Have ppl ever asked you about your life?

Have ppl ever asked you about your life, if it's ok and if you're happy? Today I started to talk to an old co-worker on fb and she asked me this. I didn't know how to answer her. I was like wtf?!? Kinda rude actually. This is not a proper question that you should ask. Maybe she just said this to make me mad. Some ppl just like taking the piss.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Really depends on your relationship, and context.

Maybe she likes you and really wants to know.

Maybe she's looking to convert you to scientology.

I haven't talked to her for months, like 6 months or so. The last time I've talked to her, was when I visited her. At that day she promised me to hang out with me the next weekend, which never happened. She promised me to send me information about the place we wanted to go to together, but nothing happened. When we were still co-workers, we exchanged our cell phone numbers. I've called her once, but she never ever called me. These things shows that she doesn't want to know me anymore.

ImNotMyIllness

I haven't talked to her for months, like 6 months or so. The last time I've talked to her, was when I visited her. At that day she promised me to hang out with me the next weekend, which never happened. She promised me to send me information about the place we wanted to go to together, but nothing happened. When we were still co-workers, we exchanged our cell phone numbers. I've called her once, but she never ever called me. These things shows that she doesn't want to know me anymore.

Screw her! She obviously isn't interested. Just one less person to worry about. Save your time and energy for people who do want to get to know you!

laure15

I don't like it when people ask me "How's it going?", "What's up?", or any of the variety because I'm not sure how to respond. I can either lie to them and say I'm doing alright - which I usually do - or I can tell them the truth and dump my problems on them, which doesn't happen often.

I tend to think of these types of questions as "conversation fillers" because people ask them for the sake of making conversation. Not that they have any interest in my life.

itisgoingtobefine

I think it is sad - but then again how do start a conversation with a new person? Most of the time when I am asked, I just say "hanging in there" Which doesn't mean good or bad but instead I think it means I am surviving. lol

Ignace

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone asking about your personal life. However, there are some people who ask to humiliate you instead of being interested. I know a pair of guys who would ask me regurarly in a large group what I'm doing with my life just to be able to make fun of me. That kinda people you definitely gotta avoid.

Yeah, she's obviously trying to make fun of me, cuz she knows that I don't have many friends and never had a bf. When we were co-workers, she was like: Here's my number. We'll keep in touch and have some coffee together, blah blah blah. She never ever talked to me again when I had a new job. If she really cared about me as a friend, she would be different to me. When I asked her why she asked me these questions, she simply said: I don't know.

WTF?!? B.I.T.C.H.

Last edited:

ForWantOf

If people ask about my personal life, I just change the subject. I don't like talking about myself. If they ask some reflexive question out of sheer, everyday innocuousness like, "how are you," or "how are you feeling," I answer with morbid truthfulness. Throws most people off because they're expecting me to say something like, "fine." That way they can feel as awkward as I do when I get asked stupid questions.

Flanscho

Sure, certain friends ask me every now and then how I feel and if I'm happy.

It depends then on how much I trust that person, whether I give a general "I'm fine" answer, or tell them in detail how I feel, before asking them how they feel.

Barrier

Not seriously no. Just the general "how are you?" to which you're required to answer "fine". Even if you're not.

Agent_Violet

Yeah, she's obviously trying to make fun of me, cuz she knows that I don't have many friends and never had a bf. When we were co-workers, she was like: Here's my number. We'll keep in touch and have some coffee together, blah blah blah. She never ever talked to me again when I had a new job. If she really cared about me as a friend, she would be different to me. When I asked her why she asked me these questions, she simply said: I don't know.

WTF?!? B.I.T.C.H.

Maybe she honestly doesn't know why she didn't keep in touch or make a bigger effort to be in your life? Doesn't make her a B*tch..it makes her just like a LOT of the people on here.Unable to maintain friendships and relationships with others for reasons they can't quite explain.

Honestly.How many of us care about others but still can't connect in the way we should with these people?? How would you feel to have someone go off on a rant being critical about that?

most people aren't naturally malicious.most people don't typically ask someone about their life with the specific goal in mind to make fun of them,make them feel bad, or mock them in any way. most people ask simply because they're honestly curious as to how your life is progressing for you.

Some people just ask because they don't know how else to start a conversation and it's awkward for them.

Agent_Violet

And to answer the question...yes people ask me about my life all the time.People I haven't spoken to in years will pop up and ask me how things are going and if I'm happy,content,fulfilled,etc. It's always a pleasant surprise to know someone was thinking of you even if they haven't kept in touch.

ImNotMyIllness

OMG! I had a nosey neighbor pretend she was looking for my mom just to ask me this question! I was ambushed! She kept asking what I'm doing and on and on. I was so p*ssed off! I basically was very brief and made it clear through my terse statements and body language that I was not interested in talking to her.

AdamE

If people ask about my personal life, I just change the subject. I don't like talking about myself. If they ask some reflexive question out of sheer, everyday innocuousness like, "how are you," or "how are you feeling," I answer with morbid truthfulness. Throws most people off because they're expecting me to say something like, "fine." That way they can feel as awkward as I do when I get asked stupid questions.

I really, really like this idea.

Barrier

I want to do this. But somehow the embarrassment prevails and I stick to mumbling 'fine' in the end.

Maybe she honestly doesn't know why she didn't keep in touch or make a bigger effort to be in your life? Doesn't make her a B*tch..it makes her just like a LOT of the people on here.Unable to maintain friendships and relationships with others for reasons they can't quite explain.

Honestly.How many of us care about others but still can't connect in the way we should with these people?? How would you feel to have someone go off on a rant being critical about that?

most people aren't naturally malicious.most people don't typically ask someone about their life with the specific goal in mind to make fun of them,make them feel bad, or mock them in any way. most people ask simply because they're honestly curious as to how your life is progressing for you.

Some people just ask because they don't know how else to start a conversation and it's awkward for them.

I'm pretty sure that she asked me this to make fun of me, to ditch me, cuz I know how it goes. She's not the first person that does this to me in this way. It's not that she doesn't know how to start a convo with me or anything, cuz she used to talk to me a lot, but now, never. She doesn't have social phobia or anything else. She knows how to communicate with ppl.

Quietguy11

I don't think she would have meant any offense by it. I wish more people I know would stop and sincerely ask how I'm doing, and feeling. It would really make me feel appreciated and more important. Usually if someone says something like that Online it's only because they would find it tremendously hard to say it in person, but of course that's not always the case with everyone. People are also terrified to ask how people are doing because they never know what they are going to receive a reply. For instance, you may say something that they seriously feel they can't help much with, and it will make them feel useless or helpless. When someone asks how you're doing, and they really seem sincere about your feelings, try opening up a little bit, it will take a lot of pressure off your shoulders if you get to release some of that stored up stress we social anxiety sufferers carry around with us.

Kiwong

Generally not. Certainly not my family, but I don't ask how they are so what can you expect. One person at work asked once, which was a surprise.