I hate the way I look in pictures!

FriendlyShadow

::(: I don't really have a problem the way I look in a mirror as I look, I guess average in it( I'm not sure if it really resembles the way I look on camera but) whenever someone takes a picture of me I always look fat(even though I'm pretty thin and healthy), can't smile right cause it's so ugly and i don't know how to explain it but whenever I do smile my eyes look a bit smaller and weird and my cheeks look a bit chubby and it makes me look old(funny cause my dad said i look younger than my actual age), bad hair(some of my pictures of my hair make it look like I'm a guy under a wig), even though when I curl and clean(I have straight hair BTW) it's still bad, bad teeth, just bad everything! I don't understand it. Whenever I see my family in photos, they look better looking and have beautiful looking smiles than I do. Gosh, now when i think about this, the next time a person wants to take a picture of me, i just want to my hands in front of my face as a shield. Now, very few pictures I can tolerate of me, but this is ridiculous. One time my sister took a picture of me(I had my hair parted to the right and had some streaks in it along with make up and i had braces at the time) and I looked like a freaking alien!:eek: One of my eyes was bigger than the others, my smile was just hideous to look at, ugh! When I first looked at that picture, i actually wanted to cry because of how terrible I look. And to make it worse, she posted it on face book. In fact, she posts everyone of my ugly looking photos on there. People always tell me I look fine and I'm not ugly, but I just can't believe it. Even my younger younger photos of me were at least more attractive in a cute way. Gosh, I don't know why i can't smile right either. Whenever I don't smile and photos make me look like I'm feeling uncomfortable, I'm ugly, and even when I do really smile, I'm still ugly.::(: I think it's because of my stupid face shape, even i posted in another thread why I hate my face shape. Even celebrities who I mentioned who look like me in another post are better looking than me! I might post a picture of me sometime soon on here so that you guys can get a better sense of what I look like. Anyways, I did see one photo that my sister took of me at a baby shower, and I thought, hey this isn't a bad looking picture. It's like more quality in it or something and at least it wasn't as butt ugly as my other stupid pictures are. I mean is it the cameras that are unaccurate or is the mirror lying?

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

Yes. Destroy all cameras.

Ahh... as part of my career (in the past-- not now) I did practice for years and learn how to look okay in photographs.
I still hate how I look no matter what but there are things you can do to look good if you're not one of those people who are gifted photogenically.

Posture is important; relaxed shoulders, extended neck.
A natural smile is good if you can do it-- think happy thoughts!
For girls-- there is different makeup for looking good in pictures; as some makeup will reflect the light differently or make your skin look wet or greasy.

Remember, celebrities have professional hair and makeup, photoshopping and ect. on ALL of their pictures. Even photos they sell to paparazzi can be photoshopped to look better than they did originally.
Camera settings, lighting, flash, surroundings, angle all contribute to how you look in a photo.
All you can do is practice, smile, remember the good times rather than focusing on how you look in that split second.

Kat

Your truth about yourself is most important. You probably don’t look half as bad as you may think you do but I think a person can look different to every individual as well. Photos are good to have even if it’s just for memory sake. I have thrown out a few photos there’s years of my life where I don’t exist in a photo my mum’s a bit mad about that and she is wanting professional shots done of the entire family.

Roman Legion

I refuse to let people take pictures of me, I am afraid of it, but on occasion I take pictures myself, but that does not frighten me. My platoon wanted to take a group picture and they must have thought I was crazy because I would not get in it. Agreed above, destroy all cameras!

Srijita52

I've an uneasy time smiling too while someone's taking a picture. It always makes me anxious. It never helps that I've awful teeth ugh.

Nathália

I think a lot of people have uneven eyes or they squint during a picture. Somethings are just uneven. No one can tell my eyes are uneven off a photo, it's just like breast or whatever else the human body may have a slightly different shape than the other, but you barley notice.

It's not fair to compare yourself to a celebrity. They look good because they have the dinheiro$ to fix themselves up, they high tech make up and all of that.

I'm starting to embrace my face shape, it looks unique from every angle. I'm so guilty of snapping pictures until I get the right angle of my face. I look fine in the mirror, just like you stated but my photos come out funny, so I have to adjust my face............................I don't like when I can't because I'm afraid of looking funny. I run away from cameras without my hand behind it.

Last edited:

Roman Legion

I think a lot of people have uneven eyes or they squint during a picture. Somethings are just uneven. No one can tell my eyes are uneven off a photo, it's just like breast or whatever else the human body may have a slightly different shape than the other, but you barley notice.

It's not fair to compare yourself to a celebrity. They look good because they have the dinheiro$ to fix themselves up, they high tech make up and all of that.

I'm starting to embrace my face shape, it looks unique from every angle. I'm so guilty of snapping pictures until I get the right angle of my face. I look fine in the mirror, just like you stated but my photos come out funny, so I have to adjust my face............................I don't like when I can't because I'm afraid of looking funny. I run away from cameras without my hand behind it.

I think my nose is bigger from the side view and I have an odd head shape..

