Does God exist?

Why does there have to be a creator? Why can't the universe be just as unanswerable as your god? You ask what this intelligence is, well, what if it's creators not a creator? If this intelligence lives outside our universe - hope its comfortable - what supports it? It must be bound by some multivers law, because like some here believe, there has to be creation to start something, and our own law is written by a creator. So this law applies to the place where the creator resides. Maybe you should be asking whether your god believes in another god? You can dismiss what I just said, but if god created intelligence in this universe, then we might be based on its biology or energy and its reasoning. If god knows to questions things, then he will question his own existence. This will lead to an infinite regress, where creator's are many - why not make it simple and take the middle god out of it?

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Call me crazy, but i believe in the Alien Intervention theory. It would explain a hell of a lot. The missing link in human evolution (I don't buy for a second that some small fossilised critter is the missing link just because it has fingernails) Not to mention ancient cave drawings of men in spacesuits & helmets. There's even a drawing of a rocket pointing upwards with a man sitting inside with controls! lol. What about the Nazca lines that can only be seen from the sky? They couldn't fly back then! The creation story of Adam & Eve. Sound similar to modern genetic engineering? Apparently, another civilisation came to earth, they play around with mixing their DNA with Homo-erectus DNA (cave-men) creating the Homo-Sapien. Do some research yourself, it all makes sense. One day we're cave-men in caves playing with rocks all day, then BAM we're building skyscrapers, planes, technology, all sorts. We had a 'push' from another civilisation.

And how was the another civilisation created? Did they have help from another civilization? And this one, from yet another? I think this might be true, but it still doesn't explain the start.

planemo

Why do people worship a god they cannot see? Why not worship the sun? It's up there in space, it's the centre of the solar system, it gives you life, it created life, you can see it, it doesn't command you, just watches over you. :)

Because you can't see God does not mean He does not exist. I can't see you and you can't see me, but we both exist. You can't see Jupiter at this moment but you know it is out there somewhere. And lets use the Sun as another example. How long can an average human look directly at the Sun (at its peak). A few seconds or less maybe. And it is scientifically proven that there are Suns millions of times brighter than our own. My point is, if you can barely gaze at the Sun without some discomfort, how could you possibly look at God, the Creator of the entire Universe?

I understand that I'm probably in the minority because I do believe there is a God. That's fine, but I hope one can see that seeing isn't always Believing.

Because you can't see God does not mean He does not exist. I can't see you and you can't see me, but we both exist. You can't see Jupiter at this moment but you know it is out there somewhere. And lets use the Sun as another example. How long can an average human look directly at the Sun (at its peak). A few seconds or less maybe. And it is scientifically proven that there are Suns millions of times brighter than our own. My point is, if you can barely gaze at the Sun without some discomfort, how could you possibly look at God, the Creator of the entire Universe?

I understand that I'm probably in the minority because I do believe there is a God. That's fine, but I hope one can see that seeing isn't always Believing.

"Because you can't see God does not mean He does not exist."

Yeah, just like you can't see Hades.

"I can't see you and you can't see me, but we both exist."

Can you see my Avatar? I'm directly talking to you - maybe we can get god in on this conversation?

"You can't see Jupiter at this moment but you know it is out there somewhere."

I've seen Jupiter through a telescope, so I've seen it and I don't need faith to believe in it.

"And lets use the Sun as another example. How long can an average human look directly at the Sun (at its peak). A few seconds or less maybe. And it is scientifically proven that there are Suns millions of times brighter than our own. My point is, if you can barely gaze at the Sun without some discomfort, how could you possibly look at God, the Creator of the entire Universe?"

Soho Telescope? Eclipse of the sun? Shadows on the ground? Daytime? Sunrise, Sunset?

"I understand that I'm probably in the minority because I do believe there is a God. That's fine, but I hope one can see that seeing isn't always Believing."

Let me know if you happen to see my pink unicorn running about, he got away.

Last edited:

planemo

"Because you can't see God does not mean He does not exist."

Yeah, just like you can't see Hades.

"I can't see you and you can't see me, but we both exist."

Can you see my Avatar? I'm directly talking to you - maybe we can get god in on this conversation?

"You can't see Jupiter at this moment but you know it is out there somewhere."

I've seen Jupiter through a telescope, so I've seen it and I don't need faith to believe in it.

"And lets use the Sun as another example. How long can an average human look directly at the Sun (at its peak). A few seconds or less maybe. And it is scientifically proven that there are Suns millions of times brighter than our own. My point is, if you can barely gaze at the Sun without some discomfort, how could you possibly look at God, the Creator of the entire Universe?"

Soho Telescope? Eclipse of the sun? Shadows on the ground? Daytime? Sunrise, Sunset?

"I understand that I'm probably in the minority because I do believe there is a God. That's fine, but I hope one can see that seeing isn't always Believing."

Let me know if you happen to see my pink unicorn running about, he got away.

Well you can't see me in my avatar. So if I use your reasoning it means I don't exist.

I haven't seen Jupiter myself, so I guess my faith is what I rely on.

I did specify the sun at it's peak (zennith).

Look I tried to get my point across in a dignified manner. I'm not one for confrontation, so I'll stop here, but just because I look at things differently from you doesn't mean I'm some type of idiot.

market.garden

Religious belief is fine if it gives you comfort and it's not mixed with politics.

What bugs me about religion of any kind is:

Missionaries: Keep it to yourself. There was a group of Korean Christians who got captured by al-Qaeda in Iraq. Dreadful, but their self importance and 'I must educate the blind' attitude got them into that kind of trouble.

The "proof" of God's existence. There isn't any. It's faith. Saying "Well I believe in God because I just feel it in my heart/soul" is totally understandable - but thinking the sun rising, or the making of a baby, or the perfect positioning of Earth is proof of a God doesn't make any sense.
Why couldn't God make us fireproof? Or immune to freezing conditions?

Above all though, is the argument of some believers that God has a plan for everyone. After seeing all the terrible things that happen to the innocent, how can one still call him merciful and loving. It's the equivalent of running away - can't explain why he is so cruel so just say "Umm....I'm sure he knows what he's doing."

(This isn't directed at anyone in particular on this forum. To each their own etc, I just think there is no proof of "Him" at all - and perhaps that's the point, there is no need to look for proof if it is a belief system after all)

yohannes

I can see most people don't believe there is a God. I can see why most people won't believe in God even though they them self are a miracle.
I was brought up with a very religious background I was a protestant. I went with my family to church twice a week prayed and worship. I believe in the bible completely and to question the bible was in itself was a sin.
When my social phobia started to intensify I used to ask God for help. When no answer came I started to get angry with the lord. I was wondering why he isn’t helping me “I was a good Christian and a good person” why is this happening to me. After a while I just stopped believing there was a God.
I started to question the bible and many things in the bible simply didn’t make sense. I gave up on the old belief of heaven and hell I completely wipe my brain from the old believe. Then I finally started to realized that God is actually is more complicated than what the bible teaches.
There is hundreds of religion that tries to tell us that they are right they know what God wants from us. They try to impose on us we only will go to heaven if we believe in Christ or the prophet Mohammed. To be honest we don’t know what happen after we die no one has come from the dead. So, I don’t know what happen after I die and I am ok with that. I don’t associate myself with any religion or try to tell you I am right that there is a God. The only way that you will know God is through questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by market.garden
The complexity of Earth's design, and the awe-inspiring intricacies of the world and the animals that inhabit it is not proof of God's existence.

It's easy to say that God is responsible for things we cannot understand. Our greatest scientific minds cannot understand the universe or nature completely, and that is because nature is so amazing, not because of some divine creation.

A rebuke to God's existence would be the massive suffering endured daily by millions.
Haiti for example - well if that is God's work and all part of his 'plan' then religious people need to rethink their image of God being a loving and compassionate and merciful deity.

Try telling a young orphan that it was God's plan to take away their parents in an earthquake, or explain to a child that he has been forcibly recruited to fight as a child soldier in the Congo as part of God's plan.

I'd be more tempted to tolerate hardcore religious belief in people if they all admitted that God, if he exists, is a cruel and sadistic bastard.

Maybe your suffering has leaded you to believe there is no God. How can God let good people suffer? It is hard most of us didn’t do anyone nor did wicked things to suffer through Social Phobia. Most of us are very good people so why does God allows us to continue to suffer? We might believe that we are the only one that had suffer many people suffer in this world. People are born blind, crippled, and physically disfigure. What I am trying to say is that everyone in their life will have tragic thing that will occur in their life. God doesn’t specifically choose you to suffer. The rain lands on the good and wicked person it doesn’t choose one. Take this example a mother take care of her child until he is a certain age and after that she let him go. When the boy is out in the world he might face difficulty like he might have not enough money or he might not have shelter. Why would the mother do that? She does these things so that he can grow and expand his knowledge about the world. If she shelters him from the entire bad thing from the world he will be a child all his life. He won’t be able to take care of his kids or even get married. People that go through great tragedies and deal with the tragedy the right way often become very strong individuals.
You can’t simply dismiss God because bad thing happen to people or even to you. Accept that life is pain and joy.

AGR

There has to be enormous intelligence behind the creation and all universe. Even if there was evolution, it doesn't exclude the fact that there is this intelligence. What is this intelligence, is it God? Too big a question for me...

Why there has to be?
religious people argue that the universe,earth,sun or whatever is so complex,yet their answer for its origings its to come up with something much more complex right at the start,makes no sense ,its like !#$%BAM!@# right at the start we have the most complex thing ever,that goes agaisnt everything we all have seen,some things we just cant know,at least for now...

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Why there has to be?
religious people argue that the universe,earth,sun or whatever is so complex,yet their answer for its origings its to come up with something much more complex right at the start,makes no sense ,its like !#$%BAM!@# right at the start we have the most complex thing ever,that goes agaisnt everything we all have seen,some things we just cant know,at least for now...

I didn't say that the world was created right in the appearance it has today if that's what you mean. There probably was evolution as there is evolution now, in everything and in every one's lives. But who created the evolution, or how was the evolution set in motion? It seems to be a very intelligent program. I don't understand how someone can believe this process to be totally random and coincidental.

AGR

I didn't say that the world was created right in the appearance it has today if that's what you mean. There probably was evolution as there is evolution now, in everything and in every one's lives. But who created the evolution, or how was the evolution set in motion? It seems to be a very intelligent program. .

Well that I cant answer ,but it doesnt need to be a who to me seems like not very intelligent program,like 99 % of the species couldnt make it here,most of the space and planets are useless and unhabited.

I don't understand how someone can believe this process to be totally random and coincidental.
If there was a chance of happening,after so many tries and empty space and planets there was a bound to be one planet who could have life,doesnt mean we are special, its not the perfect analogy,but to me its like playing the lotery,its unlikely I will win, but there is a chance someone will win,doesnt make him special,its just that there was a chance,so someone could win eventually.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Just a thought: I think many people talk and argue about "God", but they don't have an idea what it is. Or everybody thinks something else. Usually people think of God as some superhuman being up on the cloud who is supposed to fulfill every our egoistical wish. But I would rather think the opposite. We are here in this human form in order to grow out of our egoism, throw it away and become independent of our ego - that means our addictions, greed, everything that is centered on ourselves. Which is almost our whole being and lives.. We attempt to do exactly this, to satisfy our egos. We should learn to not to cling on to what we like, forgive, give things away instead of hoarding it for ourselves etc. I know myself it's very hard to turn life around like this, but I still believe this it the answer. By practicing this, we will gradually come close to understanding what "God" is... It's like.. we can't eat the cake and have it at the same time, one of it must go.. we can't see clearly or understand what God is if we are still "full of ego", we are unable to see the truth in this state. Only by throwing this away, growing out of this by practice, stop seing ourselves and our lives as the centre of universe (after all we are not, our bodies are desperately shortlived, subject to pain and decay so if we hang on it too much we will never be trully and lastingly happy), our mind will become emptier and clearer to receive the proper understanding. Now you can argue with what I said but it will have no sense untill you purify your soul, otherwise it's just a talking which leads nowhere, haha.

Probably most of us are not yet in the state, on the level of spiritual maturity to be able to properly understand what God is, and so I think it doesn't even make sense to seek for theories. We might find the most intelligent theories, but still they will be only theories, unable to be verified. But there is also the heart besides of mind. No I don't mean blind belief or superficial emotionality. We will just somehow become in touch with the universal mind (God), and then we will understand. We will just live it, now, and there will be no more need to endlessly look for answers and theories.

Edit: Sorry if I sound like a preacher sometimes, it's also that I'm struggling with my English and it's hard for me to find the right words...

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Well that I cant answer ,but it doesnt need to be a who to me seems like not very intelligent program,like 99 % of the species couldnt make it here,most of the space and planets are useless and unhabited.

If there was a chance of happening,after so many tries and empty space and planets there was a bound to be one planet who could have life,doesnt mean we are special, its not the perfect analogy,but to me its like playing the lotery,its unlikely I will win, but there is a chance someone will win,doesnt make him special,its just that there was a chance,so someone could win eventually.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying... "it doesn't need to be a who, "to me seems like not very intelligent program"... maybe I said "who", but it doesn't need to be taken literally because of course I didn't mean some humanform God. To you it doesn't seem an intelligent program :confused:, this is incredible really, and why, just because other planets are uninhabited and "useless"? Useless from which point of view, ours? Like I said before (even when I got wrong the LadyWench's message), some people tend to think everything in the universe is supposed here to be for them and serve them, that's ridiculous because what are we, it's us who is ridiculous, little specks of dust and we think we are so important. But if you already want to think this way, I would rather say the mistake isn't that other planets are uninhabited, but, that this one is :). Maybe it would be a nicer job of the "God" if he didn't create life at all, or not? Life causes only problems. But how the hell can someone deny life is a miracle, there are miracles in every detail, every day. And yet we fail to see it or regard it as something very boring, common and "obvious".

Last edited:

AGR

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying... "it doesn't need to be a who, "to me seems like not very intelligent program"... maybe I said "who", but it doesn't need to be taken literally because of course I didn't mean some humanform God.
By saying intelligence behind,means a conscious something,I am only saying the cause doesnt need to be this.

To you it doesn't seem an intelligent program :confused:, this is incredible really, and why, just because other planets are uninhabited and "useless"? Useless from which point of view, ours?
Most of the species that existed are extinct,they couldnt make it here,doesnt look very intelligent,to me that would be a failure,unless if someone was driving evolution,maybe he got bored of them and said ,hey lets kill them off,or he kicked started evolution then went to sleep,leaving everybody to fend for themselves?
Then he wouldnt matter,because he wouldnt have influence here now.
I cant really see the point of creating so many planets,yet the vast marjority are unhabitable,but maybe he has something in mind that I wouldnt know....

But how the hell can someone deny life is a miracle, there are miracles in every detail, every day. And yet we fail to see it or regard it as something very boring, common and "obvious".
Depends what you say by miracle,if its beautiful,then yes I agree it can be sometimes,if you mean supernatural,then no, I dont agree right now.

Lea

Banned
Haha, so evolution still not perfect enough to your taste.. of course it's not painless and some weaker species have to go, but that's how life is. Nature actually is OK and has self-regulating policies, untill people infested this planet. Now nothing works as is supposed to, people destroy this planet and make species extinct because of their overpopulation and greed.

By miracle I mean for example, how flowers are created, insects, fish, animals, earth etc., human body.. Ok now you can say "oh my body isn't a miracle, I am ugly, have short penis or small boobs, and if it was a miracle, I would never get ill.." We people are pretty ungrateful sometimes :).

“There has to be enormous intelligence behind the creation and all universe. Even if there was evolution, it doesn't exclude the fact that there is this intelligence. What is this intelligence, is it God? Too big a question for me...”

Why does everything have to have a creator? I’m wondering if you’re trying to understand the universe in terms of how something intelligent would perceive it. A painting has a painter – but we already know that. If I took a picture of the moon, did I create the moon? It would look nice hanging on any wall, so perfect, but the moon was created out of randomness. If you know the question is far too big to answer, then your attempt at explaining what’s outside the universe is lacking. Why not just take an interest in the observable universe, instead of bogging it down with unsupportable evidence. Scientists look to the universe itself to understand how it was created. If they find something pointing to a creator, then you’re quite right to be on here claiming evidence of a god.

“I didn't say that the world was created right in the appearance it has today if that's what you mean. There probably was evolution as there is evolution now, in everything and in every one's lives. But who created the evolution, or how was the evolution set in motion? It seems to be a very intelligent program. I don't understand how someone can believe this process to be totally random and coincidental.”

What created the evolution? Who created the thing that created the evolution? Evolution is a system amongst many more systems in the universe, and it’s not perfect. A googol is a very large number; ten to the one hundred I think. To write a googol would require more space than the universe could hold. Let’s say the number 10000 is life right here on Earth and 12304 is another kind of life form somewhere else in the universe. Our evolution program might be more specific to earth, and another program might be specific to another type of life. Evolution might fail more than it succeeds – but with a huge number like a googol, it’s likely to happen somewhere in the universe, and be different all the time.

“Just a thought: I think many people talk and argue about "God", but they don't have an idea what it is. Or everybody thinks something else. Usually people think of God as some superhuman being up on the cloud who is supposed to fulfill every our egoistical wish. But I would rather think the opposite. We are here in this human form in order to grow out of our egoism, throw it away and become independent of our ego - that means our addictions, greed, everything that is centered on ourselves. Which is almost our whole being and lives.. We attempt to do exactly this, to satisfy our egos. We should learn to not to cling on to what we like, forgive, give things away instead of hoarding it for ourselves etc. I know myself it's very hard to turn life around like this, but I still believe this it the answer. By practicing this, we will gradually come close to understanding what "God" is... It's like.. we can't eat the cake and have it at the same time, one of it must go.. we can't see clearly or understand what God is if we are still "full of ego", we are unable to see the truth in this state. Only by throwing this away, growing out of this by practice, stop seing ourselves and our lives as the centre of universe (after all we are not, our bodies are desperately shortlived, subject to pain and decay so if we hang on it too much we will never be trully and lastingly happy), our mind will become emptier and clearer to receive the proper understanding. Now you can argue with what I said but it will have no sense untill you purify your soul, otherwise it's just a talking which leads nowhere, haha.”

You seem to have a fairly good idea as to what god did, without having an idea as to what god is. I’m quite happy to learn about the universe, to find out what’s going on inside it. Outside the universe is just the wild west of the imagination.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Banvard, if your brain is a result of some random messy lottery game, how come it's so perfect that it knows the truth about the universe, isn't it a miracle?

Last edited:
Banvard, if your brain is a result of some random messy lottery game, how come it's so perfect that it knows the truth about the universe, isn't it a miracle?

Try to draw a perfect circle by hand; no tricks - when you think it's a perfect circle, ask that same question of me again.

Last edited:
Last edited: