Does God exist?

“1. Does God exist? The complexity of our planet
but he who hates reproof is stupid.
2. Does God exist? The universe had a start - what caused it?
Scientists are convinced that our universe began with one enormous explosion of energy and light, which we now call the Big Bang. This was the singular start to everything that exists: the beginning of the universe, the start of space, and even the initial start of time itself.
okay.. I agree with u on this one.. where did the Big Bang come from, how did it start, who/what made it.. but who or what made God...

davidburke

No, no. Forget my original post. I DO NOT believe that our planet was "made" just for us. I'm a devout Atheist. I believe in Evolution. I find creationism to be extremely ignorant. I guess I just worded my first post poorly. I was asking the original poster these questions. Almost in a sarcastic way. My apologies.

i got that..i understood clearly what you were saying

Banvard's argument is more or less what I was in the process of working on when my computer crashed.

In other words, "Yeah, what he said!"

I could've wrote more - but got bored trying to explain the obvious. It's like debating if Santa Claus is real, do we really want to do that? ::p:

market.garden

The complexity of Earth's design, and the awe-inspiring intricacies of the world and the animals that inhabit it is not proof of God's existence.

It's easy to say that God is responsible for things we cannot understand. Our greatest scientific minds cannot understand the universe or nature completely, and that is because nature is so amazing, not because of some divine creation.

A rebuke to God's existence would be the massive suffering endured daily by millions.
Haiti for example - well if that is God's work and all part of his 'plan' then religious people need to rethink their image of God being a loving and compassionate and merciful deity.

Try telling a young orphan that it was God's plan to take away their parents in an earthquake, or explain to a child that he has been forcibly recruited to fight as a child soldier in the Congo as part of God's plan.

I'd be more tempted to tolerate hardcore religious belief in people if they all admitted that God, if he exists, is a cruel and sadistic bastard.

LadyWench

The complexity of Earth's design, and the awe-inspiring intricacies of the world and the animals that inhabit it is not proof of God's existence.

It's easy to say that God is responsible for things we cannot understand. Our greatest scientific minds cannot understand the universe or nature completely, and that is because nature is so amazing, not because of some divine creation.

A rebuke to God's existence would be the massive suffering endured daily by millions.
Haiti for example - well if that is God's work and all part of his 'plan' then religious people need to rethink their image of God being a loving and compassionate and merciful deity.

Try telling a young orphan that it was God's plan to take away their parents in an earthquake, or explain to a child that he has been forcibly recruited to fight as a child soldier in the Congo as part of God's plan.

I'd be more tempted to tolerate hardcore religious belief in people if they all admitted that God, if he exists, is a cruel and sadistic bastard.

Perfectly said.

JamieD

Call me crazy, but i believe in the Alien Intervention theory. It would explain a hell of a lot. The missing link in human evolution (I don't buy for a second that some small fossilised critter is the missing link just because it has fingernails) Not to mention ancient cave drawings of men in spacesuits & helmets. There's even a drawing of a rocket pointing upwards with a man sitting inside with controls! lol. What about the Nazca lines that can only be seen from the sky? They couldn't fly back then! The creation story of Adam & Eve. Sound similar to modern genetic engineering? Apparently, another civilisation came to earth, they play around with mixing their DNA with Homo-erectus DNA (cave-men) creating the Homo-Sapien. Do some research yourself, it all makes sense. One day we're cave-men in caves playing with rocks all day, then BAM we're building skyscrapers, planes, technology, all sorts. We had a 'push' from another civilisation.

Pookah

The universe is god enough for me.

I don't begrudge other people their belief systems when it is beneficial and not harmful to themselves/others. Everyone needs a good reason to live. It is only decent to let them have that without trying to convince them they are kidding themselves.

Lorraine Manca

I don't begrudge other people their belief systems when it is beneficial and not harmful to themselves/others. Everyone needs a good reason to live. It is only decent to let them have that without trying to convince them they are kidding themselves.

dead on, i think so too. i think its great that some people can get comfort from religion

Lea

Banned
No, no. Forget my original post. I DO NOT believe that our planet was "made" just for us. I'm a devout Atheist. I believe in Evolution. I find creationism to be extremely ignorant. I guess I just worded my first post poorly. I was asking the original poster these questions. Almost in a sarcastic way. My apologies.

Sorry LadyWench, I didn't get it. I think I need a break :rolleyes:.

worrywort

Hi Yohannes, I think I may be the only person so far to agree with you, but I just wanted you to know that I think you're bang on, exactly right! :) Your first two points, the teleological argument and the cosmological argument, to me are the most airtight convincing overwhelming proofs of God I've ever found, and I've been searching for 10 years. So I'd encourage you to keep looking into those two areas because they're absolute rocks to base your faith in God upon.

If you'd ever like to chat feel free to send me a private message cause I love talking about this stuff! :)

Last edited:

Bemzy

You basically nailed my point of view :)

Pookah

It is one thing to be helpful in trying to get information to someone who needs it and another to subject them to what amounts to your own belief system. Agnostic, atheist or theist.

I would like to see people offer up their opinions with a little more tact or actual concern and not scorn is all. :)

Lea

Banned
There has to be enormous intelligence behind the creation and all universe. Even if there was evolution, it doesn't exclude the fact that there is this intelligence. What is this intelligence, is it God? Too big a question for me...

Remus

Staff member
moved to off topic

any further off topic thread posted in the social anxiety forum will be deleted

da_illest101

That's something I've been wondering. If heaven is such an awesome place and religious people are sure to go there, why not just leave this sad world behind and commit suicide? One thing nature gave us was the fear of death. Belief doesn't easily just remove that. Like you said, deep down we all know the truth.

In most religion you got directly to hell if you commit suicide :rolleyes:, some religion tell you that'll go to heaven if u commit suicide for the right causes, meaning religiously wise