Help me not dread the gym!

Captain_Lethargy

Okay, so I have been subjecting myself to a lot of negative self-talk about being out of shape. Now, I'm not a gigantic guy, but I could stand to lose weight and "tone up", or whatever. It's within my power to change, and the easiest way to do so (in addition to the jogging, walking, cycling, etc. I already do) would be to start going to the ghastly gym, since I don't feel self-disciplined enough to exclusively exercise at home. I've never successfully maintained a gym habit, but that doesn't mean I can't now. A few of the reasons I fear the gym:

-I don't like just walking in and not knowing how to use the machines, and having to read the instructions. It makes me look lost-a potential target for ridicule by the well-toned regulars whose domain I'm intruding on, or at least something to chuckle about in the locker room. I'm sure that no one would actually ridicule me, but the possibility that they might be THINKING about it bothers me.

-Just being in the gym and being out of shape marks you as a gym newbie...I feel like I'd be subject to either eye-rolling or unintentional patronizing comments about how hard I'm trying, or something. I also don't want to "gross out" the fit people via sweating or excess body movement. Again, this is a pretty irrational fear-that doesn't mean I'm not going to be afraid of looking out of place, even if I am just projecting my own anxieties onto hypothetical strangers.

-...and I'm not really sure what my other concerns are, come to think of it. Regardless, though, is there anyone who successfully maintains a gym regimen without it being an uncomfortable experience?

WeirdyMcGee

I don't go to a gym!
My routine includes running in the mornings- because I like running and can deal with it as long as I know everyone else is still sleeping and there's no one around to look at me; yoga and pilates at home in my room and some light strength training with a couple of 15lb weights-- also at home.

I got experience in yoga and pilates when I was in highschool, so I know what to do on my own-- so that's not a problem.

I would suggest starting with a home workout routine. Something that is easy to do every day-- and the more you do it, the better you will feel but you will *have* to push yourself. If you have a bit of space at home to do things, start out there until you're confident enough to go to a gym.

If you have the money for it- you could always join a class at a gym, or get an assigned trainer who will tell you exactly what to do.
Everyone has to start somewhere, so eventually you will have to read instructions, probably... but it'll only be once that you read them- and then that is that.

Good luck!

fitftw

I go 5 days a week Monday through Friday. At first I thought exactly the same way you think, but what helped me was having headphones. I don't use them anymore, as I got in shape and have nothing to fear in there now. Still don't talk to anyone or smile. Sometimes I make eye contact with the other regulars but I quickly look away or pretend to be focused all of a sudden.

If you really want to do it, you'll do it. That's my life's motto. If you end up doing it, you were meant to. It does feel good to look good, though. Good luck.

Captain_Lethargy

I don't go to a gym!
My routine includes running in the mornings- because I like running and can deal with it as long as I know everyone else is still sleeping and there's no one around to look at me; yoga and pilates at home in my room and some light strength training with a couple of 15lb weights-- also at home.

I got experience in yoga and pilates when I was in highschool, so I know what to do on my own-- so that's not a problem.

I would suggest starting with a home workout routine. Something that is easy to do every day-- and the more you do it, the better you will feel but you will *have* to push yourself. If you have a bit of space at home to do things, start out there until you're confident enough to go to a gym.

If you have the money for it- you could always join a class at a gym, or get an assigned trainer who will tell you exactly what to do.
Everyone has to start somewhere, so eventually you will have to read instructions, probably... but it'll only be once that you read them- and then that is that.

Good luck!

Thanks! I am apprehensive about working out at home because I live with roommates, and I would have to exercise in the living room. Maybe you're right, though. I just have a tendency to procrastinate at home.

I've actually been participating in a yoga class through my work for about a month, though I rarely practice at home. It feels great, though! I don't dread it, because it's low-key and most of the other participants are much more out of shape than I am.

coyote

#1 - aside from anything else, exercise has conclusively proven to be very beneficial in improving mood and/or combatting depression - so think of it as treatment

#2 - most people who go to the gym are too much into what they're doing for themselves to care about how you look or whether you're new, etc. If they do take notice, most people will be very positive, helpful, and commend you for being there - you're part of the club.

