Internet Addiction

Silatuyok

As embarrassing as it is to talk about, I really feel like I need to get a handle on my compulsive internet use. I've tried many different methods of quitting or reducing my usage, but I keep falling back into bad habits. It's really starting to become a problem. My house is a mess, and I can't even remember the last time I cooked a complete meal. I struggle to get normal household chores done. I'm going to have to wash the same load of laundry for a third time today because it has been sitting in the washer for a week and I keep leaving it in until it gets musty and needs to be washed again. Lately I've been staying up late to chat online, then I don't get enough sleep and end up getting in late to work and feeling like a zombie. I neglect my bf when he is home, and get irritated if he tries to hang around when I am online. I don't even hear half the things he says to me anymore, then he looks sad if he has to repeat something he already said to me.

The worst part of it is, the more I use the internet, the more empty and unsatisfied I feel. If I can't find someone to talk to or a discussion to partake in, I start browsing through Yahoo article comments, or looking at photos of people I don't even know on Facebook. These are completely useless things that I don't even want to be doing, but for some reason I just feel the need to be doing them. I have a million things I want to accomplish and experience in my offline life, but instead I am staring at a screen for hours a day, neglecting everything else. I haven't even picked up a book to read in several days, and even then it was only because I made myself get off the internet and do something else.

I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to quit the internet altogether because there are a lot of good uses for it. I just wish I could manage to limit myself to something reasonable. Even just one hour a day would be a vast improvement (though that still sounds like a lot to me). I haven't been able to find any of those internet blocker programs that will work for a Mac. I've seriously considered selling my laptop, but I use it for too many other things for that to be worthwhile. For a couple of months I was able to limit myself by not using my internet at home, but it got to be such a chore to have to go out somewhere just to check my bank statement, etc.

If anyone has any good suggestions, let me know.

Heh, sounds like me. Except it's been less of a problem since I started working again. But on my days off, it's hard to motivate myself to do the important stuff on my list when this shiny, shiny computer keeps singing its siren call...

We had our wireless off for about a month last year, and in that time I was forced to find other things to do. I was so productive, my goodness. After we got it back, I slowly fell back into my old habits.

What browser do you have? I have Firefox and I like the Leechblock add-on. It has an option where you can block a site for a certain time period, and the only way to get on it (if you so choose) is to enter a REALLY long random characters passcode. You can even choose the length, up to something like 100 characters I think. I did that once... it was sooooo annoying, but very effective in keeping me off the site.

That is, of course, unless you have more than one browser... then you have to get an add-on for that one, too, haha. I had that problem once, too; when I had sites blocked on Firefox I used Opera :eek:mg:

Maybe we should sign up for an Internet addiction treatment center together :D

Ithior

I thought I had an internet addiction some time ago, but it turned out to be a manifestation of AvPD (I didn't know it existed at the time).

Do you work a lot on the computer?
I have realised I find it really hard to leave the computer after I turn it on. So when I have things to do, I delay turning the PC on (even if it's just to check the mail or something) until I'm done with what I have to do. I find it easier to stop myself from turning it on than to get myself to turn it off when it's time to work.

Silatuyok

I thought I had an internet addiction some time ago, but it turned out to be a manifestation of AvPD (I didn't know it existed at the time).

Do you work a lot on the computer?
I have realised I find it really hard to leave the computer after I turn it on. So when I have things to do, I delay turning the PC on (even if it's just to check the mail or something) until I'm done with what I have to do. I find it easier to stop myself from turning it on than to get myself to turn it off when it's time to work.

No, thank goodness, my work has nothing to do with computers. I also don't have a smart phone, or else I would probably get nothing done at work because I'm not supervised and I'd be looking at it all the time.
I very very rarely turn off my laptop. I just have to open it and I'm online. It's too easy. I should try getting into the habit of turning it off every time I close it. Then I won't be as tempted so sit around and wait for everything to load every time I want to hop online.

Silatuyok

What browser do you have? I have Firefox and I like the Leechblock add-on. It has an option where you can block a site for a certain time period, and the only way to get on it (if you so choose) is to enter a REALLY long random characters passcode. You can even choose the length, up to something like 100 characters I think. I did that once... it was sooooo annoying, but very effective in keeping me off the site.

That is, of course, unless you have more than one browser... then you have to get an add-on for that one, too, haha. I had that problem once, too; when I had sites blocked on Firefox I used Opera :eek:mg:

Maybe we should sign up for an Internet addiction treatment center together :D

I have at least two different browsers, firefox being one of them. I will have to look into that Leechblock thing, that could come in handy.

An internet addiction treatment center would be awesome, but I'm pretty sure I would just slip back into the groove soon after I got out!

this_portrait

An internet addiction treatment center would be awesome, but I'm pretty sure I would just slip back into the groove soon after I got out!

I wouldn't be surprised if new treatment programs start becoming popular, because from what I've seen, addiction to the internet (and in particular Facebook and other social networking sites) seems to be on the rise. Some people who try to take a break have even had withdrawal symptoms similar to a drug user trying to quit their addictions.

As for what you could do, I would suggest maybe having your service shut off for a bit, but I'm not sure if that would be the best thing to do, especially if others living with you use it as well.

Another option is this: I had some friends in junior high/high school whose parents set controls on the internet whenever they logged on, and it would give them only so much time online before they would be kicked off. You can start off with a large amount of time and then gradually decrease it as the days go by. There's a tutorial on how to do it for Mac here: How to Set Parental Controls on Mac OS X - Yoursphere for Parents - Helping Families Live Healthy Digital Lives : Yoursphere for Parents – Helping Families Live Healthy Digital Lives

Now that I think about it, I wonder if I should do that to myself. Maybe then I'd get some more important sh*t done.

