Is it okay for a 24-year-old guy to date an 18-year-old girl?

Newtype

Okay, I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. I just wanna know what people think about this, hear different opinions. I don't actually plan on acting based on what people say.

I turned 24 yesterday and for the past year, I've been back in school. The people there are 18-19 year olds. Life in school has been pretty much the same every day. There are girls everywhere but I feel like I'm not allowed to talk to them or be interested in them, so I stay alone in my corner and never talk to anyone. It's pretty lonely. Nobody knows my age of course, I try to keep it a secret.

Sometimes I wanna talk to a girl, start something with her, but then I tell myself: "No, it's not right, she's too young". But then I wonder if doing that makes me miss out on life. Also, lately there's a girl sitting next to me in class and she's really nice to me. I don't actually think she has a crush on me or anything, but I'm always worried that she might find out my age and think differently of me. So, to keep that happening, I avoid getting into conversations with her, or anyone else.

Have I been doing the right thing?

I dont see a problem with that age difference. At 18 people are considered to be adults and 24 is pretty much in the same age group

Last edited:
I don't think there is a problem with an age gap of 6 years.
If your intentions are sincere, and your not wanting to take advantage of anyone younger, then there should not be a problem imo.

Okay Go

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The few people I have ever liked were about 24 years old when I was 17/18. I don't think it's weird at all.

U

userremoved

Go for it. Just make sure she's a mature 18 year old. A lot of the ones I deal with still act like children.

Keep your mind, always.
Age is nothing but a number. A numbering system we have attached meaning to. No, that doesn't mean go nuts.

Beatmetrics

Just like everyone else said. Just go for it! I dated two older men when I was in my teens. When I was 18 I dated someone who was 24 for like 3 months and at 19 dated someone who was 33 and had two beautiful daughters (actually now thinking about his daughters and miss what we had). That one lasted longer so it's not like there isn't any prosperity in those relationships either, cause there is.

Last edited:
Re: Okay Go

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The few people I have ever liked were about 24 years old when I was 17/18. I don't think it's weird at all.

Oh when I first read that I thought you said 24 years older. I was gonna say, that might be a problem.

Anyway newtype, I dated a 19 year old when I was 26. It didn't work out because she was more mature than me. It just depends on who's who.
Bottom line, you should go for it. But don't lie about your age, you need to be up front about that.

MsBuzzkillington

What kind of school are you going to? Are you SURE they are that young? I recently started going back to school and I was worried that everyone was going to be a lot younger but I've come to find out that most of the people in my classes are only a couple years younger than me, the same age or older and I am 26.

18 isn't really that young compared to 24, you shouldn't worry about the number if you guys get along well. Also, a lot of girls kind of like the older man, so you're definitely in the clear. Go for it.

thor01

The number is meaningless to me. What matters is how you feel. The feeling of not being able to do this or that becuase your a few years older is all social construct. And I agree to this is the same age range anyway.

Im gonna borrow your thread, and ask a similar question, is it wrong for a 19yr old to date a 15 year old even if there is no sexual relationship? I think yes, but am curious of others opions.

Im gonna borrow your thread, and ask a similar question, is it wrong for a 19yr old to date a 15 year old even if there is no sexual relationship? I think yes, but am curious of others opions.

If there's no sex, I'd say it's ok too.
My first "real relationship" started when I was 18 and she was 15, I stayed with her for 2 years and there was no sex.
I learned a lot from her, and we had a great time while it lasted.

cosmosis

My first real relationship was close to that age and age gap. It wasn't a problem at all because I wasn't expereinced with relationships and still felt younger then my age. We were very close in our thoughts and mindset, it didn't even feel like I was older at all.

nikkixo

i don't see anything wrong with it. my friend is 19 and her boyfriend is 29. age is just a number

kristina303

I don't see anything wrong with it. Like everyone else is saying age is just a number. I actually have a thing for older guys, and I'm sure some of the girls at your school do too.

ShyChild

I don't think it is, but it depends on the individuals. My parents (who've been married 25 years now) are 23 years apart. Yeah it sounds a little wow, but their dynamic works.

Waybuloo

It's no problem but some people will always be judgmental when there's nothing wrong with it. Make friends with whoever you like and if you want to take it further, reveal your age and just ask a general question about whether you think people in that school would go out with you given your age, and see what the girl thinks.

AGR

I don't really agree with the "age is just a number" cliche, because it's obviously not.

Its only a number depending on peoples agenda.
morals change, before our time people married younger and etc,but right now, if they are over 18 I dont see any problem.