Have you ever tried to get a girlfriend or boyfriend?

Mokkat

I wish I was not so paranoid about everything all the time. I've always lived a life of facades and plans, and I've always had crushes on specific girls (who I of course could only befriend in a superficial manner, never tell about my feelings) and had to make due with dreams and hopes of being with them.
That way I automatically turned down advances from girls over the years, from faint hints to obvious crushes. Wonderful girls in their own right, but I of course convinced myself to stay "safe" and keep hoping for that special girl.
Im aware that I should stay clear of that trap in the future, but now life feels hopeless as I never end up in situations where a girl might approach me anymore and my dreaming about crushes has been replaced with depressing pondering over girls I should obviously have taken a chance with in the past.

carecrab

I wish I was not so paranoid about everything all the time. I've always lived a life of facades and plans, and I've always had crushes on specific girls (who I of course could only befriend in a superficial manner, never tell about my feelings) and had to make due with dreams and hopes of being with them.
That way I automatically turned down advances from girls over the years, from faint hints to obvious crushes. Wonderful girls in their own right, but I of course convinced myself to stay "safe" and keep hoping for that special girl.
Im aware that I should stay clear of that trap in the future, but now life feels hopeless as I never end up in situations where a girl might approach me anymore and my dreaming about crushes has been replaced with depressing pondering over girls I should obviously have taken a chance with in the past.

It's never to late, and sometimes you gotta go yourself. In some cultures it's even a bizarre thought for the woman to go after a man. What i can tell everyone here from own experience is that woman smell desperateness, it's when you're not afraid to be yourself around her and dont care that much about what she thinks about you, then she really likes you.

WeirdyMcGee

I would say being in school- or having some sort of class with someone is the best environment to get to know them and have the opportunity to ask people out.
I liked a boy since I saw him in grade 6 but never bothered to pursue him because I assumed I was hideous. We did become friends and when he finally asked me out 3 years later, it seemed like a natural step forward.

If you're no longer in school, I'd suggest joining some classes at a community center. Art, theatre, cooking, yoga, general fitness... all good examples of classes I'd assume there would be plenty of ladies in.
A relaxed environment with zero pressure is best, I think.

we_r_eternal

Maybe the best way to approach this is from the evolutionary perspective: people are prone to favor attractive qualities and behaviors on a genetic level, and by and large (while these do differ a bit across cultures) the tendency to seek out individuals with certain traits and characteristics occurs ubiquitiously. For example, physical attraction is normally equated in bilateral facial symmetry (for both genders), an upsidedown triangle-like body shape (for men), and the classic hourglass-like body shape (for women). A preference for these features is ingrained in us genetically because they are harbingers that portend the successful birth of healthy offspring and being able to procur ample resources from the environment. These things still hold true in modern times even though the nature of our societies has made human interaction and relationships a bit more complex and less obvious (e.g., you don't have to be able to kill a wild boar with your hands to survive in the modern western world, nor does everyone want to have children, but the basic body proportions of attraction still hold true)... So-- while it might be at odds with your general nature (and I imagine it is for all of us here seeing as we have social phobia)-- if you want to attract the opposite sex (and you're a man) maybe try showcasing your virility by engaging in an awesome feat of endurance or strength whilst giving off an aura of the sound, stable mind necessary to be a good provider (e.g., don't use expletives, because this is socially unacceptable behavior, and good providers know how to work within the confines of the system, because the system is now that wild boar). Maybe try going to a local mall or commercial center and look for the largest flight of stairs you can find there; then wait until an attractive lass is in view venturing so as to climb the stairs. Rush into action: dressed in the height of fashion, nimbly rush up the stairs, even taking some of them 2 and 3 steps at a time! Retain a rigid body and good posture and try not to look sweaty or winded. When you get to the top turn around and catch her eye, maybe giving a few decisive pelvic thrusts for good measure. Then, saunter over to a refreshment stand and buy 2 icecreams or something. The lass will consciously think (hm... he must be in a hurry perhaps... Was he looking at me? hm...I am not sure), but unconsciously (I predict this one might provide me with good seed that will produce many healthy offspring, and because he's so fit, viril, and well dressed, he will provide for all of us very well. Possible mate.). THis is just your foot in the door though; now you rely on your sensitive personality and good nature to woo her (e.g., don't give off creepy, slick, used-car-salesmanesque vibes). With a smile, blatantly lie saying "oh dear, I got this extra icecream for free because they were out of butter peacan, would you care to share it with me? If you are nice and not too creepy she'll say "sure"... or she'll think you put GHB in the icecream and run away telling a security guard. Seriously, this worked all the time in the 50's I'll bet... Use a spoon maybe and eat some of it, or better yet-- just ask her which one she'd prefer. Yes, you are sort of initiating a relationship based on a lie, and she's sure to learn you are shy, but those viril strides will remian in her mind until you prove your excellence equally in other spheres...
thats freakin awesome- hilarious with some truth! well done A+

I think coyote said it best...and to add to that...just make her laugh...whoever she is, wherever you are, women respond to a sense of humor no matter what you look like.

Just try not to be too cheezy, but if it is cheezy, do it in a nice funny sarcastic way, or whatever works without making yourself sound like a creep.

ScaredToBreathe

well, i have trouble finding a date too. but everytime i get one, it's because one of my friends hooked us up. so if u have some friends that your comfortable around, u might wanna ask them if they kno any single girls looking for a relationship, and then arrange a time when all of u can hang out so u can get to kno them. i also meet most of my friends through other friends...it's a good system XD

ANNomaly

Not really. I happen upon potential boyfriends, though. I met my first and only boyfriend (at the moment anyway :D) during my senior year of high school. We didn't actually start speaking until we were placed into the same group for an election simulation project and, even then, he initiated contact. Things took off from there. We were together for 2 years. Since my anxiety manifests more in relationships than in everyday interaction, I plan to avoid relationships until I've conquered it. I don't want to feel like I'm sleeping with my counselor.

EnigmatiConduit

I'm glad i'm not a guy ha... guys do the asking, well in my case, i'd never ask.. and to be honest - girls do my head in even to just have as friends! .. so not a helpful reply i know

MikeyC

I have asked out three girls from memory (one I asked out twice). The first two girls I was rejected but the last one was my ex, and that was a bad relationship for me. The first one broke my heart and I think it has led me to some problems I have today with anxiety around women.

These days I probably wouldn't ask a girl out anymore. I can't handle the nervousness and leaving myself open for attacks (while that is a rare occurrence, it still plays on my mind).

this_portrait

I met my first boyfriend through school. With that relationship, I guess you could say I got lucky, because he asked me out and things developed from there. Too bad it all went to sh*t, though. :/

Aletheia

The first one broke my heart and I think it has led me to some problems I have today with anxiety around women.

My brother was 14 when his first girlfriend left him for his best friend. He was so heart-broken that he failed to find another (he did want one!) until he met his wife 15 years later.

I think he just became scared around women, scared he'd be hurt again.