Mortality/Your eventual death

Rawz

Note: as I mention below, I don't mean to offend anyone or cause anyone to become depressed by posting this. It's just something I want to share and read other people's opinions about.

Yep, I just did. I'm posting a depressing, scary topic.

So. Today I am very tired and very sore. Not long after I finished 16ozs of coffee a realization hit me hard: I am going to die. Let me explain.

90% of the time I am disconnected from reality to some extent. Life doesn't feel real, it feels like a dream. And apparently I don't feel non-existence as a real thing. It doesn't feel like it will ever happen. All I know (and all anyone knows, I think) is existence. Living. Consciousness. I mean sure, you go to sleep at night and know what it's like to not be conscious to some degree. But...you always wake up. It's only temporary. And when you awake you are the same as you were before you went to sleep. You have the same consciousness.

For me, sleep doesn't change how I feel about the unconsciousness of death. The permanence of it. It doesn't feel the same as sleep.

When I was a kid I used to worry a lot about dieing and going to hell. I would have that fear, the kind that you can feel in your entire body. The kind that takes everything else out of your mind and paralyzes you. Today I felt that. Twice.

I handled it better than I ever have before. It didn't ruin my day, although it did stick around to some degree. It didn't reduce me to a quivering, crying ball of fear. And that's because my thoughts and beliefs about death and life have changed, and my experience of being crippled by fear, and knowing that it does me no good at all, has shown me that it's useless to allow fear to control me.

I don't know what anyone here believes as far as religion/death/afterlife/etc. I don't mean to offend anyone. Currently I am leaning towards there being nothing after death: your consciousness ends, nothing else happens. But I just can't imagine/comprehend that. All I know is existing. It just feels like now that I have consciousness I can't lose it--I will always have it no matter what, in some form, even though I don't believe that. It's a feeling.

Being who I am. Having lived the life that I have so far of not having many or any friends, of having never gone to public school, of living so isolated from the world and experiencing so little, having so little fun with other people. Having social anxiety and lots of insecurities and worrying about how everything I say or do will affect other people, I feel that knowing that I will die one day--and not knowing for sure beyond any doubt with undeniable proof that there is more after death, that I will still live in some form, in some plane of existence and know that I am alive--the only way to live is to live life to the fullest. To travel. To experience things. To meet and connect with people. To be kind, loving, and make whatever little corner of the world I happen to be in at the time a better place for other people. I don't have any proof that one god or the other exists and that, that god's heaven exists, so I see no point in dedicating my time to trying to secure a place in a possible heaven.

If I am being honest, I have no idea what happens after death. I have no idea how I exist beyond knowing how I was born, etc. I have no idea what is out there in the universe beyond what has been discovered by scientists. I have no idea whether any religion/mythology/whatever the correct terms are, are correct or not. I just know that every living thing dies. It's physical form stops working. And I don't think any ideas about life after death have been proven beyond any doubt.

I have heard that chemicals are released when you die that can cause hallucinations/strong feelings/etc. I've read about near death experiences. About people experiencing things similar to an afterlife, sometimes supposedly exactly what is described in religions, when they almost died. Sometimes they are very positive and pleasant, sometimes they are very negative and horrifying. This is both comforting and worrying.

For one thing, this seems to indicate that, whether or not there is actually any kind of life after death, you could still experience something like that. Even if it's not real, in your last seconds of life, you could still believe and feel like you went to heaven and had a wonderful time. Then you die. You're gone.

But, it sounds like it's also possible that you could believe and feel like you went to some sort of hell and experience horrible pain. Then you die.

I'm going to assume that, if no afterlife exists, then what causes people to experience different near death experiences is their beliefs about afterlife(s)/religion(s)/etc and their beliefs and feelings about themselves. If this idea of mine is true, then that means what you believe about life, death, the world around you, and, most importantly, yourself, is incredibly important.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah I can totally relate to everything you said. I don't believe anything happens after death either, I just think we cease to exist, and sometimes that really freaks me out. In fact, it doesn't freak me out, it pisses me off.

About your second sentence in bold, I've made that same realization some years ago, and since then I'm pretty much obsessed with reaching my goals, and all the hours I have to waste working a not so useful job to pile money sometimes drives me insane. I also wish I was a warmer person, because I think there is something very rich that you can obtain - and spread - by being warm and open with people. But so far I can't.

About your last sentence in bold, very interesting, scary and annoying at the same time. I'm glad I don't believe in hell.

