Is it okay for a 24-year-old guy to date an 18-year-old girl?

coyote

All i can say is that when i'm in my 30s there is no way i would get involved with an 18 year old.

Just this morning I had a group of women tell me they thought I was in my late 20's.

As long as she's over 18, how old of a woman does that permit me to, um... "date"?

U

userremoved

I still think the most important thing is the maturity factor here. The reason I say this again because I'm 28 and I recently got into some drama with and 18 year old girl at my college. I was just trying to find out what was going on at campus party wise on the weekend and my lab partner suggested I ask this girl whats going on because shes always out partying. Well she took me asking her where the party was as me hitting on her. Next thing I know a mysterious guy called me from a private number accusing me of trying to take advantage of young girls and said I was too old to be trying to hang out with them. Regardless of me trying to defend myself he kept saying I just wanted to get her drunk and molest her or something. Needless to say I was pissed and I still am. So watch yourself with teenagers is all I can say.

LazyHermitCrab

It's alright.. just 18 years old are usually not really mature, trusting, etc. 19 is pretty much the same, maybe a little better. They don't really take relationships serious but more as dramatic serious if you know what i mean. Youre the best judge though :D I just meant overall as a group. It just takes one.. just seems rare though. Good luck ;)

Quelqu'un

I think it's no problem at all if you're actually looking for a relationship and not taking advantage of anyone. Make sure her maturity level matches yours though.

You never know, you may find someone special. For instance, my parents got married when my mom was 16 and dad was 24 (she was pregnant with yours truly), and I think she might have been 14 when they met. I know it's a bit weird, but you know what, they've been married for 26 years now, so you never know...

coyote

Okay, I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. I just wanna know what people think about this, hear different opinions. I don't actually plan on acting based on what people say.

I turned 24 yesterday and for the past year, I've been back in school. The people there are 18-19 year olds. Life in school has been pretty much the same every day. There are girls everywhere but I feel like I'm not allowed to talk to them or be interested in them, so I stay alone in my corner and never talk to anyone. It's pretty lonely. Nobody knows my age of course, I try to keep it a secret.

Sometimes I wanna talk to a girl, start something with her, but then I tell myself: "No, it's not right, she's too young". But then I wonder if doing that makes me miss out on life. Also, lately there's a girl sitting next to me in class and she's really nice to me. I don't actually think she has a crush on me or anything, but I'm always worried that she might find out my age and think differently of me. So, to keep that happening, I avoid getting into conversations with her, or anyone else.

Have I been doing the right thing?

i went into the Marines right after high school, so i was 24 when i started to college/university - while most everyone else was 18-ish

it was impossible not to be attracted to some of the girls in my classes - and they seemed to be attracted to me as well

but i had a hard time relating to them outside of class on anything other than a purely physical level

i'd already been around the world and seen and done things that many people never experience in a lifetime, and been directly responsible for the lives of my friends and the deaths of my enemies - so it was hard to find things in common with the kids who had only just left their hometown for the first time, and had never been responsible for anything other than cleaning their room

it's not all about the age difference - it's also about the difference in maturity and your ability to relate to one another

Last edited:

Newtype

lol. I have a bit of experience here because I've had this kind of age gap in last two relationships (both were with "college-aged" girls). My take on it is this: the age gap DOES matter in this case because you're talking about people who can't even legally drink yet. The inability to legally drink isn't significant (although technically if you supply them with alcohol, you can get arrested lol), but what I'm saying is that most people that young haven't really experienced what the real world has to offer, and in that sense they're still growing and learning. In general I think most women under the age of 25 just don't have any clue what they want in a partner. They might think they do, but in all likelihood they'll change their minds. I knew this before going into my last two relationships, but I ignored those feelings because I thought the women I was dealing with were so mature. They were, but maturity really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Well, the legal age to drink and purchase alcohol where I live is 18, but I don't drink alcohol anyway. And yeah, I know that there's a risk with going out with girls younger than 23 because it's true that they're still searching themselves. I say 23 because that's the age where I personally "woke up". As for experiencing the world, well I haven't been experiencing much myself due to SA, lol.

U

userremoved

Ok why did us Americans get stuck with the high drinking age requirement? :confused:

Newtype

i went into the Marines right after high school, so i was 24 when i started to college/university - while most everyone else was 18-ish

it was impossible not to be attracted to some of the girls in my classes - and they seemed to be attracted to me as well

but i had a hard time relating to them outside of class on anything other than a purely physical level

i'd already been around the world and seen and done things that many people never experience in a lifetime, and been directly responsible for the lives of my friends and the deaths of my enemies - so it was hard to find things in common with the kids who had only just left their hometown for the first time, and had never been responsible for anything other than cleaning their room

it's not all about the age difference - it's also about the difference in maturity and your ability to relate to one another

That's quite interesting Coyote. I wonder, did you already have SA before enlisting or is it something that you got after you came back from wherever you fought? Like a side-effect or something.

coyote

That's quite interesting Coyote. I wonder, did you already have SA before enlisting or is it something that you got after you came back from wherever you fought? Like a side-effect or something.

i've been pretty socially anxious my whole life

Prestonator

I personally think that it is those few years when you are at school that people seem to think it is only right to go out with someone the same age as you. But why should we just have to go out with someone our own age, there is no law saying that we should!!! We can do whatever we want. Maybe an age difference of 20+ years would be slightly wierd, but a difference of 5 years......what's wrong with that?!

And well about you telling people - I think maybe you should only tell the people you know you can trust and feel most comfortable around. At the end of the day, age shouldn't matter. Caring for someone, who maybe younger than you is not wrong. I disagree with the way this is put into the minds of people. How they might see it as being paedophilic. In my opinion this is not right.

Hastings & Main

Great by me.
I get a share of attention from women around their early 20's. I just wonder what the reaction would be if I told them I was twice their age. (I always picture screaming and running away)
Everyone has their own perceptions of age-relations, but having SA makes me automatically think most people find the "May-December" relationships unnatural or taboo.
Wish I could shake that; evidence of the opposite is all around me, plus there's this woman in the neighborhood that I have a mild crush on who is about 22 or so and is with a guy who's older than me...