When I went I had to do an induction where I was shown how to use the equipment. The place had a second smaller, quieter gym that was ideal. I've had classes at another gym with an instructor each time, so eqipment wasn't a prob. People really dont watch each other - it comes across as too pervy - and there are all shapes and sizes. I second the headphones idea, too. My biggest prob was what to wear, but I sorted that out. I dont go anymore as I find gym exercise very boring, I prefer to be active outside.

Kiwong

I don't like the gym, so I don't go. I've managed to keep fit without going to a gym.

I do some strengthening exercises at home. Fortunately for running they are pretty simple and don't require gym equipment.

mikebird

Banned
I have a strict twice-a-week routine. It's half aerobic and half weights. I wish there was a boxing ring and punchbags to really vent my anger. The best was always squash, and now I have nobody to play with.

I am struggling with a slightly overweight BMI - seems impossible to lower - the harder I try, the more hungry I get afterwards.

Being at a gym is much better than at home. I know running outside is much better - I get there by bike, and I love a 50-mile ride, on other days, but SA blanks out everyone else at the gym. I am alone. I hate people there who spend their time in groups, chatting, laughing, not exercising! My roots of gym were when I was in jail. We all need physical regime to keep the head together. Each session ends in personal mental euphoria.

I'd be in a real mess without this

Josette

I just started going to a gym two months ago. I had the exact same fears as you and they turned out to be totally unfounded. They're used to people not knowing how to use the machines and will definitely have people whose job it is to show you. At my gym, I just made an appointment, told them my goals (get fit, lose weight) and they helped me come up with a plan and showed me how to use the machines.

Also, there is no shame about size that I've noticed. There's plenty of ppl of all sizes and shapes and they're all there for the same reason--to exercise. Everyone's in their own little exercise bubble and won't be paying any attention to you.

I'm actually finding my gym experience is helping me to feel less ashamed of my body. By seeing other women my size but also--the locker room was a huge eye opener. Maybe it's different for guys, but in the women's locker room, everyone is walking around naked or half-naked regardless of their size and totally unconcerned about being seen. I was kind of startled at first but then the lack of shame was so liberating, I quickly followed in their footsteps.

Richey

exercising is such a private thing for me. i dont mind playing sports in public but exercising for the sake of exercising is something i do alone. I would find it too uncomfortable going to a gym with seasoned fitness people. I've tried it before and it just felt weird. '

everyone is different though.

Mickery

-I don't like just walking in and not knowing how to use the machines, and having to read the instructions. It makes me look lost-a potential target for ridicule by the well-toned regulars whose domain I'm intruding on, or at least something to chuckle about in the locker room. I'm sure that no one would actually ridicule me, but the possibility that they might be THINKING about it bothers me.

People will either help or, more likely, ignore you entirely. It was almost disappointing, I'd heard the gym could be quite social and was wondering if somebody would approach me. But people are there to work, after all, and everybody was well into what they were doing. I don't think I attracted more than a passing glance the whole time and I'm visibly far from the ideal shape.

-Just being in the gym and being out of shape marks you as a gym newbie...I feel like I'd be subject to either eye-rolling or unintentional patronizing comments about how hard I'm trying, or something. I also don't want to "gross out" the fit people via sweating or excess body movement. Again, this is a pretty irrational fear-that doesn't mean I'm not going to be afraid of looking out of place, even if I am just projecting my own anxieties onto hypothetical strangers.

Everybody was a gym newbie once, these people weren't born toned. You'd have to be demented to look down on someone for that. Apart from noticing you're maybe new, they won't give it a second thought.

I would imagine that 1) the effort of keeping a routine and the physical exertion will occupy the majority of your problems once you've been a few times and 2) success will be worth a hundred times the price of anxiety.

fitftw

I hate walking past people at the gym. I honestly take different routes around the machines if I can see someone coming my way. I don't want to stop and talk and pretend to care and force a smile. I don't want to know anyone there. Except a few of the women I seem to stare at. I can't help it, and they're probably used to it, and for all I know they probably enjoy it.

I've been seeing the same people every day for almost 2 years and haven't said a word to any of them. I think they get it by now.

