Do you hate being called Shy??

MrJones

Shy is not an insult, no one should feel bad for being called shy. Anyway I know it's easy to feel bad for such things, so the best you can try to do is think how you really are. If you are not shy, why bother for something that is not real? If you are shy, why bother for something you are and it's not bad? It would be like being called tall or short, you are that way, it doesnt matter.

Fembot

I don't mind being called shy. I wish I was just shy, instead of having social anxiety. I just hate when people harp on how quiet I am. That makes me feel awkward and guilty, as if I've done something wrong.

OceanMist

Here are some things I've heard people tell me about me being shy:

"Why are you so quiet?"
"You have to talk to get laid."
"Women don't like men that don't talk. You'll never get anything from a woman."
"Not a ladies man! Not a ladies man!"
"He doesn't say sh--."
"You are so quiet! Say something!"
"Dude, you are such a f'n pus--!"

I've heard more insults, those are just some to give everyone an idea of what I've had to deal with. Hey man, it's like in Jerry Maguire though....."Roll with the punches. Tomorrow's a new day."

Luka

I don't mind because I know that's who I am... but on the other hand ppl saying, "why are you so quiet?"

get's to me everytime.

Roman Legion

Not trying to bring up an old topic but I hear this all the time and like everything, it can get old fast.. Last person that asked me this, I just stood up and walked away.. I have this thing where I can't talk at all to people.. Since it was undiagnosed, I got into the military..lol It is hard working in retail and similar jobs because I can't talk to people and some get pissy because I can't look people in the eyes.. I remember when I actually got a date to prom (Yep, the old notes actually worked for once) I had to step outside into the rain, because I was having an anxiety attack being in a room with so many people.. I can't stand crowds.. But what was said before is true, people should not point it out, we already know it and it makes us feel worse..

Srijita52

Yeah I do hate being called shy. I don't know why though as that's who I am. But I thing its the negative stereotype people have about shyness that really gets to me.

Gaucho

people don't call me shy, but they think it! and i know that they are thinking it. it just sucks not having an interesting personality+ being stupid, it sucks so fking bad

Agent_Violet

i don't get called shy. i get told i'm scary or intimidating bc i don't talk a lot,i tend to be serious and a little too direct for people.

i'd rather get called shy.

Silatuyok

People call me quiet. I don't mind. I am very quiet. But yes, it does bother me if someone assumes I am shy rather than just reserved and not talkative. Fortunately, I don't get called "shy" to my face very often.

Roman Legion

^ That. I'm surprised at how often people say that sort of thing to my face.

Hopefully you didn't get what I did in school.. Kids mocking you because of an inability to speak to anyone or interact with others.. So you overhear them saying things like "I can see him walking through the school with an AK-47 shooting everyone.." ::(:

Agent_Violet

Hopefully you didn't get what I did in school.. Kids mocking you because of an inability to speak to anyone or interact with others.. So you overhear them saying things like "I can see him walking through the school with an AK-47 shooting everyone.." ::(:

I get that at work all the time. "One day V is gonna walk in here and just kill us all...that's why she's serious and quiet. She's plotting."

Nice.::(:

recluse

When someone calls me shy i automatically think what they really are implying is - I'm a weak, pathetic, boring guy.

ohheybbyitscorixx

As a result of people telling me I am too quiet, I now talk too much. And I tend to talk about weird things and people look at me like "uhh..". I used to be a listener. In most cases, I'd prefer to listen to people, but people find that it's just not socially acceptable or something. I want a friend to sit in silence with.

ohheybbyitscorixx

I don't mind the word shy so much. I usually get "you're so quiet" or, my least favourite of all, the sarcastic "Jeez, shut up! You talk too much" (followed by laughing and then awkward silence).

If I had to choose, I'd choose being called shy. When people say I talk too much, I almost cry because I just don't know what to say.

OceanMist

This thread suits me today. This woman that I deliver flowers to said, "Oh no, it's the guy that never smiles." First thing she said right when I walked in the door. She wasn't joking either because she had this disappointed look on her face that didn't change. I just wanted to punch her in the face, haha.

What's scary is that it doesn't surprise me anymore when I'm criticized for being shy. Can't tell you how many times I've heard stuff about my shyness.

I guess the positive thing is that I don't really care very much about it anymore. I have learned to maintain focus on what I'm doing and ignore the people who talk ****. I still don't get why the shyness bothers other people so much. It's not like I'm getting in their face or invading their space.

OceanMist

I get that at work all the time. "One day V is gonna walk in here and just kill us all...that's why she's serious and quiet. She's plotting."

Nice.::(:

It's the worst at work, especially when we have to work a full time job. Work is bad enough as it is, it's boring and repetitious. Then someone drops insult like that.....it just makes us feel like saying shut up *******, you know? There was one time I actually yelled that to a guy, haha.