Does God exist?

My mom is a Christian, my dad is nothing. Agnostic maybe? Isn't that when you just don't care either way? Not really an atheist, I don't think he knows and I don't think he thinks about it that much. I've never asked him, but if I did ask him if there was a God, I have a feeling he'd say "I don't know". But he's always been respectful of my mom and her beleifs.

I became a Christian when I was 17 :)

how come/ what were your reasons?

Emily_G

ʞɹɐqʎǝʞɐןɟ;265855 said:
how come/ what were your reasons?

In short, I realized how much Jesus did for me on the cross and how badly I was living my life. I wanted to thank Him for what He did by loving, serving, and obeying Him. And I've tried my best from then on :) The Biblical term for this heart-change is being "born-again" or "Saved". I didn't know those terms at the time, I didn't really think about anything besides trying to live my life in a way that pleased God.

DarkSeeker

And Santa is Satan is you mix the letters around. I find it hillarious when people use that as a reason why Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas ::p::rolleyes:

Haaa! good one, I didn't see it coming at all. Coincidentally I always thought Santa Claus was the Devil though. Particularly when I found out that he was actually my father trying to pass out as a generous old man.

At any rate, getting more into the topic I would say that I believe in a higher power, but unlike most religious people on earth, I don't believe in a highest power. God's gonna die of a stroke when he finds out that there are powers in this universe much greater than he.

worrywort

Heck, I could go outside and stand there for a while and feel an immense feeling of peace. Many religious people may attribute that to god telling them that he's there or something of the sort. That's not god though. It's the wind and the air and the sight of nature and everything that goes with that. So for me the choice isn't to believe or not to believe because there is nothing else to believe. A religious explanation doesn't factor in for me.
yea I'm like that too. I find it hard to believe God is communicating to me in everyday things. Like if I felt something strange in my chest I'd probably just assume I ate something funny! I take a lot more convincing. For me it's when there are almighty coincidences or events that defy massive odds that get me thinking. But then Im not sure supernatural events and stories are always the best way to convince someone that God exists, because it all depends on a persons already formed worldview. i.e. if you already believe that God doesn't exist, then even the most miraculous event which defies incredible odds will always be more likely explained in naturalistic terms than by positing the existence of a higher power. But if you've built up good reason to believe that God exists, the miraculous is far more easy to believe. Although I've always felt like that logic is flawed. It'd be like believing that aliens don't exist, and then receiving a message from outer space that defies all odds, but then concluding, well, aliens don't exist so this message can't be from aliens. Because aliens don't exist it will always be far more likely that the message has a non-alien explanation. Which is like saying, aliens don't exist, therefore this evidence that suggests aliens might exist can't be true because aliens don't exist!
When people believe in their religion and it's a personal experience for them, then that's great. But when it gets political and when they start judging people outside of themselves and trying to change people and the world in a forceful way, and when there's nothing to change, annnnd when it's used as a tool to influence innocent and impressionable people then that's when I can't stand it..
yea I agree, although I think there's a line to be drawn. Lots of people have different beliefs and most are pretty sure that their own views are right. But if you believe you've found the truth then I think you should tell other people about it. It'd be like believing you've found the cure for cancer then keeping it to yourself. This is one of my current problems. I've never been so convinced of Gods existence than I have this past year and all I want to do is tell the entire world about it but it's so frustrating because nobody seems to want to hear my reasons and I have to respect people's free will, and I think this is where the line should be drawn, infront of the other persons free will. I think the other person should always have the right to say thanks, but no thanks, and for that to be the end of it. Unfortunately that line can become blurred and get crossed a bit too easily sometimes.