Housebound for life.

Helmaninquiel

How many people on here hardly leave there homes except for basic needs like grocery shopping, or cloth shopping? well that's me, I hardly leave the house, all I do is wonder around all day bored! My hobbies are my life line. I read a lot and watch movies. I also like to collect thing, the more I have the better, Idk it makes me feel better or something. I like to be surrounded by all the things I love. but doesn't change the fact that I'm going to die alone in this house. Seriously. I also have a problem with letting people near me.. so yeah ALONE.

Last edited:
I can relate to that, very much so. I just use the computer & watch tv, when i can get out of bed, but not much else.
Things do change over time, & for people like us house-bound types very very slowly. Nothing lasts forever. So i don't feel completely hopelesss about my situation, but i realise it's gonna take a number of years more before i will have gotten to an improved sitaution. So one needs to develop much patience, for this "waiting game"...

Azael

I posted about this on my old account, but I'll reiterate here. I, again, have found myself being housebound. Though this time I have a greater degree of willingness to go out, but that can be very far and few between. Thanks to online shopping and being able to get my hair done by my mother I haven't had to go out for anything really. I don't really ingest anything either (another stupid, I know). I'm not close to matching my previous record of being housebound a few years ago thankfully.

emre43

I can relate although I'm not resting on my laurels and I'm doing my best to change things.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yep, that's me. I'm 19 and I haven't left the house for over six months. I feel terrible, but I feel even worse when I'm out in the world. I feel like there's no hope. I'm afraid to leave the house to get treatment. I want to finish school and go to uni but I'm a complete basketcase at the moment and I freak out at the slightest of provocations. I can't manage relationships at all so I have no friends whatsoever. I can make friends, with some luck, but I can never keep them. I push everyone away. And the way things are going, I'm going to end up a housebound spinster for life.

/vent

I really really desperately need help. I tried to change things by myself, but I relapsed and now I'm even worse than I was before.

Azael

Yep, that's me. I'm 19 and I haven't left the house for over six months. I feel terrible, but I feel even worse when I'm out in the world. I feel like there's no hope. I'm afraid to leave the house to get treatment. I want to finish school and go to uni but I'm a complete basketcase at the moment and I freak out at the slightest of provocations. I can't manage relationships at all so I have no friends whatsoever. I can make friends, with some luck, but I can never keep them. I push everyone away. And the way things are going, I'm going to end up a housebound spinster for life.

/vent

I really really desperately need help. I tried to change things by myself, but I relapsed and now I'm even worse than I was before.

In 2007 I was hounsebound most of that year. I can relate to where you are at. It essentially happened as a result of many years of problems that came to a head and I imploded. To get out of the house, one option I recommend is to take early morning walks through a pre-planned route with very few people or traffic etc. I remember that I found it very hard to acclimatize myself to people, so getting out everyday was a big help. Gradually build up the intensity level and exposure.

Regarding friends? I am still working on that myself. I seem to be much happy doing my own thing now. My interests have filled the void left by the lack of social interaction in my life, so in a way, I live to learn and develop those skill sets. It's very unbalanced at the moment, and I know I will have to deal with this at some point soon.

Best of luck FlowersOfBloom, you can definitely beat this. Just take small steps and you will get there quicker than you think.

bushwick

HOUSEBOUND!!! That was my condition from 2003-2007.. absolutely, I went out like 2 times a week and the whole time spent in house... I had Vegetative Dysthonia back then, but i didnt tell my mother that i had paranoia.. i still have.. but if any1 knows what a hikkikomori is Hikikomori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .. i could call myself semi-hikki... i was homeschooled because of my condition... And housebound stays housebound... but now thank god i attend university... but still housebound

planemo

I've more or less been housebound since 2007. I had a breakdown, and thus had to give my up studies in university. I was so depressed and physically sick from my anxiety and panic, that i basically stopped functioning. Each year though, I have become less confined, in that i can leave the house if I really want to, and i do so more than i did years ago.

I do go out occasionally, but being around a lot of people is still something i struggle with. I have been going on walks for exercise, and because i'm on the move i don't get to mingle with others much.

But i'm still very far off from where i would like to be. i still avoid too many situations, and thus cannot function as well as the rest of society. I do wish i lived on a farm or some rural area, where i could get out of the house, but still be far away from people. Do you own a pet? It can help with the loneliness, and having a few internet friends can be a huge help too. :)

Helmaninquiel

/vent

I know actually how you feel. I mean like I said I'm able to leave the house but for only short periods at a time, I basically have been in my house for the last five years. Now I do have one friend, but that's only cause me and her are basically the same.. she also can't leave the house and has ex-stream panic attacks. Except for my friend and my mom I have pushed everyone one away, even my family. Now I am with the CMHA and I've been in the physic ward a few times, I'm on bipolar medication but really didn't do **** for me.. Not saying that if you were to get help (which you should) that it wouldn't help you, it's just me. But yeah basically I'm screwed for life.

