How are you feeling?

Marc7

Aye, ah know... Still, it's difficult not to, especially with family.

I know it is difficult but you shouldn't think that way.

Well, since losing a bit of weight this year, the barrel chested description might not be 100% accurate now. But still quite a big lad, nonetheless.

What does barrel chested mean? I'm jealous you lost weight, I want to loose weight.

Oh, right... Sorry. :eek:h: No, no ma mum does think she's the smartest in the family. In fact, she always bemoans the fact I seem smarter than her.

Oh. Do you think she is the smartest family member?

No, the muscle spasms still occur. But they don't happen if I'm sitting down, like they used to, which is good. But they're more random now, tend to happen if I'm standing or walking for long periods.

So the surgery didn't help all the way?

Naw, naw, ah get what yer sayin'. And even if ye were calling me slow, I'd be more likely to admit to being that way than being offended. :bigsmile:

Oh okay.

:idontknow: It just felt like that. Mibbe that was just his attitude? Though, I never actually asked him directly. Or maybe he felt like I owed it to him to carrying on the family business. Since no-one else in the family seem to want it.

Your father's family business was the pharmacy?

Nah! Failed miserable, ah did. Due in part to my anxiety and depression, but mainly because I had huge pressure from my parents and teachers to do well. The stress got to me ye could say.

So you failed secondary school? Secondary school is grades what?

My dad visited me during the time he was around. But they were always random evening visits. Awkward as well, since I never knew how to relate to my dad. Maybe because I'd never fully appreciated the African side of my bi-racial heritage, y'know?

But he used to pester me to visit him and his family, which was just few miles away from where I live. So it wasn't the distance that kept me from visiting. More the fact, I've always felt like the black sheep of the family, inferior compared to my half-siblings - on both sides of the family.

So he did African things with you when he visited? So he had a wife at the time? Why do you feel your the black sheep of the family? Me too I feel like I'm the black sheep of my family.

Aye, pretty much. That, and constantly overhearing and putting up with the youngest of my older half-sisters arguing with her husband everytime they visit for Christmas or around my birthday. The shouting, swearing, slamming doors.

Ah know not all wimmin are a batshit-crazy or as domineering as ma mum and sisters. And ma mum's changed her tune now, but all the compliments and praise still doesnae change how ah feel. Why bother puttin' masel' through dating if the end result is I'm going to just like ma dad or uttely miserable?

So you think all women are like that? You should give it a shot you never know if it turns out to be positive.

Same here.

You shouldn't think your ugly. Btw I sent you chat messages and I don't know if you got them or you just didn't respond to them yet?

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Can't sleep. F**kin' déjà vu here, I was exactly the same way on January 5th afore getting my surgery done the next day. Nervous, jittery, overthinking. Dammit! :kickingmyself:

I know it'll be fine, I just don't want to get to emotionally overwhelmed. :crying: I haven't given myself a moment to reflect upon the past 11 months as far as how I feel looking back on it, y'know? :idontknow:

And I don't really know what I'll say... Since it's been a surreal, terrifying, darkly humorous, and overall life-changing experience. Though, not something I'm in a hurry to repeat anytime soon. :giggle:

Graeme1988

I sent you chat messages and I don't know if you got them or you just didn't respond to them yet?

Not responded yet as I'm not currently logged in here on my laptop. So can't access chat messages.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Sometimes, town makes me feel like a complete reject (women), an ugly freak, & a weirdo. My eyes, face, teeth all look weird, esp if i grin. That's why i will forever be a social outcast, no matter what i do. And that's why i must endure a life of endless boredom, dullness, tedium, loneliness, etc to the day i die. It's just me & alcohol & my comforts, nothing else. Might as well get used to it.

I wish self-esteem wasn't tied in with having a partner. Since i strongly doubt i'll ever get a girlfriend (or even a female friend) then my self-esteem will always be in the gutter?

Still feeling bad after town, so on 2nd can now. When i feel bad, i drink (otherwise i'll stay feeling bad; alcohol is the sole thing that can make me feel better when my mood is really down)

Last edited:

Graeme1988

I know it is difficult but you shouldn't think that way.

True, but it's hard not feel like people might be judging you negatively when they stare at you. Especially with my appearace - well, the right eyebrow piercing mainly. Plus, I never know whether or not it'd be awkward or rude of me to acknowledge the person - usually it's some girl - staring at me? Especially if I've clocked them looking at me then looking away, then sneeking a look at me. Which happened today, oddly enough.