That scares and angers me, too. I agree nothing happens. Don't think I've completely accepted it yet. I support cryonics(freezing yourself) and things like that though, which make me feel a little better. And, I don't know too much about it, but I guess if the multiple universe theory is correct, there might always be a form of you alive.

Kiwong

I'm not sure that the idea of death scares me, and the possibility that that there is nothing afterward. What scares is the process of dying. It can be long, drawn out and painful, it doesn't discriminate the most wonderful people can die the most horrible deaths possible.

A few years I faced my mortality head on. I thought I was going to die. My life was so completely and utterly diminished by pain and ill health. The result of this was I realised how much I wanted to live, and I discovered how much I wanted to fight to survive. I had to fight a battle out of necessity, and it led to some dreams coming true for me.

I started to live, for the first time in my life. This crisis might've have been the best thing to ever happen to me. A wake up call.

Today I had to see a doctor about a blood test. It took me back to that time of ill health when I saw so many doctors. I realise now that I love this beautiful world, and I want to hang around, even with my anxiety. I want to live, I am starting to enjoy to even find some happiness.

I'm 51 now, and I am at an age where I begin to worry not so much about dying, but suffering illness and pain.

MikeyC

The thing about death is that it's one thing we'll never be able to understand. We don't know what will happen. We all have our individual beliefs but nobody actually knows.

I've had the same thoughts as you, too, and I've even questioned what makes me "me." It's a very existential thought that we can't comprehend.

theoutsider

I'm not sure that the idea of death scares me, and the possibility that that there is nothing afterward. What scares is the process of dying. It can be long, drawn out and painful, it doesn't discriminate the most wonderful people can die the most horrible deaths possible.

A few years I faced my mortality head on. I thought I was going to die. My life was so completely and utterly diminished by pain and ill health. The result of this was I realised how much I wanted to live, and I discovered how much I wanted to fight to survive. I had to fight a battle out of necessity, and it led to some dreams coming true for me.

I started to live, for the first time in my life. This crisis might've have been the best thing to ever happen to me. A wake up call.

Today I had to see a doctor about a blood test. It took me back to that time of ill health when I saw so many doctors. I realise now that I love this beautiful world, and I want to hang around, even with my anxiety. I want to live, I am starting to enjoy to even find some happiness.

I'm 51 now, and I am at an age where I begin to worry not so much about dying, but suffering illness and pain.

Very well stated, Kiwong. I also tend to fear more the pain of dying a slow death than actually dying. I too have come to appreciate life even with all its's negatives.

Nanita

I look forward to being dead. I don't mean this in a depressing very. I'm a little afraid of how I'm going to die, like if there will be pain. But I think a lot will be going on after death. It excites me to think about it. I know most of you blieve that death is the end. But I see this physical life is just a small part of what we are. And also I believe there will be many more psysical incarnations. Just my belief.

Silatuyok

Great post. Really all we can do is make our immediate space a better one, just for the sake of making life a little easier and more beautiful for everyone. There's really nothing more to it!

Hello Rawz,

First of all, I really liked your username. It's pretty.
I visited SPW today and the title of your topic really wanted me to click on it. And then I started reading and could really understand what you are writing.

Life is short, it is sad that we cannot do everything because of SA. I feel sorry that you can't go to public school, that you don't have many friends and everything else. *BIG HUG*

Speaking of death, I also have this thought that we might cease to exist. I really do not hope so, because I love life way too much. I want it to be forever. Because it's the most beautiful thing. It makes us experience this whole life.

Anyways I am messaging you because I never can discuss with anybody about death because I am afraid of talking to people about this and it's quite odd and confronting for people. So I thought maybe we can chat about it, I don't know if you are able to chat in any form. Do you have facebook messenger, whatsapp, line, skype or gmail talk? If so, I would love to talk to you. If you feel the same, that is.

I love discussing deep topics and I would love to talk to you about things that are bothering you.

Hello Rawz,

I visited SPW today and the title of your topic really wanted me to click on it. And then I started reading and could really understand what you are writing.

Life is short, it is sad that we cannot do everything because of SA. I feel sorry that you can't go to public school, that you don't have many friends and everything else. *BIG HUG*

Speaking of death, I also have this thought that we might cease to exist. I really do not hope so, because I love life way too much. I want it to be forever. Because it's the most beautiful thing. It makes us experience this whole life.

Anyways I am messaging you because I never can discuss with anybody about death because I am afraid of talking to people about this and it's quite odd and confronting for people. So I thought maybe we can chat about it, I don't know if you are able to chat in any form. Do you have facebook messenger, whatsapp, line, skype or gmail talk? If so, I would love to talk to you. If you feel the same, that is.

I love discussing deep topics and I would love to talk to you about things that are bothering you.

Anyways, NO people, it's not odd at all what you are experiencing. I think most of the people in the world are afraid of dying. Some people are afraid of ceasing to exist, some are afraid to live forever. Quite oddly. So every person has the fear in another form. So it's totally normal, it's the fear of the unknown. We just do not know. And....That's the mistery of life.

Hope you have a good life. Make the best of it.

Last edited:

Rawz

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I look forward to being dead. I don't mean this in a depressing very. I'm a little afraid of how I'm going to die, like if there will be pain. But I think a lot will be going on after death. It excites me to think about it. I know most of you blieve that death is the end. But I see this physical life is just a small part of what we are. And also I believe there will be many more psysical incarnations. Just my belief.

I hope you are right. I mean it seems like most people don't experience or learn that many things during their life. Especially when it comes to meditation and related spirituality. I'm certainly going to try to experience, learn, and try many different things and work towards the highest consciousness that I can get. But it would be great if there was more out there. A larger, longer, maybe infinite journey. Maybe a very long cycle of existence, infinitely repeating.

One thing though, any kind of life after death seems useless if you don't, 1: have a high enough consciousness to know that you are alive and who you are, and, 2: know who you used to be (if it's some kind of reincarnation), or if there is a way that you can gain that understanding (and preferably as young as possible). Just my thoughts and feelings.

Obviously since I am young (but old enough to become independent), I am ready and itching to go out into the world, to learn as much as I can, to continually practice things and get a higher awareness of myself and the world around me.

Hello Rawz,

Thanks. :)

Sure, that sounds cool. I'll PM you my Skype. If you have a preference, let me know (although Facebook won't happen sorry).

Hope you have a good life. Make the best of it.

Thanks. I hope the same for you too and everyone alive. I will certainly try to make the best of it.

MikeyC

The world changes so much that it's sometimes unfortunate we only get a 70-90 year snapshot of it.

At this stage, I do want to live, but I'm not scared of death. While I feel better now about things than I've pretty much ever have in the past, I have also lived a life of depression which has staled my adolescence, so I'm not afraid of dying anymore.

Rawz: Do you believe you'll achieve what you're after in life? The higher state of consciousness, as you put it?

Rawz

Rawz: Do you believe you'll achieve what you're after in life? The higher state of consciousness, as you put it?

Unfortunately I don't think I it believe very deeply, strongly, and emotionally, which is very important. Right now I'm basically trying to brainwash myself. I'm trying to change almost every belief (almost every belief I have about myself is negative) I have about myself and my life. No more, "I can't" only "I can, I will". As I said though, these beliefs need to become deep and strong; I need to feel these emotionally and in my body. These have to cause me to imagine positive things without me consciously doing it. These have to cause positive dreams. Etc.

I do know though that I am much more aware of my thoughts and beliefs, of what goes on in my mind, of what emotions different thoughts and beliefs cause, of what triggers what, of what I want most in life now than when I was 19, let alone 16, 14, etc. And very recently I have had moments of real connection with reality, that hasn't happened in long time.

I am doing things every day that will help me achieve this. I write/journal sometimes, I meditate almost every day, I read articles and posts and take in new information, I keep getting more and more books (I haven't been reading enough though), I've been going to therapy for at least 2 years now. I am exposing myself to a lot of new ideas and am getting a good enough understanding of things I've been previously exposed to that I can easily take them from inside my brain, onto paper. Or on here (the internet). Or talk about them with my therapist. Etc.

And I am confident (very confident) that once I become independent and have a space where I let everything out, and have friends in real life I can get support from, that I will get better. That might be the solution I am after. That's about the only thing that is missing at this point.

onehandclapping

this thought petrified me as a child. I thought that if life was consciousness then what was death? where does consciousness go? I couldn't understand what non existence felt like or the possibility of not thinking and I was scared because I was on a slow timer to being in this state. even in sleep we think and dream but in death there is no brain activity, there is nothing. I couldn't grasp the concept of nothing. to me it was like space, what was beyond the edge of the universe? or what happens at the end of time? what is beyond that? it was this whole area of the unknown that I really didn't like.

Odo

Banned
I would imagine that you gain a lot of perspective without your body to distract you. I think you probably feel a lot more connected to things.

Yggdrarox

I've dreamt of when I'll die since I was eight. I'm in an apartment as an old lady, an assisted living place. I have no friends, and hear nothing from my family. I live as I seemingly always have. I die of old age in bed just before dawn. Before I die, I reach my hand up, but it's not just my hand: every character I created from stories I wrote raises their hand too. I'm on a list for disability housing as I type this. Coincidence?

