Internet Addiction

jaim38

I can't go offline because I take online classes and must check blackboard everyday. I also must check email and do other important stuff online. Many times I find myself dilly-dallying instead of doing schoolwork like i was supposed to. Internet forums can be addictive.

razzle dazzle rose

My computer is my best friend. Well, it does connect me to others :)

Been using it since 2001. Been addicted since. No way I can disconnect now. There have been periods I didn't have internet access at home: TORTURE. Yes, like drug withdrawals. Happened last month. Although disconnecting the internet at home may be the only way to not use it as much. Unfortunately for me, I use it to generate income. It does have a lot of positive uses. The best thing though is that I don't have internet access on my cell phone. I would be on it all the time. I just don't know what people do for entertainment. When they are home anyway.

springk

As embarrassing as it is to talk about, I really feel like I need to get a handle on my compulsive internet use. I've tried many different methods of quitting or reducing my usage, but I keep falling back into bad habits. It's really starting to become a problem. My house is a mess, and I can't even remember the last time I cooked a complete meal. I struggle to get normal household chores done. I'm going to have to wash the same load of laundry for a third time today because it has been sitting in the washer for a week and I keep leaving it in until it gets musty and needs to be washed again. Lately I've been staying up late to chat online, then I don't get enough sleep and end up getting in late to work and feeling like a zombie. I neglect my bf when he is home, and get irritated if he tries to hang around when I am online. I don't even hear half the things he says to me anymore, then he looks sad if he has to repeat something he already said to me.

The worst part of it is, the more I use the internet, the more empty and unsatisfied I feel. If I can't find someone to talk to or a discussion to partake in, I start browsing through Yahoo article comments, or looking at photos of people I don't even know on Facebook. These are completely useless things that I don't even want to be doing, but for some reason I just feel the need to be doing them. I have a million things I want to accomplish and experience in my offline life, but instead I am staring at a screen for hours a day, neglecting everything else. I haven't even picked up a book to read in several days, and even then it was only because I made myself get off the internet and do something else.

I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to quit the internet altogether because there are a lot of good uses for it. I just wish I could manage to limit myself to something reasonable. Even just one hour a day would be a vast improvement (though that still sounds like a lot to me). I haven't been able to find any of those internet blocker programs that will work for a Mac. I've seriously considered selling my laptop, but I use it for too many other things for that to be worthwhile. For a couple of months I was able to limit myself by not using my internet at home, but it got to be such a chore to have to go out somewhere just to check my bank statement, etc.

If anyone has any good suggestions, let me know.

Marie
This is exactly what i am suffering from right now.
I check so much online sites that i dont even use. Staring at random profiles etc..hoping to find a friend online.
If i go on narrating my woes it will take a whole lot of time .
But you ask for suggestion and that is something i need too.

My endeavour is to stop the huge amount of time i spent online.
I guess find the reason why you have this impulse to remain glued to net.

Me its..well lack of people around me to talk to .
My anxiety depression that pushes me to relieve my anxiety by refraining from action.

It will help if you identify why you want to remain attached to internet.
Once you know that. Set aside a time to check out sites you like to visit. Force yourself to stop when that time span is over.

I also find chatting a huge time consumer.
So avoid that.
Use emails instead.

Even though i m sayin all this ..i know how difficult is internet addiction.
You are a creative person ..use your hobby.
Good luck

gustavofring

It's funny that so many of you mention being addicted to Facebook. Being Social phobics.

I find Facebook a bit too painful so I just mostly avoid it. Ever since slipping into depression about 2 years ago, I've not really had the urge to share my life with others. Can't bother to chime in anymore, now that I feel better. I fear having to answer questions of people like "what have you been up to" on my wall where everyone can see. I feel invaded in my privacy to be honest when that happens.

I do however visit a lot of sites, and react on them, anonymously. This sucks up too much time and it's still a bit problematic, but not as much as before.

Last edited:

springk

This is a true statement a little hard to digest that people are inclined to what they are made for, yes honey, its true your internet love is what you were made for, don't run from it or it will attract you more, take it positively, I'd rather say you should use it as much as you can and eventually you'll notice that your interest in it is depleting and your internet love will be in your control as you'd get your best friend in the form of your internet connection..I've tried it and took control over it, get internet on your cell phone, get a tablet with wifi connectivity, stick to your laptop or just spend the most satisfactory time in front of your pc until and unless you finally get tired and bored of it completely...try it and never suppress the urge to use it just take it as a healthy challenge...good luck...