What does barrel chested mean?

It just means that my chest is wider across, so sticks out more than if I were skinny. Because my rib bones are bigger. On the diagram below, I'd closer resemble the person on the right-hand side.

barrel_chest1349623083612.png

I'm jealous you lost weight, I want to loose weight.

Easier said than done. Mind you, it wus'nae exactly easy either, but in the process of getting ready for the surgery - all the medical test and what not - I felt I might as well lose a bit of weight. Plus, I'd be walking a bit more than I'd been previously. So didn't want to be completely knackered and outta breathe just walking a short distance, as was usually case for me prior to my surgery.

Oh. Do you think she is the smartest family member?

Used to when I was younger, but after I turned 18 I began realising she wasn't as smart as I thought. Don't really know who the smartest member of my family is? Probably a cousin that I used to admire and look up to and haven't spoke in over 10 years.

So the surgery didn't help all the way?

No, but my consultant and I knew this would be the case. Since we were essential fight against my cerebral palsy, in terms of correcting my walking and posture. It was never going "fix" my disability completely.

Your father's family business was the pharmacy?

Well, he was looking for it to be that. But none of his kids were interested in running it. I was the last of his kids that he tried to talk into running it.

So you failed secondary school? Secondary school is grades what?

Yep, you're right on both there. Secondary school is grades. But after the first 2 years of secondary, you get pick which subjects you'd like to study for the next couple years (from age 14 - 16), and how well ye do in those will determine whether staying in school until age 18 then going onto college will be worth it.

So he did African things with you when he visited?

No, I just mean if I had more of a connection to my African side of my mixed parentage, I'd huv had a better connect with ma dad and where he came from. Rather than being raised aroon Scottish folk aw ma life and feel more Scottish than taking equal pride in being bi-racial. Does that make sense?

Don't want to get to deep into identity and national pride here.

Not that I'm knowing it, but it would've been nice tae at least huv ma dad there. Since he would've probably helped me better cope with and deal with the racism I got throughout ma school years.

And made me a better person going into my teens, rather than constantly learning from experience all the time. Because my mum would just plead ignorance whenever I asked her a question or avoid the question entirely by changing the subject.

Plus ah wouldn't huv this one-sided view of ma dad as this awful person.

Also there was a "language barrier" to try and get past. Me with ma Scottish accent and being fluent in Scots and English, and ma dad speaking English in Kenyan accent.

So he had a wife at the time?

Aye, ma dad remarried after splitting from ma mum. Don't know if he got married multiple times, though. As far as the reason for huvin so many children.

Why do you feel your the black sheep of the family? Me too I feel like I'm the black sheep of my family.

Oh, just because ah never quite lived up to ma family's expectations. Did do as well at school, despite loving school when ah wus a wee lad, even though that was the start of the bullying the would persist with me well intae adulthood.

Ah never went to college or university, like ma sisters and cousins did. And because of my disability, ah feel like I'm just a burden to them at times.

So you think all women are like that? You should give it a shot you never know if it turns out to be positive.

No, I don't think all women are like my mum or half-sisters. Mainly just the ones who tend to repeatedly spout similar man-hating rhetoric. But no, not all women. Since not all of them behave or act like my mum or half-sisters.

I guess I just fear any potential relationships going badly. Since I've only got my mum's horrible past experiences and observating how my sisters are in their relationship to go on. And youngest of my 2 older sisters always ends up arguing about some mundane trival shite. And my oldest is to arrogant to admit when she's in the wrong, much like our mum at times. So the blame usually get placed upon me.

Not exactly example of normality are they, as far as relationships go?

Plus my relationship with ma mum has gone bad over the last 11 years. Due to my mum being very controllling and unwilling to see things from my perspective. So, it doesnae exactly bode well for me, really.

Since I've become more introverted and closed off thanks to my family treating me the way they do at times, and how they tend to be more judgemental towards me than I am of them. Even though, I only tend to criticise them when they become manipulative, or take away my right to decide what's best for me.

It also doesnae help that they have this perception of me as anti-social. When in truth, I feel like an outsider in my own family.

You shouldn't think your ugly.

Ah know, but being racial bullied most o' yer life will do that to ya. :sad:

Graeme1988

Well, whit a day it's been for me...

Had a huge sweary, head shaking argument with mum in front of my oldest sister. Don't know if ma sister taking my side, but she didnae yell at me for swearing, more outta frustration than anger. Over a hooded top, of all things… Urrrgh!!
But that soon went to the back of my mind during the car ride to the hospital. And...

