Housebound for life.

MikeyC

I really really desperately need help. I tried to change things by myself, but I relapsed and now I'm even worse than I was before.
Sorry to hear this, Bloom. ::(: I was in Melbourne not long ago. I should've come to visit you. Although that would've went down pretty bad, I would've loved to have a chat, even if for 10 minutes.

There is but with good, comes bad if you know what I mean
That's like with anything, though. Anything that can attract good will likely attract bad.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you can get through it one way or another. Not being housebound myself makes it difficult for me to comprehend but I can understand how debilitating it is.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Sorry to hear this, Bloom. ::(: I was in Melbourne not long ago. I should've come to visit you. Although that would've went down pretty bad, I would've loved to have a chat, even if for 10 minutes.

I dunno, I'm really socially awkward and anxious so you probably would've wanted to get away from me as fast as possible, lol. But thanks anyway. :)

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, i only want to make clear that you need to listen to your inner self, trying to take steps beyond your control can easily throw you back much deeper than before if done repeatedly.

True, that's exactly what happened to me. I forced myself to get back out into the world, but it was way too big of a step for me (plus no medication or support from a psych). Looking back, it was sort of a rash decision. I just did it because I was scared that I would stay like this forever so I needed to make a change. At first I thought things were going ok (even though it was hard), but after a few months I eventually reached my breaking point and my condition went from bad to worse. I was hoping to get better but it had the opposite effect. Conditions like this have taken a long time to develop so I guess it's going to take a long time to overcome. =/

leave_me_alone

Yeah, I pretty much stay at home all the time. Very raraley leave the house, usually only when it is absolutely neccessary. Its been around 5 years I've been living like this and slowly I am getting use to it, which is bad. I dont have any real life friends, only people that I am in contact with are my parrents. I would get out and socialize, but I dont really get along with people all that much. Most of them are shallow and I hardly have any common interests with them. I cant talk to my old friends, because they would judge me... they already think I am crazy for staying at home all the time.

I still have hope that I will not die alone, but deep down I know, that it is very likely. :/

Charmed

I've been housebound for half of my life now(I'm 20 now). The sad thing is I use to not be as bad as I am now with talking to people, it seems it's just gotten worse, or at least my fear of it has. I am going through different home remedies as of now for SA/SP, because I really want to try and change myself; staying inside isn't good for me and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. But here I am, on the internet, in my pajamas, in the middle of the day ... :rolleyes:. My SA has gotten really bad recently, to the point where I'm afraid of going to grocery store. Things just seem so hopeless right now ::(:.

MrJones

I only go outside when I have to go to uni or I have to do something for someone that no one else can do. That is, I only go out when I must. The few times I've tried to go out for anything else I had weird symptoms my psychiatrist described as in agoraphobia, but only for things that are out of routine, for some reason. I don't know, I guess I'm weird.

Rawz

I've spent a lot of my life in my house. I've been homeschooled my whole life. When I was a kid, and off and on while I've been a teenager I went to church/youth group, and when I was a kid I went fishing with my dad a lot. I also had one friend that I would hang out with almost ever Saturday. So I would leave the house a few days a week most weeks, but that's still a lot less than most kids/teenagers.

These days I mainly only leave the house to go to work or drive my sister to work. I have no friends now and am shy and afraid to hang out with people or talk to people.

I've always spent most of my time in my house in my bedroom, playing video games, screwing around on the internet, and watching movies.

I would like to change this but, like I said, I seem to be too shy and afraid to. And I don't trust people.

Last edited:
I only leave home for school, next year hopefully if everything goes as planned I'll move to The Netherlands which is completely different from where I live now, maybe things will look better there and that I go out more often even if it's just me alone, I won't stay inside, can't wait for summer 2013. ;)

Iluv

Well I prefer being at home but if I stay in it too long I become a tad stir crazy. I try to get out of the house but I have some points as if I feel the urge to bolt myself down and never leave again. Simple episodes.

Last edited:

nafadda

I can't stay in my house 24 hrs a day because I have animals,but though i am NOT 'housebond' I am quite property bound.

i just HATE leaving my property.I can make it to the gate and then I really do not want to leave.and on the rare times I have to,all I can think of is how bad I want to get back to it

.Now of course this is my choice,i have people invite me places quite often,I really just do NOT want to go.this is my sanctuary I created.

I do get a bit upset when people try and insist I go places .i understand that they just want to see me out and about,but one does get tired of explaining that they just don't want to do that anymore.

so because this is where i want to be i made sure to make it as nice as possible outside so i can at least have places to walk and enjoy.

I just tell my old friends that I've already seen what is 'out there' and now i no longer need nor want it.

