Oh my God...

Harleyq

I was reading my psych book for a test and it said that statistically, artistic people are eighteen times more likely to commit suicide than the rest of the population and they're eight to ten times more likely to become depressed and ten to twenty times more likely to be bipolar.

I mean, that's an enormous population skew. We're not even talking twice as likely, we're talking upwards of 20 times more likely to be f-cked up in one way or another.

Just struck me because besides the giant skew, I thought of SPW world and how there's a surprisingly large number of creatively-talented people on this site.

You guys can't leave me ::(:

Darker Than Black

I was reading my psych book for a test and it said that statistically, artistic people are eighteen times more likely to commit suicide than the rest of the population and they're eight to ten times more likely to become depressed and ten to twenty times more likely to be bipolar.

I mean, that's an enormous population skew. We're not even talking twice as likely, we're talking upwards of 20 times more likely to be f-cked up in one way or another.

Just struck me because besides the giant skew, I thought of SPW world and how there's a surprisingly large number of creatively-talented people on this site.

You guys can't leave me ::(:

I consider myself to be musically talented, it passes on my dad's side. Don't worry, we're not leaving

Harleyq

what if its the other way round? what if they are better artists as their depression is what help them making such great pieces of art / w/e?
saying that cause there was a guy at school that was a very good artist, he could paint great things and everyone said that it was probably his depression that kind of gave him the 'power' to do it.

Even so...whether people who would fall into those statistics are creative because of their mental turbulence or are more susceptible to mental illness because of their artistic natures, it's a bit alarming because the reasoning behind it doesn't change the numbers.

Not trying to say that I freaked out and started thinking "Holy crap, everyone on SPW is probably suicidal/depressed/bipolar!" lol. It just took me by surprise how large the statistics are and then I thought it would be interesting to share here, because this is a site for mental illness with a large population of artistic people, so I thought people here might be better able to understand/empathize with possible reasons behind these statistics, even if they don't personally fall within that category of being extremely likely to develop suicidal tendencies/depression/bipolar (whereas others might just go "woah, why's that?")...I hope that made sense :)

Idk about suicidal and/or depressed people but in the case of those with bipolar, I definitely think most of their creativity is caused by having mental illness. When you have mood swings and chemical imbalances to that degree, I don't see how a person couldn't have some creative spurts now and then.

LazyHermitCrab

i think everyone has somewhat of an artistic side the degrees of it are different.. its comparing artistic people with others who have no interest in movies, drawings, understanding other perspectives, ect is that even possible? that would be more depressing =P

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Believe that it's rather because of depression or another type of mental illness, that people may become artistic. Creating something out of something that is painful, or even creating just to take the mind off other worries might be reasons for artistry. I know that when there is a problem that I'm facing, that perhaps causes anxiety, pain, suicidal impulses or the like, I feel the need to express it through writing, song or art rather than speaking to friends/family or a therapist about it.

Many of my favourite musicians have had mental illnesses (bipolar, borderline, depersonalization etc) and have used their experiences as a means to create. Without their emotional and mental struggles, they would have no inspiration.

Walk

You know this is interesting. Reminds me of insanely successful musicians and actors/actresses. They seem to almost have all that the ego wants: money, fame, legacy. Yet, so many of them are so depressed and suicidal. So many of them abuse alcohol and other drugs.

Humans can be funny creatures. We complain when we don't have it all, and we complain when we do. That's why a lot of people say that happiness comes not from WHAT you have, but HOW you view things. Easier said than done though.

Harleyq

i think everyone has somewhat of an artistic side the degrees of it are different.. its comparing artistic people with others who have no interest in movies, drawings, understanding other perspectives, ect is that even possible? that would be more depressing =P

I think it was referring more towards people who regularly and frequently express some form of art - writing, music, drawing - than towards people who are imaginative but don't use that imagination to create something, or don't do it very often.

You're right, that would be really depressing...I can't imagine a world full of people who aren't moved or interested in art in some way. I remember in my philosophy class we studied one or two philosophers who thought art was a waste of space and thought that art makes us stupid because it exposes us to second-hand distortions of reality, which takes us away from the real truth of life. I was thinking "Remind me never to be in that person's presence" lol

Lorraine Manca

or maybe crazy folks just have more time on their hands to do that stuff, cause no one will put up with their mood swings.

Jake123

Banned
If it helps, I have no artistic talent at all. lol. Anything that has to do with fine motor movements I'm liable to screw up, like handwriting (my teachers would compare it to hieroglyphics) drawing (it's damn hard to draw when you practically have Parkinson's in your hands) and surgery (god help whatever patient goes under the knife with me as their doctor)
I'm good at things like typing at 120 WPM and playing piano, though, but that doesn't really count.

Walk

I remember in my philosophy class we studied one or two philosophers who thought art was a waste of space and thought that art makes us stupid because it exposes us to second-hand distortions of reality, which takes us away from the real truth of life. I was thinking "Remind me never to be in that person's presence" lol

Aristotle I think. I also got a negative knee jerk reaction response to those beliefs, but at the end of the day, they help you re-evaluate your beliefs and thereby can strengthen what you already believe.

But yes, artists can be a ****ed up bunch, so can authors. Not sure why. Maybe it's the wild imagination turning against them.

Harleyq

Aristotle I think. I also got a negative knee jerk reaction response to those beliefs, but at the end of the day, they help you re-evaluate your beliefs and thereby can strengthen what you already believe.

But yes, artists can be a ****ed up bunch, so can authors. Not sure why. Maybe it's the wild imagination turning against them.

I think it was a different philosopher. Aristotle was a supporter of art, particularly theater - he's the one who came up with the ideas of catharsis. Maybe Plato? Although he had a love/hate thing about art so I want to say there's an even later philosopher who absolutely abhorred it..bah, I don't remember....

philly2bits

I used to write stories a few years ago. I can say first hand that being depressed did have something to do with it. When I was depressed I felt the need to write stories or do something creative. It's kind of strange since at that time I didn't feel like doing much. It wasn't even a need so much as to get my feelings on paper, since from what I remember my stories didn't have a depressing theme. I find it very strange though that when the depression left, so did the urge to write anymore.

Noca

Banned
I'm somewhat artistic. I used to design houses for fun. I was going to go into architecture but my math skills sucked.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Well.. many artistic people create their art by venting and expressing their emotions, most of them probably were depressed/suicidal/etc before starting anything art related. Maybe those issues "help" them somewhat to be more creative. Also, from what i've seen, troubled people tend to be smarter, more mature and maybe more empathetic than "normal" people, which might help that creativity. Maybe being mentally ill is not completely bad. I don't mean it's good, but if we look at the possitive side, we might learn a lot of stuff from these problems...

I am an artist too, and i create crap thanks to my mood and all the weird thoughts going around in my mind. I don't think i would be able to create anything otherwise. In part, i'm thankful that i'm so messed up :D In other thoughts, it would be nice to feel less overwhelmed sometimes... I guess everything has a price, In this case, being what i am and how i am costed my sanity and happiness, and maybe my life someday. Oh well... -talking crap-

Don't worry, we won't leave you :D At least i won't.

AimeeSP

You guys can't leave me

Hmmm, most the people i know who have depression and are artistic find it therapeutic to let there emotions out through the paintbrush/drawing pencil. So in a way that kinda makes sense to me :(. I tend to find i work better and create more meaningful drawings when i'm feeling low than when i'm in an 'okay mood'.

Last edited:

doesit

statistics is bullshit :) because its always based on 10-100 people and then they say all population is based on the same numbers,its pure crap if someone asks me.

Phil_i

I think it makes sense that there's a link between being creative and being depressed... Maybe because people who are feeling really intense emotions will often need to express them somehow.

I dunno, I'd rather be twenty times more likely to kill myself than never be creative :)

I'm good at things like typing at 120 WPM and playing piano, though, but that doesn't really count.

Piano counts!

Jake123

Banned
I think it makes sense that there's a link between being creative and being depressed... Maybe because people who are feeling really intense emotions will often need to express them somehow.

I dunno, I'd rather be twenty times more likely to kill myself than never be creative :)

Piano counts!

I just replay shit I learn though, I couldn't make anything if my life depended on it. It's about as creative as re-typing a textbook into microsoft word :p
Doesn't count at all.