Bucking Yass!! Get it up ye! It's not even a year since ma surgery, and ma final 6-month check-up with ma consultant surgeon went brilliantly.
yes.gif

My right knee has healed nicely, and is completely straight now. Compared to 6 months ago when I was still in the middle of ma rehab and physiotherapy.

When asked about my walking distance now compared to previously, I kinda hesitated to answer. Since I couldn't gauge it. But my consultant was quite surprised to hear me and my sister had walked all the way from the front reception desk to the X-ray department. As it was quite a distance. That said, I wasn't as outta breath compared to the last time I trekked all the way there on just my crutches.

Though, that wasn't even the highlight for me... but this is probably the wrong tread to mention that. Needless to say it involves this t-shirt... :bigsmile:

s-l1600.jpg

Oh, and there wus some young lassie - probably around my age - eyeing me up from behind her smartphone as I sat opposite her in the waiting room. :shyness: Thankfully though, my sister didnae tease me about it - like she did the other day, there, with that chubby blonde-haired lassie who works at ma local Tesco supermarket.

Last edited:

defiance

I can't say anything new in these posts because there isn't anything new to say. It really is groundhogs day. It's the same pain and suffering day in and day out. It's the same realization that all efforts are futile. It's the same dread that when a new day comes, it does not bring the promise of new wonderful possibilities but rather the same misery from the day before and the day before that. That's my life I guess.:sad:

I can't say anything new in these posts because there isn't anything new to say. It really is groundhogs day. It's the same pain and suffering day in and day out. It's the same realization that all efforts are futile. It's the same dread that when a new day comes, it does not bring the promise of new wonderful possibilities but rather the same misery from the day before and the day before that. That's my life I guess.:sad:
Yep, i can definately relate to that :sad:

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Glad that, for once, ma oldest sister took ma side yesterday, when our mum showed just what a controlling bitch - sorry tae use that word - she is towards me. Makes a change from huvin the blinders on and makin' excuse for ma mum's behaviour like she used to.

And she finally saw just how much it hurts me, because ah wus nearly in tears as we drove to the hospital yesterday afternoon. :crying: But ma sister still doesnae realise that saying our mum means well in no way excuses the fact ma mum called an effin b@$%@^! for standing up for myself.

Cuz that's how ye treat yer only son, innit? :sad:

Ah just hope ma older sister, niece and brother-in-law stay outta ma way when they come up to visit this Christmas. Because ah can know I'm going to say summit ah actually mean if they piss me off. :veryangry:

Constantly huvin to comprise ma happiness to please a shower of dysfunctional c*nts who can't seem to accept me, no matter what ah do. Because godfor-effin'-bid a young, disabled person in his late 20s tries to be independent of his own family, eh? :kickingmyself: Naw, cannae huv that.

Graeme1988

Whoa! This year has flew past quick, hasn't it? Or maybe I'm noticing it more than usual, given the year I've had.
Hopefully better things are to come in 2017 for me. :)

Graeme1988

^ It indeed went by quick. But then again, I don't really know anyone for whom it was a good year.

Same here. Though, finally my orthaepedic surgery done and my summer spent in Edinburgh were probably the hightlights of my year. Other than that, it's been shite.

Graeme1988

Probably going to snap at some point, because I'm getting fed-up with being undermined by my own mother. Things have always, always, always gotta be her way. :kickingmyself: Because, apparently, I'm her f**kin' carer. And there wus me - the disabled person - thinking I was the one who supposed to be cared for. But nah...:eek:h:

Can't be arsed with Christmas this year. Think I'll just do what ah did last year. Enjoy ma own company, eat ma dinner and marthon a DVD boxset. Since my solitude is about the only thing bringing me any happiness as of late.

MollyBeGood

Sorry Graeme. Try not to let it get you down.

It is nice that we can find some comfort in being alone though. That always helps me feel better is to be away as best I can from everyone. I find I can think so much better and I do enjoy my own company so that helps a lot.

What will you be marathon watching?

I have been really into nature documentaries lately. I enjoy very much the ones about the colder, arctic regions where there is nothing but snow and ice and silence.

