Does anyone else feel stupid?

cocorose

Sometimes I feel like I am just really stupid. I know I am smart in some ways.. but because I can't communicate effectively, or have normal conversations with people, I just feel like a total idiot. I feel like I don't know even simple things that I should know. I also have a really bad memory and I can't remember simple things, because when I am nervous it's like my brain just shuts down and I can't process information. If someone asks me something, I can't even seem to form the answer in my head, and I just sound like a blabbering idiot. It's like there's some kind of a block.

selon

I know exactly how you feel :( It's awful. The worst thing is the look on people's face when they go "what's wrong with her?" in their head. When I see that look I start to blush and from then on, it goes downhill. :sad:

Rawz

I'm pretty stupid/ignorant. School didn't work out for me. I have trying to change this and hopefully I will be successful.

Richey

Only if i'm interacting with really arrogant, egotistical types who sort of exert and project their smugness of knowledge in a really downgrading way. But even if its someone nice who seems to know everything, it does make me feel like my general knowledge is lacking, see, some people learn well depending on their environment. some people are fine with classroom learning, others like me were in a panic of self consciousness in the classroom so i wasn't relaxed, so learning in that environment was a struggle. some people are also better at visual learning then verbal learning.

so lots of reasons this can happen. however i know more about certain things that others may not know about, the problem is just general knowledge. people seem to know alot about history and politics, i don't know much about either.

doesn't mean you are dumb, just means the perception given the topic can make you feel dumb. there will be people out there are just like you, have knowledge of niche things but may no know alot about cliched things.

ImNotMyIllness

That was hard to watch. Poor thing. One benefit of discovering that I have social anxiety is having a better understanding of why people behave and do the things that they do. A year ago, I would have thought of her as stupid. Now, I understand how anxiety interferes with thinking. I'm sure she is a very smart girl and would answer the question better if she had more time and wasn't under so much scrutiny.

Flanscho

Depends on who I compare myself with. I have decent programming skills and speak several languages fluently, so I guess I'm not a complete idiot. At the same time, I'm too stupid to study at the university or make a decent amount of money.

selon

I think it's less about being stupid (what exactly is stupid anyway, intelligence is not that easily defined) and more about feeling stupid, which then creeps into your behavior.

PGT

I find it hard to put across into words what am thinking when I meet new people or groups of people. I get frustrated when this happens and that only makes things worse. My short term memory also sucks big time but my long term is fine. I can remember things from years ago with no problem, not sure why that is.

cocorose

Only if i'm interacting with really arrogant, egotistical types who sort of exert and project their smugness of knowledge in a really downgrading way. But even if its someone nice who seems to know everything, it does make me feel like my general knowledge is lacking, see, some people learn well depending on their environment. some people are fine with classroom learning, others like me were in a panic of self consciousness in the classroom so i wasn't relaxed, so learning in that environment was a struggle. some people are also better at visual learning then verbal learning.

so lots of reasons this can happen. however i know more about certain things that others may not know about, the problem is just general knowledge. people seem to know alot about history and politics, i don't know much about either.

doesn't mean you are dumb, just means the perception given the topic can make you feel dumb. there will be people out there are just like you, have knowledge of niche things but may no know alot about cliched things.

Definately things like history and politics I feel like I don't know anything and definately couldn't hold a conversation.. I feel like I don't even know what my opinion on things are?

Geo

That was hard to watch. Poor thing. One benefit of discovering that I have social anxiety is having a better understanding of why people behave and do the things that they do. A year ago, I would have thought of her as stupid. Now, I understand how anxiety interferes with thinking. I'm sure she is a very smart girl and would answer the question better if she had more time and wasn't under so much scrutiny.
I know! I had to pause the video and throw my face into my hands. It's just that with these kinds of people you can't tell if they're just plain stupid or actually have anxiety.

jaim38

I do things quickly and think better when I'm alone, or in a sparsely populated place. But when I'm surrounded by people, I get very nervous and make a fool out of myself many times that people think I'm stupid. So I guess it depends on the environment. I learn better at home than at a classroom.

Sometimes. Looking back on one of my High School classes, Speech, I just feel so dumb. The entirety of the class was doing presentations, which wasn't that big of a deal, but thinking about the topics I chose and how I explained certain things just really bothers me. It's really a pain, because the teacher of the class was the coolest I've ever met, but I can't stand the idea of seeing her again.

In college, I had a government class. It was alright, but I never raised my hand to say anything. One time, there was an in-class group assignment where I actually had to speak to the professor. It was torture. Every time I said something, he made me feel like an absolute idiot. Kind of a d-bag. That was the last time I went to that class.

KiaKaha

Banned
No one is stupid - but sometimes I think people are driven by too much ego and lack common sense and manners.

My favourite quote from Albert Einstein

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

drganon

Sometimes I feel pretty smart, but other times I feel pretty stupid. I usually feel stupid when I later realize I completely misjudged a social situation that at the time I didn't realize I was screwing up. I've found the best away to avoid this is just to keep my mouth shut.

On an intellectual level I feel average, despite some people keep telling me I'm "very smart". But on how I face life and react to many things, I consider myself EXTREMELY stupid.

IntheLabyrinth

I know! I had to pause the video and throw my face into my hands. It's just that with these kinds of people you can't tell if they're just plain stupid or actually have anxiety.

I think in her case it's stupidity. I know I couldn't handle tons of people staring at me so I find it hard to believe that models have social anxiety. She probably gets attention for acting all ditzy so she has become the caricature she has portrayed. Or maybe I am just being cynical, and she just had a moment of panic and couldn't think straight. I guess some video of previous responses could solve this mystery.

IntheLabyrinth

I always feel stupid when I can't think of answers to simple questions like what my favorite movie or food is. I know the answers but I get a mental block when someone else asks me. I am probably at the top of the bell curve when it comes to intelligence.