Does God exist?

Last edited:
No, no. Forget my original post. I DO NOT believe that our planet was "made" just for us. I'm a devout Atheist. I believe in Evolution. I find creationism to be extremely ignorant. I guess I just worded my first post poorly. I was asking the original poster these questions. Almost in a sarcastic way. My apologies.

I do that all the time - one has to jump into a creationists shoes to understand what they are getting at. I have no idea what a god should be; I just see the world I'm living in. If scientists announce they've found this intelligence, then so be it. When I say scientists, I mean proper ones, not book a month ones.

AGR

Haha, so evolution still not perfect enough to your taste.. of course it's not painless and some weaker species have to go, but that's how life is.Nature actually is OK and has self-regulating policies,
Yes if someone is driving evolution,then that to me is not perfect,they couldnt make it here(its getting a bit redundant now).

By miracle I mean for example, how flowers are created, insects, fish, animals, earth etc., human body.. Ok now you can say "oh my body isn't a miracle, I am ugly, have short penis or small boobs, and if it was a miracle, I would never get ill.." We people are pretty ungrateful sometimes :).

Yes its amazing,but not supernatural,I cannot really say I am gratefull for being alive,its more like a punishment,but that is another story...

Banvard, if your brain is a result of some random messy lottery game, how come it's so perfect that it knows the truth about the universe, isn't it a miracle?

By this logic a creator would have to be much more amazing and would have to have a more amazing creator and so on and on.

Lea

Banned
To Adriano: That's the same as if you said, rain is wrong because you don't like it. But rain is needed for the plants to grow and endless other things, it might be unpleasant if we get wet but if it didn't rain, we would have nothing to drink, no water to wash clothes etc. One of the rules of this world is, no pain, no gain. Besides, there have to be opposites because otherwise this world COULDN'T exist at all. There has to be "good" and "bad", yin and yang, heat and cold, black and white etc. Without one there couldn't be the other, without darkness there couldn't be light and so on. These opposites are polarities, one side is "positive" and other "negative". But the negative side is also needed, and is not wrong. Wrong is what people made of it. People are the ones who deviated from nature and it's laws, because they have FREE WILL. Some people complain that God is bad because it gave free will to the people. Hm I don't know. In any case, since we have it, it's us who are fully responsible, and we cannot blame God for what we do wrong.

Maybe even the biblical story of Adam and Eve is true, God made them live in paradise and provided them everything they needed. But Eve decided to disobey and ate the forbidden apple which brought also the negatives to their life. Now they didn't live purely in bliss, they had to begin to suffer as well, had to earn everything, nothing came to them free. Eve decided they would have free will, so from then on people carry responsibility for what they do. Perhaps Worrywort the expert on God could explain better? :) I guess, our free will and existence here is unique and has some purpose, most probably it is evolution of our souls towards greater maturity, knowledge and love, so that in the end we "return back to God", back to our home, where we came from.

As for the extinct species who haven't made it until here, so they haven't who cares? Why should it be wrong, only people give to the things negative connotations. They weren't needed anymore so they got extinct. But why should it be "wrong"? And strange, you complain about extinct species, but what about pigs and cows and chicken and who knows what, we kill them every single day, millions in the whole world, and eat them. They don't extinct as a species because new ones are born, but their bodies extinct every day in order that we eat them up. THE NATURE CONSIST OF ONE PERMANENT RECYCLATION, every minute, every day. The water recycles, rubbish, plants, bodies, and just EVERYTHING. So it's not only some extinct species. Plus I didn't say any humanoid being drives the evolution, I just said it must be a pretty intelligent program, which it is. I don't know where it originates from, but it IS intelligent.

Last edited:

AGR

Thats it I give in :D,if I were to answer that we would just be going around a circle.

Lea

Banned
Hm, I got negative rep for my last post, so thanks to whoever gave it to me. If I even know what I believe? I can believe what I want and what seems right to me, is there anything wrong with that? But you're right, I am stupid enough that I take my time and try to explain my thoughts, it has no sense apart from getting atacked and ridiculed so I'm not going to post here again.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
An unsigned red dot is the act of a coward who doesn't believe in their stance strongly enough to defend it. Really not worth paying attention to.

Thats it I give in :D,if I were to answer that we would just be going around a circle.

Congrats - You don't have to prove anything, the burden of proof is on whoever claims an outlandish idea. As I said before, outside the the universe is the wild west of imagination, and you could spend your whole life refuting everything they throw at you. Sometimes it's like trying to teach kids there's no Santa Claus; depends how old they are. Most will be resilient to any form of proof against the idea of Santa Claus, you just have to concede and let them have it.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Your work is over? What was your intention? Was it just a competition?

Ah no way, I didn't mean it that way at all. What I meant was simply, that I was glad I don't need to reply and explain things anymore, it was getting tiring so I was happy.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
created the evolution, or how was the evolution set in motion? It seems to be a very intelligent program. I don't understand how someone can believe this process to be totally random and coincidental.

This is a common misconception that really irks me. Evolution is absolutely not random or coincidental. Nor does there need to be a consciousness behind it. If those two facts seem irreconcilable, I strongly suggest you read up on precisely what evolution is and how it works.

Complex creatures don't simply fall together haphazardly, and they damned sure don't come about overnight. The sheer time scales involved are enough to stagger our tiny human minds.

This is a common misconception that really irks me. Evolution is absolutely not random or coincidental. Nor does there need to be a consciousness behind it. If those two facts seem irreconcilable, I strongly suggest you read up on precisely what evolution is and how it works.

Complex creatures don't simply fall together haphazardly, and they damned sure don't come about overnight. The sheer time scales involved are enough to stagger our tiny human minds.

Within natural selection, it is not completely random - it's a system that likes to adapt to the changing environment. There's like 10 to 100 million species on the planet, and there are many variations of species that share genes with the same ancestors. Randomness plays its part - especially the changing planet that sets off some of the mutations, over the millions of years.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Yes, there is a random element to evolution. But people confuse that with evolution itself being random, which it is not. It's one of the reasons people decide that evolution could not be true.

Yes, there is a random element to evolution. But people confuse that with evolution itself being random, which it is not. It's one of the reasons people decide that evolution could not be true.

Can we say that an act of randomness set of the process of evolution? It then kind of sorted itself out, turning into a complex system? Sometimes complex systems don't work, like a computers. There's always that chance that it'll break away from the current system, and just not work. If something doesn't work, is that randomness or part of the system again? My head's going to explode. ::p:

davidburke

evolution can be seen as random in a way i suppose meaning there is no set goal or way it should turn but assuming we are talking about natural selection(of course computers, technology, mountains,surface of the planet etc evolve in some sence) which is not random, the traits that are passed on are the traits which help the organism to best survive so its not random at all

Pookah

I have questions that google can't answer.

What is the significance behind our ability to sing?

Is space infinite in all directions or a finitely dimensioned loop...which is expanding? What is outside of that then?

I like this entry because I wanted to know how life can arise from inorganic matter.
Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could the sun be alive?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
What is the significance behind our ability to sing?
I've often wondered about that, and why/how music has such an effect on the emotions.
Is space infinite in all directions or a finitely dimensioned loop...which is expanding? What is outside of that then?
According to current theory, finite but boundless though apparently not curved in the larger sense. Even though it should be curved. Could be a measurement fault. And outside our universe, our "m-brane", are an infinite number of other universes. As far as the best minds can figure. Of course they're not outside in the sense that a room is outside a box--that's 3 dimensional thinking. M-brane theory is 11 dimensional, with the other universes outside that. And it's still unproven; just a really good explanation.
I like this entry because I wanted to know how life can arise from inorganic matter.
Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We can see evidence of life on earth going back to pretty much as soon as it cooled enough to support life. That implies that under the right conditions, abiogenesis may be more inevitable than a freak chance.

Last I heard, there are 3 teams working right now to create (really, really simple) life from scratch. I'd like to think at least one will succeed in my lifetime.

I find this subject really fascinating.
Could the sun be alive?
Well, it doesn't fit any of the classic characteristics of life. It can't metabolize, reproduce, etc.