I Don't Want To Take Off My Shirt

BamanPiderman

:blushing:

For some reason I always thought you were female... sorry. You are an awfully supportive and understanding person around here - which is really cool.
I am a female. By bits I mean the upper lady bits, since it was my top that fell down. ;) Still, that's a surprising observation, I didn't think anyone had taken notice of me yet, being a new member.

Thanks for the suggestions. I sometimes try to do little exercises but I never seem to get the motivational ball rolling enough to make it a routine. Though I have lost 3 kilos in the last 6 weeks, so that's something.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am a female. By bits I mean the upper lady bits, since it was my top that fell down. ;) Still, that's a surprising observation, I didn't think anyone had taken notice of me yet, being a new member.

Thanks for the suggestions. I sometimes try to do little exercises but I never seem to get the motivational ball rolling enough to make it a routine. Though I have lost 3 kilos in the last 6 weeks, so that's something.

Damned avatars and usernames - always so ambiguous. I have been mistaken for a female too - although I am PRETTY sure everyone now knows I am male...

Anyway - the key to exercise is consistency. Gotta do it regularly otherwise nothing will happen... but for sure - good on you - that is great to hear...

Kiwong

I really don't like the swimming pool either. When I have gone, it seems to me that there people all shapes and sizes there, not many are super fit looking.

Ithior

I'm not from the UK but I felt like sharing this.

I've been trying to go to the swimming pool in my gym but I never went there. I just have too many problems with it.

I'm not really ashamed of my body since when I go to the gym I wear a shirt and you can see how skinny I am by that, so taking my shirt off won't show anything surprising.

But I haven't swam in years. I used to have swimming classes with my sister every Saturday many years ago, for a couple of years, and we never really learned how to swim. Some years later I used to go every now and then to a swimming pool with my sister and cousin, but I always stayed in the part where I could touch the bottom and still have my head outside the water.
I could swim underwater just fine, but I was never able to float, swim backwards, or breathe while swimming. When it was time to get the head out of the water I would either breathe too early or too late.

Another problem is that I don't remember how things go inside the pool. Do I take a towel with me or do I leave it in the locker room? I know it sounds really silly but I don't really remember what I used to do with it. I think I used to leave it at the locker room but that's when I went to swimming pools only. Now the swimming pool is in a gym so walking around all wet in the locker room doesn't feel right.

The last problem is that there are often classes for kids or seniors there, so there's not much space left to swim. If someone decides to go for a swim during those classes there's probably no space left for another person.

So even though I really want to swim, I keep avoiding doing so.

jaim38

It's also been a long time since I've stepped near a body of water apart from a bathtub. Not a pool, or a beach (yes, even in the hot Australian summer!). The last time I actually submerged myself in water from head to toe was in a swimming class for PE. When we were practicing dives, the force pushed my top down, leaving my bits hanging out there. I had my eyes closed, so I didn't see if anyone else saw, but there's a pretty good chance someone did and it kills me thinking about it.

That's my worst nightmare. If I ever do go swimming again, I will not wear a bikini, but then I will probably look out of place because all the women will be wearing bikinis.

PGT

Most people will not be looking at you with no shirt on and thinking bad things. They will be saying good on ya for trying to keep fit and loose weight. Anyone who wants to change their appearance through exercise gets my respect because I know how hard it is.
Good luck hope you keep at it.

ImNotMyIllness

Most people will not be looking at you with no shirt on and thinking bad things. They will be saying good on ya for trying to keep fit and loose weight. Anyone who wants to change their appearance through exercise gets my respect because I know how hard it is.
Good luck hope you keep at it.

You're right! No one is looking at me anyway. Everyone is too busy doing their own thing. It's my neurotic thinking that sometimes gets the best of me. I've gone swimming a few times since and plan on continuing!

cowboyup

I just got back. I swam for twenty minutes. Boy, am I out of shape! But, it felt really good! As I was swimming, I was thinking that all of my happiest moments and successes in life included doing something that made me very uncomfortable at first.

I didn't wear a shirt. I'm not going to let negative self-talk stop me from bettering myself. I feel proud. I'm getting back in shape and I'm taking a college course. :)

Good for You! :bigsmile:

I was going to say, you could wear a shirt - like one of those close fitting ones you can get at a sporting goods store (or even Target). I went swimming this past summer, and instead of wearing the traditional girl's swim suit, I chose to cover up completely - biker shorts and an exercise shirt I bought at Target in their exercise wear dept. lol...I probably looked like a fool, but at least I was comfortable.

cowboyup

You're right! No one is looking at me anyway. Everyone is too busy doing their own thing. It's my neurotic thinking that sometimes gets the best of me. I've gone swimming a few times since and plan on continuing!

It's true, everyone is busy doing their own thing - and they are NOT looking at you. People now a days are too self centered to be thinking of anyone else other than themselves, lol

JohnnAY

I came here to post about trying out compression shirts or rash guards when swimming, I see a lot of people doing that. But it seems like you don't need it. Great job man, you have more courage than me!

Kiwong

If you would like to run, see a physiotherapist or podiatrist to find out what is causing your knee pain, and get it fixed. Common knee pain problems can be biomechanically related and are often easily fixed.

Also you don't have to take off your shirt at a gym to use exercise machines. Wear a tech shirt, or a singlet.

Last edited:
I want to get back into swimming, but I also have a problem I am a big girl and can't stand the idea of going anywhere in a costume, I think the problem started at school when people would laugh at me in pe when we went swimming so I used to say I couldn't go swimming and would run away to the park or to another classroom. I think it also stems from when I was wearing my swimming costume at the beach and a group of my friends said I looked like a beached whale, I never let it go and made up some fear in my head, but I love being in the water and swimming underwater, its just the idea of going in a costume....I can't deal with it

Are bath robes allowed? Maybe you could take one so that when you're out of the water you could cover yourself up. Until you're comfortable enough to not wear it, of course. And when you're in the water, I doubt people really look or care.

And besides, people shouldn't judge someone being out of shape when they're WORKING OUT and trying to become more healthy. That is silly.

MollyBeGood

You will be fine in no time! I love to swim wish I had access to a pool even though, same here, pasty and not too fine atm haha :p Fuk em and swim.