There's one called Christmas in Yellowstone I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys nature and animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZQ7yZH0_6o

defiance

If I can get next years birthday gift early that would be great. All I want AND I MEAN ALL I WANT IS TO DIE NEVER TO SEE ANOTHER MISERABLE HORRID DISGUSTING FUTILE DAY AGAIN. I AM DONE WITH LIFE I AM DONE WITH ALL THE MISERABLE S**T IT BRINGS ME ON A DAILY BASIS. I AM NOT A BAD PERSON SO WHY DO THESE BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME?!?!?!?!?!? I DON'T F**KING GET IT MAN.....WHY CAN'T I JUST BE FREE OF THESE DEMONS SO I CAN LIVE IN PEACE?!?!?!?!?:kickingmyself:. I HATE ALL OF THIS S**T MAN. IM HURTING TOO BAD. I MEAN THIS WHEN I SAY IF IT WASN'T FOR MY MOM I WOULD HAVE COMMITTED SUICIDE TONIGHT. THE URGE TO DO IT IS SUPER STRONG BUT BECAUSE OF NOT WANTING TO HURT ONE PERSON I HAVE TO STAY AND SUFFER MORE. ..................It's not fair man....:crying:. It's just so f**king bad.

If I can get next years birthday gift early that would be great. All I want AND I MEAN ALL I WANT IS TO DIE NEVER TO SEE ANOTHER MISERABLE HORRID DISGUSTING FUTILE DAY AGAIN. I AM DONE WITH LIFE I AM DONE WITH ALL THE MISERABLE S**T IT BRINGS ME ON A DAILY BASIS. I AM NOT A BAD PERSON SO WHY DO THESE BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME?!?!?!?!?!? I DON'T F**KING GET IT MAN.....WHY CAN'T I JUST BE FREE OF THESE DEMONS SO I CAN LIVE IN PEACE?!?!?!?!?:kickingmyself:. I HATE ALL OF THIS S**T MAN. IM HURTING TOO BAD. I MEAN THIS WHEN I SAY IF IT WASN'T FOR MY MOM I WOULD HAVE COMMITTED SUICIDE TONIGHT. THE URGE TO DO IT IS SUPER STRONG BUT BECAUSE OF NOT WANTING TO HURT ONE PERSON I HAVE TO STAY AND SUFFER MORE. ..................It's not fair man....:crying:. It's just so f**king bad.
It sounds like you need some external support right now. For starters you could ring a crisis hotline. Then see if you can get them to refer you to some affordable councelling or therapy in your area. You can't do this on your own - it's impossible. You need to take some firm positive courageous action.

Graeme1988

Sorry Graeme. Try not to let it get you down.

It hard not to, considering the amount of crap I've got to put up with.
Anyone else in my situation would've probably killed themselves by now to be honest. D'y'know what it's like to wake up most mornings dreading what the day might holds for ye? Constantly huvin to be guarded, simply because yer own siblings get a kick outta f**k ye about. ::(:

As well as questioning their motives and intentions everytime they knock on my bedroom door, because ah don't trust 'em. :sad: Since there's always a catch, I have to compromise or stop what I'm doing just to appease my mum or sisters. Yet whenever I ask them to do something for me, they can't be arsed.

And it's always me who get it whenever I complain? Like asking for my mum to speak f**kin' English instead of being vague as f**k. How am I supposed to know what she's on about when she referred to something as a thing. But naw, it's always me who's in the wrong. :kickingmyself:

Christ I even stopped speaking simply because I know how my mum and sisters will react. And, y'know, it's always nice being called an effin' c**t for merely pointing out a personality trait in your own mum which seriously needs to change. Because how dare I tell a wummin that she can't get everything her way. But then, my mum and sisters never seemed to comprehend the meaning of the word "No".

And they wonder why I have such a dour look on ma face 99.9% of the time. On top of not wanting to spend much time with 'em :sad:

It is nice that we can find some comfort in being alone though. That always helps me feel better is to be away as best I can from everyone. I find I can think so much better and I do enjoy my own company so that helps a lot.

I actually feel more relaxed and at ease when I'm just by myself. Which is why I'm always happy when my mum goes to visit my sister, niece and brother-in-law over in Ireland. I don't visit, since me being how I am has always been the source of many an argument. And all those Christmases where I fiorced myself to sit at the table, have just validated how I feel about my family and my place in it.

Marc7

True, but it's hard not feel like people might be judging you negatively when they stare at you. Especially with my appearace - well, the right eyebrow piercing mainly. Plus, I never know whether or not it'd be awkward or rude of me to acknowledge the person - usually it's some girl - staring at me? Especially if I've clocked them looking at me then looking away, then sneeking a look at me. Which happened today, oddly enough.

Oh, but you shouldn't think you're intimidating. Maybe they think your attractive or just unique and not negatively.