Ms Cloud

Being at home all the time is not a bad thing if you really love your house, like I do. Also if you have access to the outdoors, like a forest or a beach or some hiking trails. Having pets helps tremendously, as well as some outdoor projects.

I walk to the grocery store once or twice a week. I don't usually need to go anywhere else, and I like not having a car. In the spring I'm going to take a bus once a week to a nearby town to go horseback riding. That will be plenty for me!!

this is my sanctuary I created.
I like that! I feel the same way.

Last edited:

nafadda

now thats what i'm talking about Cloud..having acsess to the outdoors.

when i go for walkabouts at midnight with my hounds is so refreshing to me..but trying to explain it to people who just don't get it can be annoying.

in the summer i have all these nice walking paths to walk down and so many butterflys bloom and all kinds of wildlife here.one day a bald eagle was just sitting in my front yard and just being able to watch him was something i enjoyed.just like at night hearing the Great Horned owls that are out..it's relaxing to me.

I opted out of society because I had had enough of it.now i enjoy the peace and quite of nature.

just look at Bridgete Bardot when she opted out of the movies to go and live with animals..she could have stayed on being a sex symbol like they wanted her to but she had enough and did what SHE wanted to do and still do her animal causes in public when she wanted to.

it's all in what makes a person comfortable.I say just make the best of it .

CrazyGirl

I was like that for the majority of my teenage years and 20's. Then I started to face my fears and issues to get out of the house doing things. When I tried opening up to people and making friends, it pushed them away. ::(: Coming off sounding a lot younger than I am when trying to talk to people doesn't help the situation. So now, because of previous rejections of trying and trying to make friends I have an extremely difficult time allowing anyone to get close to me now or saying anything personal about myself unless its superficial, general stuff.

Ms Cloud

when i go for walkabouts at midnight with my hounds is so refreshing to me..but trying to explain it to people who just don't get it can be annoying.

in the summer i have all these nice walking paths to walk down and so many butterflys bloom and all kinds of wildlife here.one day a bald eagle was just sitting in my front yard and just being able to watch him was something i enjoyed.just like at night hearing the Great Horned owls that are out..it's relaxing to me.
Wow, you! We're very similar, right down to the midnight dog walks and the random bird sightings. I have owls too, barred owls I think they're called, and the sounds they make are absolutely captivating.

No eagles here, but lots of other birds and wildlife.

Last edited:

Kevin T

I pretty much stay in the house except for shopping and the like. I sometimes go in my backyard but that's about it.

That will change one day, since I can't find a job eventually I'll be on the street. And that'll be the end of me.

nicole1

I'm like you. But I go to school... Being this type of person...sucks. I read tons, watch netflix, play games. I have a lot of tech stuff, collect books.

My advice: meet someone and invite them into your world. I've made wonderful understanding friends. Love them and they accomodate me in many ways. I feel selfish.

I told you that in order to tell you this: I don't believe you'll die alone. Someone is out there, be it a friend or significant other, that will stop that loneliness you are experiencing.

bsammy

nafadda-ehh i agree to an extent thats its all about comfort but there is a life and world outside the comfort zone that can/should be lived.just say 5 years down the road you wake up one morning and wish to change and start living, will you be able to?

besides, those friends you have now probably wont stay around for too long if you keep avoiding them.thats the way it turned out with me.i mean, whats the purpose of being friends with someone that never wants to do anything with you?

Ms Cloud

nafadda-ehh i agree to an extent thats its all about comfort but there is a life and world outside the comfort zone that can/should be lived.
It's not really about comfort, it's about preference. Some of us have tried the "being part of society" thing and got bored with it. We find nature more interesting. Others find nature boring, and prefer to be where the action is. Either way, it's a lifestyle choice.

whats the purpose of being friends with someone that never wants to do anything with you?
That goes both ways. Friends might not want to do the things I like to do either, like going for a walk in the woods or sitting around a campfire. If they don't want to do my kind of thing, why should I do theirs? If we're going to do stuff together, there'd have to be some compatibility. Otherwise it would remain a talking-only friendship, which is fine too.

Last edited:

Kinetik

I have a strange relationship with the outdoors. If I'm by myself, 99 times out of 100 I want to stay in. In that setup I'll only really leave the house to buy groceries - I'll even get a rush when I find an old packet of pasta in the back of the cupboard which means I can postpone going to the store for another day. I also work from home so that enables me to live that way. The only people in my life are 4 family members and my fiancee, and if I can get out and do something with any of them, great. So I like going out, but only if I have trusted company and the activities are relatively non-threatening, ie. everyday errands and nice activities like eating out or seeing a film. If I have to deal with officialdom or anything unpleasant, I'll typically procrastinate with it or try to subtly pawn it off onto someone else. :D

Last edited: