Most days in a row for not leaving the house?

xSleepy

Dude! I can't even remember! I know I'll probably go out for the 4th of July though with my mom and her husband (both of whom i dont like that much) and my grandparents (who ive missed greatly) soooo I guess it will be ok... hopefully.

U

Unregistered1

I have left my house 2 times in the past 3 1/2 years.... Once because I lost my house in foreclosure and had to move and the second when my grandpa died... I have essentially given up on trying to get better!

hoddesdon

An interesting sidelight to this is that serotonin, which medication like Lexapro prevents from leaving the brain, since deficiency in it can cause things like social phobia, is stimulated by sunlight and exercise. So remaining indoors creates a vicious cycle.

Last edited:

Meowza

Nearly two weeks... probably would have been longer, but I live on my own and I gotta eat :/

Meowza

An interesting sidelight to this is that serotonin, which medication like Lexapro prevents from leaving the brain, since deficiency in it can cause things like social phobia, is stimulated by light and exercise. So remaining indoors creates a vicious cycle.
I try to exercise indoors as often as possible, it helps a little but I keep forgetting lol

EscapeArtist

Hmmm I'd say around... 1 month. But there was a gap where I didn't go outside for 3-4ish months, except a few times for groceries

Minty

Couple months? Maybe. I dunno. When I was in high school and middle school, I went through an agoraphobic phase where I wouldn't leave the house during the summer breaks. Wouldn't even go to get the mail.

If you mean going outside at all, I would say a month or two.

Going to places like stores...much longer...I never kept count and it all seems like a blur but I would say close to a year.

My mental, and physical health suffered and continue to suffer from this.

I hate not being able to go to the dentist or doctor without it being a damn near impossible feat.

On a more positive note, I try to go outside everyday to look around and check my catnip plant.

I <3 my cat ^_^

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Hey cool, another cat person.
I used to have a cat from Switzerland, but he died a few years ago. I sure miss him. I've got to get another pet one of these days. I love animals, but damnit wouldnt you know they cost money.

Yes We Can

Well these days I would say probably a weekend or a 3 day weekend at most, because I'm pretty much out of the house everyday now. When my struggles with agoraphobia was at its worst, I could count the number of days I left the house (on one hand ) in a given year. This went on for a good number of years.
Thankfully I was able to finally begin moving forward about 4 1/2 years ago. Even now I have to stay vigilant and not allow myself to stay in the house more than a few days at a time for fear that my agoraphobia will return with a vengeance.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
4-5 days I guess. I don't really notice when it happens. And then some day I wake up and realize I have to go get some food.

Forgotten-Children

Are we talking about the inside or the property? Because I have an outside cat who I had to feed until he ran off. >:

I could say multiple weeks, but I don't know the exact amount. They reason why is because, I have video games to keep me entertained plus the phone to call my boyfriend. I don't have to go out and by food because I live with my parents still. I would only go outside to look for places which are highering in town because I have a large debt to pay because I just couldn't handle college PLUS I gotta pay for my 5-day stay at the psyche ward because I no longer have insurance because I'm an adult now. My parents' insurance doesn't cover me anymore. :/

madmike

Being depressed is no fun. Feeling like a loser is a pretty bad way to live. Maybe this is why you feel so depressed and anxious(?). One tip though - don't measure your life by what you have, where you've been, or what you've done. None of these things really make up who you are inside. Get to know yourself for who you are, maybe you'll find out a thing or two.

I agree, the experiences you have in life will help to teach you a few things about yourself, but it's nothing you can't learn without them if you really want to. I recommend meditation, spiritual books (Eckhart Tolle is a personal favourite, also check out The Prophet by Khalil Gibran if you're at all interested), these really helped to get me out of my rut. To be perfectly honest i don't know what i'd be doing if i wasn't at uni, i'd probably be in the same situation as you, but you do need to find yourself another job/work for a charity/do something to keep you occupied. And maybe if you spoke to your parents they'd be more supportive and encouraging of you. I actually think everyone suffers from social phobia, and they'll probably remember incidents where they struggled with it (maybe a presentation or something) and tell you how they got over it.

Smurfette

10 days and counting. I wish i had a friend to take me out of the house :cry: :cry:
maybe u could find out if any of the users on here live in ur area. It would be great to have support in ur same hometown. I wish that for myself anyway. I'm glad ur in therapy...hope that'll help.

I've gone 2 weeks without leaving home before. The only reason I left is because I had to go to school. It would have been longer. (Though I haven't been diagnosed with Agoraphobia)