It just means that my chest is wider across, so sticks out more than if I were skinny. Because my rib bones are bigger. On the diagram below, I'd closer resemble the person on the right-hand side.

barrel_chest1349623083612.png

So you were born that way?

Easier said than done. Mind you, it wus'nae exactly easy either, but in the process of getting ready for the surgery - all the medical test and what not - I felt I might as well lose a bit of weight. Plus, I'd be walking a bit more than I'd been previously. So didn't want to be completely knackered and outta breathe just walking a short distance, as was usually case for me prior to my surgery.

So how did you get in shape and loose the weight?

Used to when I was younger, but after I turned 18 I began realising she wasn't as smart as I thought. Don't really know who the smartest member of my family is? Probably a cousin that I used to admire and look up to and haven't spoke in over 10 years.

Oh.

No, but my consultant and I knew this would be the case. Since we were essential fight against my cerebral palsy, in terms of correcting my walking and posture. It was never going "fix" my disability completely.

You think your surgery helped your cerebral palsy then? What do you do to help with the muscle spasms?

Well, he was looking for it to be that. But none of his kids were interested in running it. I was the last of his kids that he tried to talk into running it.

Oh, did he run it before he died?

Yep, you're right on both there. Secondary school is grades. But after the first 2 years of secondary, you get pick which subjects you'd like to study for the next couple years (from age 14 - 16), and how well ye do in those will determine whether staying in school until age 18 then going onto college will be worth it.

I meant what grades are secondary school? Like 6th or 7th? College is free in Scotland?

No, I just mean if I had more of a connection to my African side of my mixed parentage, I'd huv had a better connect with ma dad and where he came from. Rather than being raised aroon Scottish folk aw ma life and feel more Scottish than taking equal pride in being bi-racial. Does that make sense?

Don't want to get to deep into identity and national pride here.

Not that I'm knowing it, but it would've been nice tae at least huv ma dad there. Since he would've probably helped me better cope with and deal with the racism I got throughout ma school years.

And made me a better person going into my teens, rather than constantly learning from experience all the time. Because my mum would just plead ignorance whenever I asked her a question or avoid the question entirely by changing the subject.

Plus ah wouldn't huv this one-sided view of ma dad as this awful person.

Also there was a "language barrier" to try and get past. Me with ma Scottish accent and being fluent in Scots and English, and ma dad speaking English in Kenyan accent.

That makes sense. Yea your dad could have helped with you dealing it racism. What racism did you go through? But didn't you both speak English, but it was hard to understand each other?

Aye, ma dad remarried after splitting from ma mum. Don't know if he got married multiple times, though. As far as the reason for huvin so many children.

Oh.

Oh, just because ah never quite lived up to ma family's expectations. Did do as well at school, despite loving school when ah wus a wee lad, even though that was the start of the bullying the would persist with me well intae adulthood.

Ah never went to college or university, like ma sisters and cousins did. And because of my disability, ah feel like I'm just a burden to them at times.

You got bullied until adulthood? Well I feel the same way even though I went to college for two years. I feel I'm a disgrace to the family as well. Don't think you're a burden to them.

No, I don't think all women are like my mum or half-sisters. Mainly just the ones who tend to repeatedly spout similar man-hating rhetoric. But no, not all women. Since not all of them behave or act like my mum or half-sisters.

I guess I just fear any potential relationships going badly. Since I've only got my mum's horrible past experiences and observating how my sisters are in their relationship to go on. And youngest of my 2 older sisters always ends up arguing about some mundane trival shite. And my oldest is to arrogant to admit when she's in the wrong, much like our mum at times. So the blame usually get placed upon me.

Not exactly example of normality are they, as far as relationships go?

Plus my relationship with ma mum has gone bad over the last 11 years. Due to my mum being very controllling and unwilling to see things from my perspective. So, it doesnae exactly bode well for me, really.

Since I've become more introverted and closed off thanks to my family treating me the way they do at times, and how they tend to be more judgemental towards me than I am of them. Even though, I only tend to criticise them when they become manipulative, or take away my right to decide what's best for me.

It also doesnae help that they have this perception of me as anti-social. When in truth, I feel like an outsider in my own family.

Oh. I think you should still give it a shot, but I understand what your saying.

Ah know, but being racial bullied most o' yer life will do that to ya. :sad:

How were you racially bullied?

Graeme1988

Not as great as I should be. Just wasted another day, doing nothing. :sad:
And I've had a pretty sore stomach since I woke up today.