Also the gym is entirely necessary for me. I could not run outside in my skate shoes, or lift weights at home. I need the elliptical, pull-down bar, preacher curl machine, the tricep pulldown, etc. Even if I had a Bowflex or similar setup at home, I would NOT have the motivation that I have at a REAL gym.

I think being seen by people, the idea that a woman could be checking me out maybe, is what gives me my energy and focus and helps me get through my workouts.

Last edited:

Honk

coyote hit it perfectly on page one already...

...but if you're really serious bout working out and what not, you might want to get a home gym. I like to train my physical skills and my social skills on separate occasions if you will...

Captain_Lethargy

Edit: Also forgot to mention that you can photoshop your face onto a buff dude's body if goal-oriented visualization is your thing. You know, the whole "see it, be it" school of thought. I can say from personal experience, this works well too.

That sounds really weird, but...I can see that working.

I dont go anymore as I find gym exercise very boring, I prefer to be active outside.

I think this is my main problem. The self-consciousness is there, but I don't experience that as much when doing something I like. Ah well.

slapstick

it doesnt matter if you have a routine from zumba,, p90x or lifting logs in the backyard..just as long as your exercising thats the main thing... i think of everything as an exercise....if youre not getting enough rest in bed to obviously its gonna effect your motivation from the start..and if you miss a day so what don.t beat yourself up about it jus do it the next day but abit harder don't overtrain cos in the long run you;ll jus drain yourself and lose motivation its a steady and continuous process if u wanna see results...thats general tips but as for exercise..when starting of a programme or even if its been ages since youve worked out gradually condition your body and mind to adapt to the new change..so I'd recomend starting of with a 2-3week conditioning period about 3-4 times a week for abot an hour and a half each on the days that your training..of jus warming up for about 10-20 mins on treadmillor bike rower..or sum form of cardiovascular activity then jus stretch each individual muscle group for about half an hour ..20 seconds for each muscle. trust me your body feels alot more agile after that..then do sum light to medium weight exercises like bench presses etc.. after your three weeksof conditioning for 6- 8 weeks do a full upper body lower body split.. in your weeks you can do it 2-4 times a week depending on your schedule(be realistic) do full upper body workout one day mixed with abit of cardio in between sets...whatever exercises youre doin that day, whatever it may be. fosuses primarily on your upperbody. In between sets do like 20 starjumps or just jog on the spot or even skip for 20-30 secs remember to have short breaks in between exercises.. then a couple days later do the same but with your lower body..say some squats with no weights then shadow box in the mirror for 30 seconds.. jus a suggestion rest a couple days then do jus cardio with a long stretching cooldown and do your abs one day on its own which only takes like 15-20 mins..or even better but harder do 4 days monday upper tuesday lower with abs wed rest thursday upper friday lower and abs then rest.. i did that for 6 weeks straight.. after not exercising in years and i was ripped and so fit I joined the local rugby league team and was one of the fittest guys on the field..lol ask the personal trainers and dont get discouraged when you see sum1 at the gym with the body of your dreams remember they started sumwea..and ask the trainers at the gym .. thz wt they der 4 k hope that helps if u want more advice on exercise mesage me..im currently applying to study in a bachelor in sports and recreation soon so take it from a future expert hahaha cheers

Last edited:

LazyHermitCrab

going to the gym seems like it would inspire you to actually work out.. like when im at home i have a bike but i can stop whenever, so its usually a short workout. Since others notice you it will inspire you to get a full workout in :p

Luke1993

-I don't like just walking in and not knowing how to use the machines, and having to read the instructions

I'm not sure how it is where you are but the two gyms that I have been to my first time a trainer gave me a tour and showed how most of the machines work, I assumed all gyms did this so you couldn't sue them if you hurt yourself on the machines :D

vexatiousmind

I would suggest getting a trainer, you might be shy at first but they can teach you how to use the machines, and motivate you.

Plus you can tell them your goals and put you on a system that best meets them.

The only down side, is that it will cost more money.

tovoxy

I'm afraid of going to gym. Even at school I always tried to skip p.e.
I live in a small town and I can meet a lot of people I know in the gym, and that scares me off even more.
So I do exercises at home, but a gym would be more effective for me, however i'm way to scared going there.