I hope it helps!

coyote

sadly, i don't have any advice - i have a huge problem with this myself

(as my post count here might suggest)

CursedSoul

Banned
This is a true statement a little hard to digest that people are inclined to what they are made for, yes honey, its true your internet love is what you were made for, don't run from it or it will attract you more, take it positively, I'd rather say you should use it as much as you can and eventually you'll notice that your interest in it is depleting and your internet love will be in your control as you'd get your best friend in the form of your internet connection..I've tried it and took control over it, get internet on your cell phone, get a tablet with wifi connectivity, stick to your laptop or just spend the most satisfactory time in front of your pc until and unless you finally get tired and bored of it completely...try it and never suppress the urge to use it just take it as a healthy challenge...good luck...

Last edited:

Kiwong

I have a similar issue with the internet. I have some really wonderful plans and projects, but I never get anywhere with them, because I spend hours on the internet instead. I always keep saying I will get onto these plans, but I never do, I continue to put them off and use the internet instead.

My unit is falling apart, I'm often late into work, I keep on letting myself down by visiting sites I am not proud of. It seems to be the only way I can communicate with the world, but sometimes I do it too openly.

paperie

Have you tried using a timer? Might sound dumb, but it's easy to just let hours slide by sometimes without realizing it.....at least with a timer it might motivate you more to log off once you realize how much time has passed.

ImNotMyIllness

GUILTY HERE TOO! I had to quite Facebook as a result of it! I was online until 3-4am. And, I felt the constant need to have interaction. I was always checking my wall or inbox for messages, checking other people's walls for updates-I couldn't stop!
Now, that I quite Facebook, I'm on SPW most of the time (LOL!). At least here, I'm receiving more of a benefit but it's still a problem and I'm still going to bed at 3am.

I think the only way (for people like us) to use the internet responsibly is to have to go outside to use it and not have it in the house. Yes, it would be a hassle and a chore but it ends up being a bigger hassle with having 24/7 access to it.
I'm too much of an addict to quite now but my financial situation may force me too. That might end up being a blessing in disguise. I really need to get on a healthier sleep schedule.

ImNotMyIllness

Have you tried using a timer? Might sound dumb, but it's easy to just let hours slide by sometimes without realizing it.....at least with a timer it might motivate you more to log off once you realize how much time has passed.

I need one that blows up! I don't think I would survive long though. I even ignore my alarm clock. <Hits Snooze>

paperie

I think everyone has this problem though, it's the information age. I hate how I can't even go through a nice dinner out without taking my cell phone out at some point to quickly check my email and facebook. I think I'm going to challenge myself to go an entire weekend with no computer access or cell. It's a start, curious to see how much I can get done without it :p

The worst part of it is, the more I use the internet, the more empty and unsatisfied I feel. If I can't find someone to talk to or a discussion to partake in, I start browsing through Yahoo article comments, or looking at photos of people I don't even know on Facebook. These are completely useless things that I don't even want to be doing, but for some reason I just feel the need to be doing them.

I think that step one is to recognise the thoughts and emotions at play - are you avoiding feelings in offline world, are you hoping to experience feelings that you've found online before - that sort of thing :]

Silatuyok

I have tried using a timer. I tried using a stopwatch also, to keep track of how much time I spent online over the course of a few months. I've tried only using the internet every other day. By far the most effective method I've found is just disconnecting from my home internet. But it's so inconvenient, and I would be missing out on interacting with my online friends, which is pretty important to me.

I do feel a little better about it at the moment, however. Turned my laptop off for four hours, picked up around the house, did all the dishes, two loads of laundry, cooked dinner, and I finished the book I've been reading. :) I'll just have to be better about forcing myself to get offline and stay offline for several hours at a time. I know I have the willpower, it's just a matter of putting it into action.

Silatuyok

I think that step one is to recognise the thoughts and emotions at play - are you avoiding feelings in offline world, are you hoping to experience feelings that you've found online before - that sort of thing :]

This is a good point. I haven't yet quite figured out why I am so attracted to being online, even when I'm not doing anything that I find fun or interesting. I don't feel bad when I'm offline, but the allure of having validation at my fingertips whenever I want it is too tempting. It's like the things I do in life don't matter unless I let everyone know about it. I'm just wondering why I feel like I need that validation in the first place.

ImNotMyIllness

This is a good point. I haven't yet quite figured out why I am so attracted to being online, even when I'm not doing anything that I find fun or interesting. I don't feel bad when I'm offline, but the allure of having validation at my fingertips whenever I want it is too tempting. It's like the things I do in life don't matter unless I let everyone know about it. I'm just wondering why I feel like I need that validation in the first place.

It's like the question, does a tree make a sound if no one hears it. I think that's why sites like Facebook is so addicting. We feel compelled to tell everyone what we did to make the actual experience feel more real-weird!!

It also gives you instant feedback. We're kind of like rats in a cage pressing a lever to get our pellet. lol

A Many Splendored Thing

I used to be a WoW addict and other games that are either fun or reward-based.

Even when it's boring, it feels like you must keep doing it. That's such a terrible feeling.

When you're browsing through nonsense(or killing that orc for the 87gazillionth time), you might as well tell yourself you are bored and leave it. It's much easier to tear the bandaid off quick then to slowly peel it away.

I can't even get into games like WoW anymore now that I'm off of it. I do surf forums a lot though because I have quite a few I can switch between.

I think we all need validation. I just found this which talks about self-validation, a new idea to me
Self-Validation - How to Validate Yourself