Girls, your first menstruation (Girl thread)

Feathers

Well, I got it around 13 or so (I think) my sis had it when she was 9 (and it was whispered about in relatives' circles yikes so embarassing haha) I was older but still didn't have it
Then at my relatives' for summer holidays it finally happened, I was totally embarassed and didn't dare to tell anyone too... (they guessed and bought 'supplies' it was still soo embarassing yikes - but at least I no longer thought I was a boy too! lol! I was soo skinny and we just read a weird article about these 'mixed up cases' before...-??)
Some classmates had it before too, one was whispered about (cause a liner outline showed I think yikes)

I wonder why this was so embarassing for so many of us??

Had almost no trouble with my monthlies for a loong time (teen years and 20s, while I was mostly a vegetarian - sometimes it went away for a few months too but I was okay with that hehe), except a bit of backache... Then later I did start to experience the 'monthly monster' lol!
When I feel like 'doomsday' and feel the need for chocolate, I need to take a look at the calendar and yup, that time of month! And ah, the high is usually good - sometimes not so 'ecstatic' tho lol!

Sometimes the cycle has been postponed or such when under stress, once at the seaside (quite conveniently :))

I read the chocolate cravings can be related to lack of magnesium, some people managed to 'cure' the 'PMDD' with nutrition (I still think it's not a 'real' disorder, some people wish to sell pills for it though??) It's usually better if I go for a run/walk too!!
There are books written about this, & I wish I had the $$$ to get'em and read'em and fix this!!! :) It can be confusing cause you're supposed to lose iron with blood, but sis says if she eats meat on dunno, 1st day or what, it gets worse for her?

I think it might be nutrition related, since I had almost no problems when I was veggie... but I'm not really willing to go back to veggies only at the time so hm?

Edit: sorry for possible TMI, still contemplating whether to erase this or not lol

Last edited:

goldold

^Thats not true actually.

PMS | Women's Services

..."The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists estimates that at least 85 percent of menstruating women have at least 1 PMS symptom as part of their monthly cycle."

..."Others (about 3 to 8 percent) have a more severe form of PMS, called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)."

i actually don't have any of those symptoms, so that makes me really special right?:) well i cry easily but that's normal.

ScaredToBreathe

got mine when i was 14 and going into my first year of high school. although it was on and off and only happened in 3 or 4 months out of the year but finally was regular after i turned 15. was really disturbed and freaked out when i first got it, i knew what it was and could talk to my mom about it, but i wasnt at all ready for it...my plan was always to start my period when im 18 but unfortunately i can't control that hahaa. but i guess I'm lucky cause it seems mine came late compared to those who first got it when they were 11 or 12.

twiggle

Since I'm currently on my period (the first day of flow - sorry to be graphic) I thought it would be appropriate to write here to you girlies just to vent my perplexed state at how this blimmin monthly visitor messes with my mind.

The past few days I've felt extremely emotional and not my normal self but how much of this I can attribute to PMT I don't know, because other rubbishy things have happened that no doubt have contributed. But... ARGHHH... it's no coincidence that I have these days around the same time every month. I want to cry at everything. My anxiety shoots up to a full-time high. I doubt everything there is to do with myself. I worry that I have every disorder under the sun and that I'm really, REALLY ****ed up. I think about all the reasons there are to hate myself. I make up fascinations (negative ones) about all the things people possibly hate and say about me. I write 500 word rants on the computer that I then delete, just to out my frustration. I think I have no future. I question my existence. The slightest thing makes me cry. I am in pain.

And then I remember there are cherry coconut buns in the cupboard and the world seems a rosey place again.
Eurgh.

Lea

Banned
Since I'm currently on my period (the first day of flow - sorry to be graphic) I thought it would be appropriate to write here to you girlies just to vent my perplexed state at how this blimmin monthly visitor messes with my mind.

The past few days I've felt extremely emotional and not my normal self but how much of this I can attribute to PMT I don't know, because other rubbishy things have happened that no doubt have contributed. But... ARGHHH... it's no coincidence that I have these days around the same time every month. I want to cry at everything. My anxiety shoots up to a full-time high. I doubt everything there is to do with myself. I worry that I have every disorder under the sun and that I'm really, REALLY ****ed up. I think about all the reasons there are to hate myself. I make up fascinations (negative ones) about all the things people possibly hate and say about me. I write 500 word rants on the computer that I then delete, just to out my frustration. I think I have no future. I question my existence. The slightest thing makes me cry. I am in pain.

And then I remember there are cherry coconut buns in the cupboard and the world seems a rosey place again.
Eurgh.

I feel especially crappy these past days too, totally psychically and physically drained, one would think it´s because of period but I had it about 2 weeks ago.

twiggle

I feel especially crappy these past days too, totally psychically and physically drained, one would think it´s because of period but I had it about 2 weeks ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if your hormones are still involved somehow, particularly if there is no particular reason as to why you should be feeling this way all of a sudden. Sometimes I have a strange spell 2 weeks after period too, I think it's because of ovulation. I hope you feel better soon anyway :)

Lea

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if your hormones are still involved somehow, particularly if there is no particular reason as to why you should be feeling this way all of a sudden. Sometimes I have a strange spell 2 weeks after period too, I think it's because of ovulation. I hope you feel better soon anyway :)

Can be.. will have to observe closer next time. But I think there are other things in this as well which I don´t have OK healthwise and brainwise :).

Etbow23

I had it when I was 14, later than everyone else at school so when they were talking about those types of things I felt uncomfortable. I really wanted to get it because I guess I wanted to grow up/fit in. Anyways, I don't remember much. I do remember the night before I took a ton of vitamins like kind of trying to make my body menstruate because I thought if I took a bunch of healthy vitamins, I would menstruate. Go figure.

MollyBeGood

Haha yes, there have been a couple of times where I've really been so overjoyed to see it, that I swiftly forgot about the pain! After those occasions and worries I told myself to start being grateful of periods but...the gratitude didn't quite last ::p:

:) yes woohoo there will be blood and it's a good thing!

I am in the "short" period club so I feel lucky! just wish the pms wasn't so sinister.

nicole1

I was 9. I'm scared about that b/c as a child, a product that's been recently studied and linked to cancer and shown to cause early onset of menstruation in girls.
I also have hypothyroidism. I'm 24. My cycles are all over the place. I am more mean, angry, and I crave carbs.
Have any of you used a thing called a cup? It's a natural alternative to tampons and pads. I used one and had such a horrible experience that my anxiety blew up and now I'm constantly scared about any pain down there. I fear I have cancer and I fear something bad and irreversible has happened to me.
I have been to doctors. No one will listen. Sometimes I'm in so much pain, I can barely walk or get out of bed. I just want answers or help ending this pain.

Agent_Violet

i don't get a period anymore since my surgery but i started at 12 i believe. i was staying the summer with my grandfather. woke up in horrible pain with my lower half covered in blood.

Called my mom and she cried then got down to business telling me how to handle it.

had my last period when I was 27...it lasted 6 months varying from bleeding so much i fainted to barely anything at all. Then i had my surgery and now I just go through the symptoms of pms but no period at the end of it :)

**interesting thread by the way...**

Illusions

Haha, I think I was 12 at the time. I was at home when I got it. I was quite calm about it but a lil embarrassed. In the end I told my mum about the blood.

Silatuyok

I was almost 13 and at my Grandma's house on Christmas Day. That part of my life was so very traumatic, I don't even want to go digging up the memories. I didn't think I was dying, I was just horribly ashamed, and I hid it from my family for as long as I possibly could, which meant finding creative alternatives to using actual feminine products. I didn't understand how women could go on leading normal lives with what I viewed at the time as an awful disability. It took me a long time to get over it, and despite having a mother and four older sisters I felt like I had no one to help me through that difficult time in my life. It's probably a part of my past that I should explore further and try to resolve, but today is not a good day to go poking around in bad memories.:rolleyes:

Imaginary

At 13 I think, n I'm so shy to tell it to my Mom, I'm so afraid if my another family member know it~ >.< But it's normal~ 8'D

Moo

Interesting thread. I can relate to a lot of your stories.

I was 11 years old. It happened in the summer holidays between primary and secondary school. I knew what was going to happen and predicted it a few days before. It surprises me how so many of you didn't know enough about it before it happened.

When I was younger it was really, really bad. I have awful memories of going to school feeling terrible and sitting through 2 hour lessons feeling like I was dying… and obviously being too embarrassed to say anything. I also used to throw up and not be able to stand. I have a photographic memory of those days and even remember the dates of every time it was really bad. Thankfully the worst is over now and it’s probably 3-6 on the pain and annoyance scale rather than 8-10.

I actually never told my mum haha. The idea mortified me!!! ::p:

WeirdyMcGee

My grandma hasn't had a period in30 years but she still stocks up on supplies incase anyone drops by and needs anything. haha

Silatuyok

My Dad is a big survivalist enthusiast, and he likes to stockpile things we might need for TEOTWAWKI. I always look through his stuff and see that he has a few feminine pads thrown in and I'm thinking, uuuuuummm, yeah, that's going to last about half a day and you're going to start wishing you were more sensitive to a woman's needs.