GhastlyCC

I'm not a fan of picture of myself either.
None really exist from the point of when I was around 14 till now.lol
I would always skip picture day at school.
Chose not to be in family photo's.
And Ive even gone so far as to get into my friends youtube account where he had a video that showed me for a couple of seconds.
Downloaded it.Edited myself out.And re uploaded it.:D
Most of the very few pictures of me online I'm wearing a mask of some sort that covers most of my face.And heavily edited.
I've posted more of my actual face here than anywhere else on the net.
People that have "known" me for YEARS though various sites and I consider really good friends...have no clue what I look like.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

I bet you are judging yourself too harshly... Really. I do it too... I have the same thing, though. I look in a mirror and I look... OH-KAY. I hate my mouth, and I am carrying 20 extra pounds, but hey I can go out after looking in a mirror, but NOT at a picture or film. That will leave me wanting to run away and hide in an abandoned cave for a good month in self hatred... Ugh. I rememebr once in my job-finding class, we had to rewatch fake interviews o ourselves. They let me fast forward, but even that was enough to make me depressed for a whole month, enough to change suddenly back into the old no-words-outta-my-mouth-self.... Yet some people see beauty in me apparently... People see you in a better light than you see yourself, that is very reasurring, I promise you. people can find you beautiful

Waybuloo

::(: I don't really have a problem the way I look in a mirror as I look, I guess average in it( I'm not sure if it really resembles the way I look on camera but) whenever someone takes a picture of me I always look fat(even though I'm pretty thin and healthy), can't smile right cause it's so ugly and i don't know how to explain it but whenever I do smile my eyes look a bit smaller and weird and my cheeks look a bit chubby and it makes me look old(funny cause my dad said i look younger than my actual age), bad hair(some of my pictures of my hair make it look like I'm a guy under a wig), even though when I curl and clean(I have straight hair BTW) it's still bad, bad teeth, just bad everything! I don't understand it. Whenever I see my family in photos, they look better looking and have beautiful looking smiles than I do. Gosh, now when i think about this, the next time a person wants to take a picture of me, i just want to my hands in front of my face as a shield. Now, very few pictures I can tolerate of me, but this is ridiculous. One time my sister took a picture of me(I had my hair parted to the right and had some streaks in it along with make up and i had braces at the time) and I looked like a freaking alien!:eek: One of my eyes was bigger than the others, my smile was just hideous to look at, ugh! When I first looked at that picture, i actually wanted to cry because of how terrible I look. And to make it worse, she posted it on face book. In fact, she posts everyone of my ugly looking photos on there. People always tell me I look fine and I'm not ugly, but I just can't believe it. Even my younger younger photos of me were at least more attractive in a cute way. Gosh, I don't know why i can't smile right either. Whenever I don't smile and photos make me look like I'm feeling uncomfortable, I'm ugly, and even when I do really smile, I'm still ugly.::(: I think it's because of my stupid face shape, even i posted in another thread why I hate my face shape. Even celebrities who I mentioned who look like me in another post are better looking than me! I might post a picture of me sometime soon on here so that you guys can get a better sense of what I look like. Anyways, I did see one photo that my sister took of me at a baby shower, and I thought, hey this isn't a bad looking picture. It's like more quality in it or something and at least it wasn't as butt ugly as my other stupid pictures are. I mean is it the cameras that are unaccurate or is the mirror lying?

I feel the same way about how I turn out in photos. Back when I was younger with a chubbier face, I looked really worse. Some people do a bit of the myspace angle - tilting your face down, looking up with starry eyes, smile but not show your teeth. That sort of helps with making your eyes appear bigger and make you look more dainty. I'm not saying you need it, for me the best way to pose is to be natural and beaming with happiness, but if you really want to look different then you might like to try it. I also look way nicer in mirrors lol. I sometimes look fatter than I am too when I am slim and some would consider me thin. They do say cameras put on 10 pounds. I'd like to think that looking better in real life is good because then I exceed peoples expectations after seeing a photograph, well if you are only talking about appearances.

Aletheia

I think part of the reason I'm unphotogenic is because I know I'm unphotogenic so I tense up whenever there is a camera within a mile of me. And of course, tensing up makes me look crap in photographs.

Sounds like you may have something of the same issue.

YellowBird

i have the same thing,but i don't know if it's my bdd messing with me and the pictures look just fine.however,i can bring a bunch of pictures here,put them side by side and you'll think i'm a completely different person.i never let people take my pictures,(not that i have so many friends that want to take my picture:p),i mostly take my own picture from the webcam,the only one i like,or my dads expensive cell phone,but still you can't control the side you are taking it from.i've thought my face shape is just incredibly non photogenic too,i've got chubby cheeks,square face,basically no jaw at all,so i think that doesn't work for photos,someone must have very symmetric bone structure or something.

Newtype

I never take pictures of myself because I look totally like another person on a picture. I look like a drug addict on pictures. It's like I'm possessed by a demon.

Rembrandt Broam

I'm the same way about mirrors and photographs. I don't mind seeing my reflection in a mirror, but I loathe seeing myself in photographs. Maybe it's because we're not used to seeing an unreversed image of ourselves that many of us don't like how we look in photos.

Eristelle

For some reason I look far more uglier in pictures. The mirror doesn't look as horrendous, but still. I hate both. Pictures are worse though. I usually refuse taking pictures with anyone because I fear ill break the camera.

razzle dazzle rose

I have always felt awkward having my picture taken. I don't know what to do. I either smile too big or don't smile at all, or I do like the awkward half smile. These days I just don't show any teeth at all (though I went through the hassle and expense of getting braces just so I could smile showing my teeth). I also don't like having other people see me when I am posing for the camera. Like maybe they are saying Look how terrible that girl looks and she is trying so hard. Ugh. I prefer taking pictures with my cell; I have to take like thirty of them to come across an acceptable one of course, and even then I still feel like I look like an alien. I wish I were more photogenic, then I would have one less thing to worry about.

twiggle

I hate the way I look in photos. 9 times out of 10 I look terrible and in the ones where I don't its because my face is small.
I get pointed and laughed at in photos wayyyyy too many times for my liking. It's always, 'look at Twiggle LOL'. I know they don't mean to be mean and are just doing it in jest but...

Maybe one day somebody will take a nice photo of me. One where I don't look like a dead emu.