how does your depression feel metaphorically

defiance

it feels like you are in a room that is constantly closing in on you. No room to move or to do anything other than just sit there and be miserable. It is a lot like the movie groundhogs day where you are living the same thing over and over. :(

It feels like I'm stuck in the middle of the ocean during a storm. With each passing wave, the turbulent sea violently hurls my body against rocks. In between waves, as I lie there bloodied and broken, I see a light in the distance. It beckons and teases me - consumes my thoughts. If I could just try harder and push myself to get over there then maybe I can repose in something other than pain and sadness, but real happiness.

Even when I fight as hard as I can for a day to bask in it's glow and even if I'm able to touch it - it's always fleeting and I am pulled back in by the current. Every. Single. Time.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I sit on top of the mountain, looking down on the world.
On my throne of rock and ice I sit, feeling the black inside me.
My heart is under attack, a black sucking vortex has leeched all happiness from within.
Yet the vortex continues to drain. Any wisp of lighter emotion is drained instantly.

So I sit, contemplating the world.
I look down upon the nations, wondering what hope there is for mankind.
I look at the different cultures, races and individuals and I don't see much to hope for.
Children are born innocent, yet are quickly shaped into those before them as they grow.
Full of ignorance, hatred, and fear. We are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.
Man, woman and child will suffer and once again become fodder for the war machine.

I sit on the mountain. I look down. I feel despair for the innocents.
Despair for the innocent ones who will once again have to endure, or become oil for the war machine.

I sit upon my throne of age old stone and ice, wishing I was a God.
My vengeance would be just, swift and terrible. Not to attain mortal prayer and admiration, but to right the wrongs and to erase the filth from the earth.

PugofCrydee

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window and I can't see at all
And even if I could it'll all be gray, but your picture on my wall
It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.

PugofCrydee

I think I'm still trying to figure this crap out
Thought I had it mapped out but I guess I didn't, this ****ing black cloud
Still follows me around but it's time to exorcise these demons
These mother****ers are doing jumping jacks now!

TheNomad

It feels like an uncorporeal giant rotor blade is in the right core of me and spinning at various speeds and slashing and bleeding me internally. It also disrupts my meanings and my points of views in life, makes it so i have no foundation on anything, and worse that having a foundation is impossible for anyone because we can not be sure of anything.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Like The Shawshank Redemption... Except with more tunneling through shit and no f**kin' redemption.

CastleRose

It feels as though I've washed up on a deserted island. The sand and trees are black or various shades of dark grey. The sky is grey, as are the ocean waves lapping at the shore. There's a misty fog lingering over the island for as far as I can see, clouding my vision beyond the island. I know there is no way off the island and I also know there is nothing that will ever show up to lift the gloom. I am to sit here for the rest of my life, simply existing and watching the waves as life passes me by.

PugofCrydee

It's like my mindset is the ocean. Things are ok but then the tide turns.
There's nothing I can do about it because it envelops me. I can't fight the tide it's impossible..

So I go with it, knowing the tide will eventually turn back again..

Or in a pic, like this

giphy.gif

Last edited:

PeterO

Like lying on a bed with a big weight covering my entire torso. It's painful but can be oddly comforting, too -- like it's protecting me.

grapevine

It feels like a big cement fence stopping me from allowing things in my life that would make me happy. A fence that takes so much energy to lift and so hard to remain open.

hidwell

My depression feels like an hermetically sealed coffin, suffocating and weirdly comforting at the same time.

lily

it feels like your down and your heart sinks and there's sth empty in your stomach

cappatown420

Sometimes I think I actually died from my suicide attempts and that I have to continue to live for punishment.

Like I died yet I am dreaming I am still alive... I'm kind of over it now but when I first discovered what I did to myself I was scared that I wasn't really alive and that I have to continue to live out my miserable existence.

F0AM

life_passing_by_by_ballota.jpg

Life is the train and i'm that man. Sometimes i feel like life keeps going on while i'm stuck, and sometimes it's soo fast that is hard to jump inside.

I've been able to get inside and ride that train before, but there are potholes that make me fall off and i must start again. Tiresome but keep trying :/

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Sometimes I think I actually died from my suicide attempts and that I have to continue to live for punishment.

Like I died yet I am dreaming I am still alive... I'm kind of over it now but when I first discovered what I did to myself I was scared that I wasn't really alive and that I have to continue to live out my miserable existence.

I've actually felt the same way. This is going to sound odd maybe, but it's made me feel like we're all (or, at least I am) characters in a story, because the way my life has unfolded feels too unreal at times. Like there are things that I have survived from that I shouldn't have survived from, and it makes everything feel...scripted, I guess. Like there is some person sitting in their basement, writing a story with me as a central character, and that is what my life is.

Like I said, I know it's probably odd. I just know what it feels like to feel like you're not really alive, or at least not alive in the traditional sense.