Does Physical apperance really matter to you?

Imaginary

In fact~ The outside world filled by the good looking ppl~ N if they're not, they're just a comedian clown who laughed at.

Clown

yes it really do matter if you like it or not.
With the first apperance you make unconscious or conscious a picture in your mind for what of kinda person it is.
On some people you walk to and other you just don't because of there physical apperance.
And good looking people are more likeable

Ambere

of course physical appearance does play a part in finding someone but usually that's not the first thing that I personally look at. Your appearance does really nothing to explain who you are inside. People's looks don't stay the same forever so you can't base a whole relationship off of pure looks because personality really does matter.

FriendlyShadow

yes it really do matter if you like it or not.
With the first apperance you make unconscious or conscious a picture in your mind for what of kinda person it is.
On some people you walk to and other you just don't because of there physical apperance.
And good looking people are more likeable

Not to be mean, but are you saying all good looking people are likeable? What about the people who aren't so good looking? What about the not so good looking people who have good qualities and what makes them likeable? I'm sorry, but I just want to understand why you think good looking people are more likeable.

KiaKaha

Banned
Absolutely. Appearance matters to me, and it matters to everyone else. Simply because appearance is the way that all of us determine how we percieve other people, at least at first. I get a bit irritated when people say looks dont matter...because they do, and its extremely obvious that they do.

I think the way we look is extremely important on a number of different levels - not only is it important in terms of physical attractiveness (which I also believe is mostly universal - but thats another story) but also how other people will respond to us. Whether we like to admit it or not or even aware of it, we come to all kinds of conclusions about what kind of person we are dealing with based on someones physical attributes such as their facial features, build, posture, race, age, gender, and clothing. Mixed with mannerisms and tone of voice we usually build up a picture and assume we know what we are dealing with....we ALL do this....our brains automatically try to interpret information to make sense of our environment.

For these reasons I think appearance can play a part towards discrimination, neglect and how far some people can get in life. And it goes both ways. How many physically attractive people get judged on their looks? Or assume that they are stupid, mean or shallow? How many people who are not physically attractive get ignored, overlooked or bullied?

I think to remain fair, we all must give the benefit of the doubt to people as much as we can - and try to give people a fair go before we base our opinions on the way someone looks. Its impossible to feign attraction to someone, which frustrates me but there is nothing anyone can do about that....which is why I feel for people who are very obviously unattractive....because its most likely people will struggle to become interested in them.

anyway thats what I think.

da_illest101

Yes it does. I feel bad for saying this but one of my closest friend that I get along greatly just can't turn me on since she is not my type physically. The girl i'm interested in, we don't really talk we pretty much just poke each other but holy crap her looks freeze me on sight

JonSP

Appearance plays a big part for me and it always has. I really wish it didn't because I wouldn't want to be judged on those grounds myself (the irony!) but I don't think it's something I can change.

You know it's bad when you're mates are telling you that your standards are too high! lol.

dyingtolive

whenever i see a beautiful girl thats really sweet and perfect..it makes me re evaluate my life and gives this momentum u know...

yes physical appearance can be a big deal.. i mean, i would rather be alone than be with someone is how i usually feel.. then i see this real beautiful girl and whoa, it makes me rethink things.. that i would do anything again to live happily ever after with the girl of my dreams.

Yes looks are a big deal... but personality also goes with looks. If you have both, you are blessed

polishgirl

My physical appearance does matter to me, I'm not gong to lie. I do like to look pretty and feel the glares of guys on me, however pretentious I might sound. I also don't have a problem with my looks.

But the fact that I have always attracted men with my looks have given me, oddly, a huge complex. Like my personality is not good enough for my looks. They expect this amazing, interesting, flirtatious girl that I can't be and end up being disappointed. This has caused me to feel not worthy of their attention. I'm just a disappointment, always.

And generally, I think looks do matter and they always will, no matter what some say, I'm sorry. But personality is MUCH MUCH MUCH more important. Of course, prettier people will make a better first impression but can ruin it as quickly with horrible personality (been there)... And one of the most liked and amazing people I have ever met, in all honesty, isn't even a little bit attractive. But because of her astonishing personality, she has people all around her :)

coyote

...But the fact that I have always attracted men with my looks have given me, oddly, a huge complex. Like my personality is not good enough for my looks. They expect this amazing, interesting, flirtatious girl that I can't be and end up being disappointed. This has caused me to feel not worthy of their attention. I'm just a disappointment, always...

my guess is that most men expect far less of you than you expect of yourself

THeCARS1979

Yes it does and i worry about how I look too, i was shorter and over weight. well i did gain an inch and a half and lost 30 to 35 pounds. i have thinning hair so i tend to wear hats and bandanas and grew it longer to brush it back. It probably caused a percentage of my social anxiety. Yes I know there are a lot of celebrities with the same problem including Jack Nicholson , Hulk Hogan, Bruce Willis , Charlie Sheen , Britney Spears, Stacy Fergie Ferguson has Alapecia, front man for Guns N Roses Axl Rose, Derek Jeter of the NY Yankees along with Mariano Rivera, Brett Michaels of poison, suspected- Leonardo Di Caprio, suspected - Steven Seagal , John Travolta, William Shatner from Star Trek, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwartzenneger, Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue, suspected- Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons of Kiss, Chef Gordon Ramsey was suspected of having a hair transplant. Most of these people have done something with their hair. Im going for a hair transplant in two days. I know it will work out and I will be okay

Last edited:
Like , if a girl has short hair or chubby/overweight, or if a guy had long hair or if he had glasses.

