Fear of going bald

Lord Baltimore

I have this irrational, yet unshakeable fear of going bald. About 2 years ago my hairline went a little farther back, my mom said it was just my adult hairline setting in, but it hasn't changed at all since then. However, i spend hours a day at least checking my hairline, taking pictures of it on my camera phone, saving them and comparing weeks later. Really truely weird stuff. Does anybody know how to stop doing this?? BTW i'm about 80% sure i'm not actually losing my hair

coyote

some guys look better with less hair

some girls like guys with less hair

besides, it's part of the natural process

the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more comfortable other people are with you

EscapeArtist

Not so sure what that is, but I have a similar thing with wrinkles, yes, at age 17 I'm worrying about wrinkles.. Insane, I am, but I have my reasons (scared to look like my mom (sorry mom, did not age so well))
It sounds like an obsessive behavior. Just know that, even if your hair IS receding (most likely it is not) there are some ways to restore it, even as simply as through your health. It's an always comforting thought that the body can repair damage. Maybe thinking/knowing that it is reversible will ease the worry

Lord Baltimore

some guys look better with less hair

some girls like guys with less hair

besides, it's part of the natural process

the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more comfortable other people are with you

true i agree. But the main issue is, it's not rational. I have a full head of hair and i'm driving myself insane for no reason. Maybe this is something i need to take to the shrink i'm going back to

coyote

true i agree. But the main issue is, it's not rational. I have a full head of hair and i'm driving myself insane for no reason. Maybe this is something i need to take to the shrink i'm going back to

good idea! :]

can I have some of your hair?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Patrick_Stewart.jpg

Liam17

i know how you feel man, i'm only 17 and worrying about. I can't lose my longish hair, i'm in a rock band :/

KiaKaha

Banned
I started balding at about 25, I am 31 now and while I still have some hair, I just shave it off using a razor. I would rather have a dome than have a bald patch at the back of my head. Believe me I have TRIED everything in my power to reverse the process but in the end it will win. Most guys will go bald, some younger and some older, but it will pretty much happen (unless you are blessed with the right genes). It took a long time to accept it, but I agree with what coyote said, if you feel OK about it, then others will as well. Its just a part of getting older I am afraid...

coyote

I'm still hanging on to what I've got

If it thins too much more, I'm gonna shave it

just like my dad did

Hastings & Main

Well, I was a metalhead and had hair down past my shoulders in high school. Didn't look good, but hey I was a rebel (and just teeming w/friends:rolleyes:).
Something like 15 years back - long after I had it cut to punk-length - I accidentally saw the back of my head and my intestinal tract seemed to turn into lead.
Got MPB off my dad's genes, whee.
I was "lucky", as I got the Jack Nicholson-style baldness with the widow's peak, and I'm fine with it by now.

But definitely seek some insight if you're obsessing with it. Is you father bald? If he is, you have +/-50% chance of getting MPB from him.

(and for Escape - two simple things to help stave off the wrinkles: no smoking, and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day:))

I went bald and didn't even realize it.
The way I found out was, I was 4th row at a mavericks game, recorded it on tv, and played it back and saw my big bald head on tv.
Then I remembered about a year ago when I'd take a shower and get clumps of hair. That was me going bald. I just thought at the time "wow, that's a lot of hair."
I ******* hate it. Be glad you still have hair.

If you makes you guys feel any better. whenever I talk to guys and they happen to be bald. I don't think any less of them. I don't even really pay attention to it really. One thing you need to remember, and this isn't limited to bald heads. Is remind yourself that everyone else does not care about how you look as much as yourself.

Aussie_Lad

Baldness is usually heredity, and remember it can from the mother or the father. If any of your family has baldness then their is a likelyhood that you could go bald at some time in your life. Nothing is certain though, even if you have a family history. Stress probably doesn't help either.

Baldness doesn't have to look bad either. Remember Lex Luthor from Smallville? He had a totally shaved / bald head, but still looked quite alright.

Kinetik

Once adulthood hit, my hairline receded slightly as well, and not a single guy in my family is bald. It's just the way it goes, and I doubt anything will happen to your hair for quite some time.

Even if you start to go bald later in life, try to embrace it. That's especially easy in the States where loads of folks dig the macho look. Just make sure you give yourself a tight buzz as opposed to having whispy bits of patchy hair hanging out all over the place. :D

Felgen

A significant hair loss happens to 25% of all males before they're 30. Nothing unnatural about it either; it was considered attractive until the tabloids and the celebrity magazines hit the shelves.

See if some of your close relatives started going bald early. If they did, it may happen to you; if none of them "suffer" from baldness, it's very unlikely that it will happen to you.

Confuseddd

Just cut your hair to a number one or two.

That way it's all even:D

cut my hair to a number one or two ?
Im assuming you mean just cut it short first to "Test the waters"
Yeah i sort of already did that , and it doesnt look horrible but i know eventually im gonna have to shave it. I definitly worry about that.
I guess because i have always had hair as a kid. i loved having my hair long and used to get alot of compliments on it. BUT not anymore lol . . .

A significant hair loss happens to 25% of all males before they're 30. Nothing unnatural about it either; it was considered attractive until the tabloids and the celebrity magazines hit the shelves.

Well, I have to say I find that hard to believe.
Second, even if it was attractive to be bald, I'd still take my hair back any day of the week.
I can't stand the way it looks, the way it feels. Sometimes I feel my head accidentally and inexplicably want to hurt someone.

And yeah, shaving it helps, but not much. You really have to bic it, and it's time consuming. So you have 2 choices. Chrome dome or shaved bald. That's it. No styles to choose from. No personality. You have 2 choices. And that's who you have to be.