and intelligent in how they view the world. This is no mistake in that the more intelligent you are, the more likely you shall require psychological help. The more intelligent you are the more you realize just how dismal this existence is..

Dismal is right. The more meaning you find in life, the more you realize it doesn't matter in the end. Everything revolves
around everythiing. Does that make sense?¢¯? Mundane yet abstract and interesting

well i dont have to worry about that at least,no artistic talents where im concerned.sorry to all that are though,

Me neither! I'm usually sad that I paint and draw like a 10 yr old, but after reading this thread, I'm not as envious of artists as I was before.

Nack

Banned
Why am i not surprised? In an artist world, everything is perfect and up to exceed their standards. Compare to real life, its ****ed up... In conclusion: which one would you rather live in...

tucktick

I suppose, I'm fairly artistically inclined and yes I'm also severely depressive at times, mostly all the time. My big brother suffers from SAD of the same level as I, but he is not artistic at all. Now, if I think about it, I've never really seen him depressed. A lot of times, when I'm depressed, my family avoids me because of my high level of Emoness, which makes it even worse. Depression does come in my way of being able to create, it sucks out all of my talent. However, When I'm happy, I tend to be really creative and productive. I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that, only way I'm ever gonna be happy is by being ignorant. Maybe for people like us, Ignorance truly is bliss.

Last edited:

206Raider

people say I'm really artistic but I don't draw that often, in high school I made some drawing in art class and the teacher was a bitch to me all year becuase she critisized everything I did but she said that was one of the best drawings she's seen and she took my drawing and sent it in to some contest and I won 20 dollars lol.