I have a girlfriend with glasses and I like her, she's clever and why not? Intelligence is sexy and looks good i think.

I mean, I'm sure not all people judge others by their appearance, but it's like some people in the world would rather have a good looking person as a mate.

Physical appearance might attract a lot, though still they end up with a real soulmate, when they realize there is way more than looks.

I mean, for example some boys would rather choose a girl with long hair over short hair because it shows feminism and that short hair makes a girl look like a guy.

Yeah that is badass, I don't like that, I like girls who are themselfes and guys who are themselfes, don't change for those majority of ' choose rather than this and that' they are highly standarded in mind... They don't know what really matters!

I really don't think that's fair because that person can't help what they look like and what if she really can't grow long hair because of health problems or something.

Defenitely, well said :)

Now, I'll admit that I used to judge people by their appearance when I was young, but now that I'm 15, I can learn to look past their physical appearance and appreciate their personality.

Most people all did, but some get wise, lol ;)

Sweetie, don't worry, all ppl judge, I wish they all just get out of that judge seat, because they are just all human and not highly standard mean judges! :D

Iluv

We are all not perfect so we shouldn't expect somebody else to be, as they shouldn't expect you to be perfect. This world is too focused on looks, everyone in the world should just go blind for a day and learn to appreciate the fact they even have eyesight in the first place. The gift of even being able to see is beautiful, we take advantage of it and start trying to direct it.
Sorry I'm rambling. It's just the people who have called me ugly in my life, I just want to go up to them and poke their eyes out.

gustavofring

I am really concious of my own appearance still. Nobody wants to be perceived as ugly or a slob. My hair has always been a bit problematic for me, as it can really make or break my appearance. As is my weight. This has of course been conditioned in my mind because of people having made negative comments about it in the past.

But I am aware and concious now of these thoughts, and why they take place, and how appearance alone is not all important to feel happy and fulfilled. In fact overly focus and obsession with them makes unhappy, no matter how good you may look to the outside world.

dyingtolive

hey TheCarrs, interesting list of celebs you posted there... Whoa i would have never thought.... But its probably true.. I mean Axl Rose did cover his scalp up with his hairstyle, his bandanas and hats.. Another artist is Daniel Johns of Silverchair. Though he didn't get a transplant, he tried to cover it up with Bandanas.

It's very difficult to make a choice to fix a part of yourself through modern methods, like in your case, a hair transplant. Some people also make fun of it, or criticize someone who does it as being vain, shallow, or having mental issues. It can be embarassing all around.

But it's just the same as someone who wanted to lose weight. People also sometimes make fun of someone who will refuse to eat fattening food. People like to make fun of people in any situation.

Last edited:

dyingtolive

I think getting over appearances is one of life's toughest tests. Also because I think it's a metaphor in a greater sense as well. We live in a world of smoke and mirrors - so much isn't what it first seems. There are many examples in life where we have to think counter intuitively if we want to see the truth and/or succeed at something. When we take things at face value, we often pay the price for it (naivety), and often the same thing happens when we only appreciate someone for their appearance.

Don't get me wrong, it's normal and natural to judge on appearance at least somewhat, and to have preferences relating to it. But we have to ask ourselves just how far we're taking it sometimes.

Yeah i agree.. and i like the way you worded it.

Waybuloo

Yes it is important to you. If you can expand physical appearance to include everything ascertainable about a person on first contact, then I would say I can't stand guys who smell too much of cologne or deodorant. I would rather smell BO to be honest. They make me get a headache. I don't like City boys and well polished lotharios. I don't like guys who work out so much their muscles bulge. I don't like guys who wear hair gel or have designer hair. I don't like extra white teeth. I like REAL men as in anything you are without being fake.

I also don't see anything wrong with girls with short hair. Charlize Theron is gorgeous and I've seen many girls who can rock the crop. Chubby can look cute and feminine depending on proportions.

Last edited:

coyote

Yes it is important to you. If you can expand physical appearance to include everything ascertainable about a person on first contact, then I would say I can't stand guys who smell too much of cologne or deodorant. I would rather smell BO to be honest. They make me get a headache. I don't like City boys and well polished lotharios. I don't like guys who work out so much their muscles bulge. I don't like guys who wear hair gel or have designer hair. I don't like extra white teeth. I like REAL men as in anything you are without being fake.

wow, it sounds like i might be perfect for you

EscapeArtist

I have been struggling to find out whether it matters for me or doesn't. For finding love, it doesn't matter at ALL(edit, sorry, let me add that they do have to look human...). It is all about energies and relation. But, what about in general, how I see people in daily life, I don't know if it does or does not, but I am working on making it not matter. I know that I myself am extremely self conscious about appearance and that's one of the main things that gives me all of my anxieties.