Taden

Like most people, including yourself, I have struggled with the idea of mortality. The idea that at any conceivable second, my vision will blacken, my thoughts will dim, and I'll fade away. Sometimes people try to make rational sense and try to use logic and reasoning to take the edge from their fears, and I certainly make no judgement on those that use religious/spiritual paths to lessen these fears; they are valid, human responses to what we deeply fear and cannot fully understand. From your post however, I will offer what I have personally found helpful as someone who does not have a particular 'faith' or spiritual path.

The experience of consciousness that we have is a wondrous thing. Yet, 'existing' and 'existence' are certainly nothing new. The matter and energy that your physical body is made up of, along with the evolutionary processes that have enacted upon the entropy of said matter and energy have existed since the beginning of what we now come to call the Universe. The processes and energies that have come together in this present form of 'you' has always existed in one sense or another, you are a part of the vast, wondrous universe that is unfirling around you. This consciousness we all experience awoke into the universe for a brief glimmer of time and one day we all close our eyes, whisked back into the entropy of the universe.

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
― Mark Twain

"Being dead will be no different from being unborn -- I shall be just as I was in the time of William the Conqueror or the dinosaurs or the trilobites. There is nothing to fear in that."
― Richard Dawkins

Rawz

Is this life real? Or is it a dream? What is "real"? How could it be "fake"? Would it only be fake if it was a simulation created by humans?

Is any two peoples realtie's the same? Is there only the physical matter responsible for existence or is there some kind of mind or soul or being in another plane of existence, connected to our bodies, giving us our conscousness? Whatever it is that gives our consciousness, our existence, our realties, I think it may be more powerful than I ever used to believe. I think with enough years of hard enough work, any realtie...or perception of realtie is possible. Maybe the only "gods" in existence, is what gives us our existence. Our brains and/or minds, souls, whatever. Maybe, if the body is capable, anything is possible.

Ever since I hit ****rty, I have had these mental problems that I now have. I don't remember having any problems when I was a kid other than incredible ignorance and obliviousness. But I had a poor education, poor parenting, and I was sheltered from the world.

Ever since ****rty I have had a disconnect from reality to some extent. Not some kind of third-person experience/out of body experience. Not depersonalization, I don't think. I am within my body. I am me. But I feel disconnect from reality, from the world, from what is supposed to be very real, solid. Nothing smells real, feels real, looks real, sounds real. My senses are dull. This could all be from poor sleep, which I do have, and as it gets worse, my disconnect gets worse. I can't remember anything scientific and logical that I've read about sleep deprevation effects like this.

Strangely this disconnect feels real. My memory and cogintion is even worse then usual right now, so I am having trouble remembering, but I feel like as good as my cognition and sleep was in January (better than I have ever experienced, I think), there was still a slight disconnect. What is this...

Edit: What, I can't even use filtered words in the adult section? Rubbish.

this thought petrified me as a child. I thought that if life was consciousness then what was death? where does consciousness go? I couldn't understand what non existence felt like or the possibility of not thinking and I was scared because I was on a slow timer to being in this state. even in sleep we think and dream but in death there is no brain activity, there is nothing. I couldn't grasp the concept of nothing. to me it was like space, what was beyond the edge of the universe? or what happens at the end of time? what is beyond that? it was this whole area of the unknown that I really didn't like.

I would imagine that you gain a lot of perspective without your body to distract you. I think you probably feel a lot more connected to things.

My take on it:
As Odo implied, upon death we just lose our "body" (which includes conscious mind, as this is "housed" in a certain part of the brain, and the brain dies when we die). I also expect the subconscious mind to die as well, as that's also situated in the brain (but who knows for sure whether it does or not, or to what extent).

So in summary:
life (birth) = consciousness + body/drives/senses/..
death = consciousness (ie "pure consciousness")

Lilly789

Ive never been scared of death - I don't think anything happens, we just turn off. Not sure how someone can be scared of that when we won't even know about it.
And if I'm wrong and there is something? well that sounds like a bit of an adventure.

I am a little worried about the pain involved in death, and even worse, being "saved" during a suicide attempts and being a vegetable until I die properly, being unable to do anything about it.

but the main thing I worry about is my immediate family. They would be messed up for good. Not necessarily because they care for me, but its a good excuse for attention and "woe is me, look at what Im going through" syndrome. I'm not sure that's any better or worse than caring for me and the fact that I'm no longer there.