Elevators = sketchy

lonely_drummer

I have no fear of actual elevators, just if there's people in the elevator with me. It's ok if there's a friend in there and it's just us, but I just can't handle being in an elevator with someone else, someone I don't know. I will walk into a building and if there's someone waiting for the elevator I'll find a way to stall and miss it so I can just wait for the next one. I do this constantly in other everyday things like public washrooms and whatnot. Does the elevator ride with others freak you out too?

lyricalliaisons

I don't like riding in elevators with others, either. Especially because sometimes, they start talking to me & then I start trying to answer them & babbling like an idiot because I have no clue how to respond. I especially hate it if I'm already on the elevator, by myself, it stops to pick someone else up, especially if it's a bunch of people. I'm afraid of moving into an apartment soon, because I'm going to have to deal with that whenever I leave. Which, luckily in my case, won't be often.

Zav

I don't mind 'em at all. Usually people tend to be quiet on elevators anyway. I just follow suit.

Noca

Banned
I just play with my phone whenever I'm anxious and don't want to be bothered. Try that.

davidburke

I don't mind 'em at all. Usually people tend to be quiet on elevators anyway. I just follow suit.

that sums up my view too in my experience people usually keep to themselves in elevators so i don't have a problem with them

lyricalliaisons

that sums up my view too in my experience people usually keep to themselves in elevators so i don't have a problem with them

Lol that, unfortunately, hasn't been my experience with elevators. About half the time, people start talking to me. Even if it's just a simple "How are you?" it's too much for me.

Exeunt

Not much of an issue. I appreciate when strangers talk to me - even though I respond awkwardly - because I often have impulses to strike up conversations. I can't help thinking that beneath my SA is an extrovert with horrendous social skills.

Why

well if it makes u feel better, im sure 90% of the pop. feel slight discomfort in elevator rides with strangers. The worst is when its a attractive female in there for me.. i honestly dont know what to do. SHould i acknowledge her? or ignore her? Should i act busy? or bored?

i rlly dont care if its an old man in there i just ignore him lol

or another awkward situatoin, when its u + 2 random ppl that are frends and having their convos in there. I feel so awkward i wanna teleport outta there

Hellhound

Super Moderator
In that case, I turn around and don't face the people. And I stay there all quiet until they leave. Ugh... i hate it...

Exeunt

or another awkward situatoin, when its u + 2 random ppl that are frends and having their convos in there. I feel so awkward i wanna teleport outta there
So true - I hate feeling like I'm eavesdropping. It's not eavesdropping, of course, so I just tell the SA to shut up.

Attractive women I don't approach as a rule.

agoraphobickatie

well... i've been afraid of elevators ever since that episode of 'saved by the bell' where zack and prego mrs. belding got stuck in the elevator and he had to deliver her baby in there.. yep, it scarred me for life just thinking about it, hahaha

philly2bits

I have no fear of actual elevators, just if there's people in the elevator with me. It's ok if there's a friend in there and it's just us, but I just can't handle being in an elevator with someone else, someone I don't know. I will walk into a building and if there's someone waiting for the elevator I'll find a way to stall and miss it so I can just wait for the next one. I do this constantly in other everyday things like public washrooms and whatnot. Does the elevator ride with others freak you out too?

I don't mind them. The ride is short enough and most people are minding there own business. You can act preoccupied if it's really a problem. Read a newspaper or like suggested earlier play with your cell phone. After doing it a few times you may find that it's easy for you to get one with other people after all.

I am the same way with public restrooms however. It's normal to be anxious over that. It's a private matter in a public place. Most people would be uneasy with that situation.

I actually have more of an issue if I'm in an elevator alone. I'm a worst-case-scenario thinker and I always worry the elevator will get stuck and I'll be trapped in there forever. Ha

Vecis

I have elevator phobia since childhood. I am afraid I will not get out of it, get stuck or will be crushed by sliding doors. In my country there are lots of old soviet style elevators which are scary to me. I rather use leathers than elevator.