Well i didnt read the pages before posting.
So i missed this point of view .

Its entire opposite to what i posted but i see this can also be a way out.
Like i dont watch tv much cos i m bored with it.
What if i can do the same with internet.
Still i fear that it will take my entire life to get bored with internet as its kind of limitless..there is always something interesting that one can find on internet.
It will not work at least for me.

gazelle

This is a good point. I haven't yet quite figured out why I am so attracted to being online, even when I'm not doing anything that I find fun or interesting. I don't feel bad when I'm offline, but the allure of having validation at my fingertips whenever I want it is too tempting. It's like the things I do in life don't matter unless I let everyone know about it. I'm just wondering why I feel like I need that validation in the first place.

I think we all need validation. I just found this which talks about self-validation, a new idea to me
Self-Validation - How to Validate Yourself

Interesting point made here. I too find myself struggling with internet addiction at times, and now that I look back it's always either been when I was away from society, either at times that I felt like my social needs weren't being met in the social environments I was in, or either when I wasn't busy being focused on a goal that satisfied me .Now that I think of it, resorting to the internet in order to attain validation seems to be the exact root of all of this.

PseudoLoneWolf

I have a desire to save myself from this internet addiction but so far no good. Last night I have pushed turn-off button on my pc while thinking about it, with an instant decision. A big silence and feeling of emptiness I felt. Like a substance addict.

As long as you do not change your life style or find something that takes its place, you will eventually return to your old habit. Another point is to be careful about switching from one addiction to another. Even working out can become an addiction. The solution is to find and change the reason you get addicted to things.

MikeyC

I hate how I can't even go through a nice dinner out without taking my cell phone out at some point to quickly check my email and facebook.
This annoys the faecal matter out of me! I hate having lunch or something with a friend or whoever, only for them to be checking their phone mid-sentence. I feel uninteresting when that happens. It's not good and I don't recommend you keep doing it (even if it is mostly involuntary and subconscious).

I do feel a little better about it at the moment, however. Turned my laptop off for four hours, picked up around the house, did all the dishes, two loads of laundry, cooked dinner, and I finished the book I've been reading. :) I'll just have to be better about forcing myself to get offline and stay offline for several hours at a time. I know I have the willpower, it's just a matter of putting it into action.
Great start! :applause: If you force yourself to get off the Internet and do what needs to be done, you'll find that, once you get going with your errands, it's a lot easier to stay offline. I often times now keep the laptop closed and watch an episode of something or read my book, or go for a walk. If you keep doing this, you'll break your addiction (or, at least, your constant need for the online world). :thumbup:

I used to be a WoW addict and other games that are either fun or reward-based.

Even when it's boring, it feels like you must keep doing it. That's such a terrible feeling.
Those games are designed to keep you playing. They keep dangling that carrot in front of you, that if you upgrade your characters to such a level, you'll get this or that bonus, and if you explore this area, you'll get some inventory, or if you pay actual money, you'll get upgrades you couldn't get before. Anything and everything to keep you playing and keep you on the computer. I have stayed far away from games like that out of pure fear that I will get addicted - and I don't need any more frivolous things to take up my time!

I like how you "used" to be a World of Warcraft addict. Great to hear you've broken free from those shackles. :perfect:

CursedSoul

Banned
Well i didnt read the pages before posting.
So i missed this point of view .

Its entire opposite to what i posted but i see this can also be a way out.
Like i dont watch tv much cos i m bored with it.
What if i can do the same with internet.
Still i fear that it will take my entire life to get bored with internet as its kind of limitless..there is always something interesting that one can find on internet.
It will not work at least for me.

The OP is running in her mid 30s as I read in a thread which is matured enough to reckon the good and the bad and I don't think so that she will fail this challenge, I guess she should atleast give it a try!

Ithior

There's actually been a challenge like this held before on the forum by EscapeArtist http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/10-day-computer-tv-free-challenge-49252/page-3/#post698515 I think the circumstance were reasonable... no checking involved though. The fact that you know others are also participating in this can be a good motivator.