Helmaninquiel

I can relate to that, very much so. I just use the computer & watch tv, when i can get out of bed, but not much else.
Things do change over time, & for people like us house-bound types very very slowly. Nothing lasts forever. So i don't feel completely hopelesss about my situation, but i realise it's gonna take a number of years more before i will have gotten to an improved sitaution. So one needs to develop much patience, for this "waiting game"...

Thanks for trying to give me some hope but honestly I don't think I'll ever get better.. I've been in my house for five years and I'm on medication, nothing is making me better. I hate people (not everyone, like you guys) and I'm surrounded by them when I'm out in the world so.. lol

Re: Housebound for life

Each year though, I have become less confined, in that i can leave the house if I really want to
I do go out occasionally, but being around a lot of people is still something i struggle with. I have been going on walks for exercise, and because i'm on the move i don't get to mingle with others much.
But i'm still very far off from where i would like to be. i still avoid too many situations, and thus cannot function as well as the rest of society. I do wish i lived on a farm or some rural area, where i could get out of the house, but still be far away from people
I live in a rural area, miles away from any towns, so i'm very seldom "bothered" with/by people. So i'm not housebound due to fear of people (although probably would be if lived in a town), but due to inertia/procrastination/etc .. basically i very seldom want to go outside, even though there's tones of nature all around. I guess i'm over the nature thing (lived in rural all of life), no matter how lovely & peaceful it is. Maybe staying inside is more safe/peaceful than going outside?. Might be the "Cocooning" thing?

I've never thought of "staying in house most of time" as a problem, and barely have i even thought about it. So now i have found another problem(s), and it has a name(s). Great. :D :confused:

Good link ---> Hikikomori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (see "See also" at bottom for all the related disroders)

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Best of luck FlowersOfBloom, you can definitely beat this. Just take small steps and you will get there quicker than you think.

Thanks so much. I will go back to my psychologist this year and maybe start on some medication. Thankfully I can go back to TAFE half way through the year, seeing I'm not quite (nowhere near) up to it at the moment. I just don't want to be stuck like this forever and it comforts me to think that maybe there's still a bit of hope left. I've been struggling with this on and off for over five years.

LazyHermitCrab

I am some days. For instance I can stay inside for a long time but I have to get out sometimes, which is why I want a dog but anyway. This week I was doing well like going to work and then another activity. Now I need to stay inside to recharge and somewhat numb my outdoor reality with videogames and other things. My social life is an epic fail. The only thing that motivates me is having a family someday but I doubt that will happen. Disney movies made it look so easy.

EscapeArtist

It can get better. But one thing I suggest to help the process of things getting better is not sentencing yourself to being housebound 'for life' by telling yourself you will be (like in the title) otherwise your mind will believe it, and any opportunity for change will be less recognized

Helmaninquiel

Re: Housebound for life

I live in a rural area, miles away from any towns, so i'm very seldom "bothered" with/by people. So i'm not housebound due to fear of people (although probably would be if lived in a town), but due to inertia/procrastination/etc .. basically i very seldom want to go outside, even though there's tones of nature all around. I guess i'm over the nature thing (lived in rural all of life), no matter how lovely & peaceful it is. Maybe staying inside is more safe/peaceful than going outside?. Might be the "Cocooning" thing?

I've never thought of "staying in house most of time" as a problem, and barely have i even thought about it. So now i have found another problem(s), and it has a name(s). Great. :D :confused:

Good link ---> Hikikomori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (see "See also" at bottom for all the related disroders)

Well believe me in the city, not leaving your house isn't considered normal. A lot of people at my age are drinking, getting into relationships, getting there career started etc. People with in my family think I'm messed, as do I to them. lol

Helmaninquiel

I am some days. For instance I can stay inside for a long time but I have to get out sometimes, which is why I want a dog but anyway. This week I was doing well like going to work and then another activity. Now I need to stay inside to recharge and somewhat numb my outdoor reality with videogames and other things. My social life is an epic fail. The only thing that motivates me is having a family someday but I doubt that will happen. Disney movies made it look so easy.

I completely agree with this. (The Disney part.) They always make it seem simple and glorious. But in reality life sucks you can't get away from it, and the more you try to make it perfect and right the more complicated it gets. Sadly true.

Gerdje

Whatever you try, do *not* let yourself getting forced into exposition which is way over your head, i was housebound for weeks 7-8 years ago, and was forced to spend the whole day out, 6 days a week by a psych. The idea was that every day it will get easier and easier but then i hit a point of relapse, i kept on forcing myself for months untill then point where i couldn't handle it any longer, and am housebound now for almost 4 years.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, i only want to make clear that you need to listen to your inner self, trying to take steps beyond your control can easily throw you back much deeper than before if done repeatedly.