do you have anxiety when you speak to a person face to face?

exquisite

im just wondering, do most of you get anxiety when speaking to someone face to face? because im curious, how would you guys feel about skype?

philly2bits

Back when we had the old skype chat here I didn't say too much. Not because of anxiety but because I had nothing to say, just like in person.

exquisite

oops, sorry, i meant *just* talking face to face. like, sitting next to the person. or is it phone conversations too.

Kiwong

It's only face to face that I have real trouble with.

Phone I'm Ok with. I don't use chat much. I communicate well with words, words are my way of communicating with the world.

Tiercel

I get anxious whenever I communicate with anyone. Obviously some people and types of people make me more anxious than others, but it's almost always there to some extent.

I've never triedg skype, but I do get anxious with people when talking face to face... I get anxious on the phone too... something about "being over the internet" that doesn't seem that scary to me... perhaps I'm used to interacting so much with people (through text) online for so many years that it doesn't make me that anxious.... I actually look forward to meeting someone through skype, though Im sure it'll make me a little anxious, but not as much as if that person was next to me...

DekKO

Depends on who it is. I do have the eye contact problem when talking to anyone even if it is my mom.

Tiercel

Oh, I just remembered that I forgot to mention that Skype loses some of its luster when one has neither a mic nor a camera. So if someone else has one or both of these I'd feel like a bit of a disappointment.

Because there's so much more to me than just the keys my fingers press. :rolleyes:

Mokkat

I am a lot more anxious when talking directly face to face with people, but au contraire, Im highly avoidant and paranoid about calling someone on the phone, over the internet, in a game, etc.

staticreflex

im just wondering, do most of you get anxiety when speaking to someone face to face? because im curious, how would you guys feel about skype?

Usually I have trouble with people that I already know, total strangers I feel ok with which is kind of weird I think, so skyping someone new that I have never met before is usually alright

IamThisOne

If I am at work I feel fine talking to people as long as it is about work. Then I feel like I am at control. Now if they want to "casually converse" then I get anxious, as well as if the boss wants to talk.

In a "social situation" I get anxious and never have anything to say. I tend to get the feeling that people never listen when I speak anyway-especially my family.

Sometimes I someone will ask me what my name is and I squeeze out the words and ask them what theirs is. After that, I usually turn around and walk away. Ultra awkward.

jco3

I'm really weird in a way that I'm usually perfectly fine with talking to someone face-to-face, or just alone. It's the leading up to the face-to-face that tends to drive me up the wall.

EDIT: I do have trouble talking in groups of people with a single person. But if it is just me and one other person I seem to do pretty well, I've even impressed myself a few times.

Kinetik

For me, the phone is my biggest problem. I'm fine with talking to people I know on it, but if I have to call a company or something, it's pretty bad. If I can't get out of said phone call, I sometimes have to resort to taking a shot or two beforehand. Bad, I know, but I'm not on meds at the moment, so I'm feeling too amped-up in general. Face to face is more or less okay, with some interactions being worse than others - occasionally I get nervous and mess up my words, but usually I get through it easily enough.