I guess we could all try to start at the same time or something like that. Just typing on a forum that I'll be doing the challenge isn't going to motivate me much since it still feels like I'm doing it alone. I would either give up soon or maybe avoid posting here but keep browsing the rest of the internet.

gazelle

Alright decision made!... I'm going on a challenge and announcing it publicly here via this thread! The duration is going to be two weeks in which I can only check and reply my e-mails and do things that involve real life activities on the internet.
-No aimless browsing
-No chatting
-No logging in forums
According to my time today is the 8th of March. The challenge is going to last until the 22 nd. Anyone else?

springk

The OP is running in her mid 30s as I read in a thread which is matured enough to reckon the good and the bad and I don't think so that she will fail this challenge, I guess she should atleast give it a try!

I m not saying that she can't try!

gazelle

I guess we could all try to start at the same time or something like that. Just typing on a forum that I'll be doing the challenge isn't going to motivate me much since it still feels like I'm doing it alone. I would either give up soon or maybe avoid posting here but keep browsing the rest of the internet.

Sure.I'll be back on the 22nd and if you'd like I'll ask you how the challenge went.Though you'll have to make a plan for yourself to come up with activities that you will have to do instead of going on the computer since boredom is worse I suppose.

Scrobes

I am embarassed to admit I am in a similar position to you Marie. I think my circumstances are a bit different though (no gf, no friends, no real hobbies), so my PC has become a bit of replacement for everything in my life. I can recognise that, but I guess I'm reluctant to change (and not sure if I even want to). I don't really know what I could suggest.

I suppose the idea of slowly introducing more reasons to actually not use it. I think the idea of just forcing yourself not to, while possible, might be quite tough (maybe like the idea of going cold turkey with smoking, as opposed to chewing gum for example, which helps to occupy your mouth and your mind - the act of chewing). So the idea of having reasons to do *other* things would help keep you occupied until a behavioural habit would set in and you'd likely just end up doing other things because you're *used* to doing other things. Imagine putting weights on a scale. One side is weighted right to the bottom, if you keep adding little incremental weights to the other side, they slowly even up. I think the idea of having a total disconnect from it in one go is not very fair to you either. You don't need to not use the net at all. Just find the right balance. :)

It might help to try and identify what keeps you on there too. I know that if I were lucky enough to have a gf, I would have reason to not use my pc or net for stuff, as (hopefully) I'd want to do stuff with her. Maybe pay a bit more attention to your guy and be interested in his thoughts and activities. :> It sounds like you managed to keep yourself occupied with a few chores and reading, so that seems cool. Maybe it's just a case of trying to maintain that. :)

Sorry if it sounds like I am preaching or something, that's not intentional. ;o In the end, you are free to do what you want. :)

Ithior

Alright decision made!... I'm going on a challenge and announcing it publicly here via this thread! The duration is going to be two weeks in which I can only check and reply my e-mails and do things that involve real life activities on the internet.
-No aimless browsing
-No chatting
-No logging in forums
According to my time today is the 8th of March. The challenge is going to last until the 22 nd. Anyone else?

I wasn't planning on starting today but I guess that's just my AvPD manifesting.
I will avoid doing the things that you mentioned and also play video games. I will only use the computer for university related matters and watching my usual TV series (can't really watch them on TV). I will visit facebook once or twice a day because my friends usually make plans there and sometimes it's also university related. If there's no notification regarding that I'll just close the browser.

I'm going to set the hours at which I can watch my TV shows so I don't waste time on the internet while waiting for them to come out. I'll choose an inconvenient hour (like before dinner) so I don't stay on the computer the rest of the afternoon.

Ithior

Sure.I'll be back on the 22nd and if you'd like I'll ask you how the challenge went.Though you'll have to make a plan for yourself to come up with activities that you will have to do instead of going on the computer since boredom is worse I suppose.

I was going to make a schedule that limited my time on the computer a few weeks ago (I even made a thread about it), but I didn't follow through at the time. I'll find something to do. I already have some studying delayed and there are some other things that I should/want to do but I've been putting off for no particular reason.