Friends: are they worth it?

nicole1

Is it worth having friends? I mean who says we really need friends... I've been wondering about this for some time. I honestly both want and don't want friends because dealing with people gives me a head ache. :kickingmyself:

FriendlyShadow

I'd say there's not much of answer that can fulfill the question. It's pretty much dependable, but I guarantee that alot people don't make friends easy(or if they really want to) I'd say to a fact, there are to many phonies, troublemakers, jerks, and just cruel people in this world and there is too many of them(I am dissappointed in the parents because they can't raise their kids to do a better job in making this world come to peace and be more kind around others but that;s not the case. Unluckily and unsurprisingly, there are too many kids my age have been mean to me so I just don't deal with making friends anymore. Aquantances maybe I'd consider, but long term friends will not do it for me no matter how you try and change me, because you can't.) If you don't want friends then that was entirley based off on your decisons only, not anyone else can make for you but your own. Don't be ashamed you can't make friends like everyone else can.

rosewood

i so want to be close to other people. so i would say yes... because friends are supposed to be the family we get to choose. learning which people are good to have as friends and which are not is the interesting and sometimes difficult path we get to follow. living with the fear while we follow the path is the tricky part.

S_Spartan

I was just thinking about this. I'm a middleaged guy and I find people in my age group to be hot and cold. Sometimes they act like they love you one moment but then they ignore you for long periods of time. I don't know if I would consider anyone my friend at this point.

ImNotMyIllness

I have enough friends. Although, I could always use more, if it's a really good connection. Friendships require a lot of effort to build and sustain so unless it's with the right person, to me, it's not worth it. Now back in college, I was desperate for friends. Luckily, that's where I met really great people.

I'm in more in need of a girlfriend. An outer group of casual friends would be nice though. People that I can network with or discuss issues but aren't that close too.

ImNotMyIllness

I have enough friends. Although, I could always use more, if it's a really good connection. Friendships require a lot of effort to build and sustain so unless it's with the right person, to me, it's not worth it. Now back in college, I was desperate for friends. Luckily, that's where I met really great people.

I'm in more in need of a girlfriend. An outer group of casual friends would be nice though. People that I can network with or discuss issues but aren't that close too.

That's what I need. An outer circle of casual friends that I can rely on at times and vice versa that share similar professional interests. That would be really cool!

razzle dazzle rose

Yeah, I think friends are worth it. They can be a pain of course. But it is nice to have someone to talk to. I would love to have a couple of girlfriends to hang out with.

Absolutely. Although for me it's hard to find people around where I live that actually understand my odd sense of humor. I have one dear friend here that I can say is really on my level.

I have only ever had one close friend at a time.
So I can't comment whether having several friends is worth it.:idontknow:
Having at least one close friend is like having a cushion to buffer the hard knocks in life.
You just have to find a friend that you can put up with their annoying little habits, and they can thankfully put up with yours....we all have them :bigsmile:

laure15

Friends are worth it, but I might not have the income to invest in them. For instance, I can't go to movies or restaurants with them without dipping into my (meager) savings or borrowing from my parents (which I feel guilty doing). However, I'm sure there are free ways to keep in touch with them, such as through social media and skype.

Think I've PO'ed enough people in my area to remove myself from the "ladder" as well. It's like everyone knows one another here. One person hates you, twenty people you don't know hate you as well!

Same here. All it takes is one person to hate you and their friends, friends of their friends, family, etc will hate you too. I've been in this situation before. I've had strangers hate me for whatever reason. Sometimes I feel sorry for Kim Kardashian because many of the people that claim to hate her are strangers and don't know her personally. I hope I don't get bashed for saying this.

I think they are. Although I am quiet and do not speak much, I need to be with my friends. I do think they are extremely important. However I do not have many true friends, can count on one had the number of true friends but each one is extremely important to me and i'd do anything for them. Howver mere aquaintances are a waste of time, I do not care for those people who don't care for me. Those people who need my help and I give it to them and put all my energy into helping them then when I ask for help they run a mile, can't bothered with users those kind of people I don't need in my life.

planemo

it really depends on the person who could be your potential friend. one person could be worth the effort, another one not so.

from my personal point of view, i've been friendless for a number of years and i would kill to have a good friend again. so if you find a potentially good person to be friends with, you should make the move to make it happen.

Some are.

Some aren't.

I'd argue that those who aren't worth it were never your friend to begin with.

Real friends are always worth making and keeping. In my opinion, they're what makes life good above anything else. Sure there is the beauty of nature and a myriad other pleasures, but our enjoyable interactions with others affect us most deeply, I think (unfortunately for us the negative interactions affect us more than they should).