Do you hate being called Shy??

Srijita52

Usually I am ok with most people.... Then out of the blue they would say something like as follows... "Don't be shy".... I dread those words.... Please don't call me shy...........I know I'm shy I don't need to hear it from other people....

Its same for me. I could be having a great day around others enjoying myself. Then someone says, 'You're too shy' or 'Why don't you ever talk?' There's nothing wrong with the words, perhaps they're just showing their concern about it but they always make me quieter than ever. It reminds me that I have something wrong with me.

FriendlyShadow

Hey guys. I can definitely relate to all of you. There have been numerous times i have been told I'm too quiet, I'm shy, and even someone told me in a sarcastic tone that I was a great conversationalist. Well, to me personally i don't think it's right. In fact, i don't think it's fair either. The same thing affects a loudmouth person as well. Some examples like this would be like "Wow, you talk too much", or "Do you ever shut up?" I think people who do such things, aren't considering the other people's feelings at all. Now, I'm not saying that all outgoing, talkative people would go far as to flat out tell somebody that they're quiet/shy. I do believe that there are talkative people who are nice and friendly to others(hopefully). I'm saying certain loud mouths have the nerve to just automatically assume that if a person doesn't talk much, then they think it's alright to just flat out tell them that they are quiet, disregarding their feelings. Gladly, I'm not one of those people that would ever do that. Not if it's my family, friends, loud people, or heck, even people who are like me. I don't need to go to that extent because it just shows I have respect for other people's feelings. Plus, I love how if I can still have like a small communication with people, I'm still called out as quiet.:confused:. It just doesn't make sense to me. I mean instead of calling out a person who's quiet/shy, rather try to to get to know that person better. So, to some of the more verbose people who are reading this, just know this: Realize that not all people are going to have the same fun, bubbly, personality as you do. Also, realize a person who is quiet/shy already knows that and doesn't need to be told so. That's all I had to say.[/QUOTE

One time at work, i was in the upstairs stock room, and it was just me and the stock room manager he was doing paper work and stuff on the computer, i was just picking tickets and cleaning. he turns round to me and in a really sarcastic voice goes stop making so much noise your so loud. i wanted the ground to swallow me up. they all call me at lerch at work out of the adams family as well, i just want to get on with work and then go home. at our christmas party as well our manager introduced me to people as alex who doesnt say much.

Last edited:

Feathers

People don't call me 'shy', they actually don't THINK I can be shy (or might have problems with this) - I can be loud & outgoing or talkative, it really depends on the situation/circumstance/s though...

I wish someone would realize I can be just shy about certain things sometimes, lol...

JustWannaLove

yea I dread those words too. I guess because it touches a nerve. My social problems are the deepest, most painful part of my life. The area that brings me most shame. As soon as people comment upon it, it's like they've seen right through me, and all my most shameful secrets are exposed.

I agree with this...
My SA developed whilst i was quite an outgoing person (although i was very careless and hurt people's feelings...i'd go back and appologise if i could)
anyways, it was a weird transition for me. my friends in high school would tell me that i'm quiet. i took it more as "you're more quite than usual. what's up?" so then i developed this habit of just talk talk talk. it was quite a rollercoaster ride for me. i could never find a balance. i'd either talk too much and make a fool out of myself trying to please other's expectations of me, or not talk enough and just be quiet. i am so self-conscious and worry what people think about me, and at the same time i wanna hide my true feelings, so when they comment that i am shy, i feel like i am not talking enough to remove suspicions that i have a problem, but when i try to be outgoing, i am not myself and i feel fake, trying to please those around me, trying to make them happy, to the point where i lost myself along the way doing things that really dont reflect me and sometimes people assume that's what i am like, but i'm not. i didnt know who i was anymore. i constantly have to act happy. sometimes it helps, and i do feel happy (when im not too conscious of things and try to block out the reality)...but anyways, yes, sometimes i hate being called shy, because i care too much what people think. especially those who knew the "old" me and those i feel like i have to 'impress'. and i dont know who i want to be: the shy person who has nothing to say, or the person who just wants to make people feel happy by talking too much.

sorry for the essay lol. it's just nice to be able to talk about it.

JustWannaLove

People always sat to me smile, I hate it -.-

i have tried the whole smiling thing to conceal my feeligns, and i did this to the point where my smile just looked painfully sad. it was a depressing sight. i try to smile, but i just can't. it just brings back memories. some days i find it easy to smile, others, i just dont. when i was in college, my friends would point out that i looked miserable. i hated it. whenever they said that i'd laugh it off and say "really?" and then try to smile a lot after that to pretend.

she1slander

It's just one giant double standard. If we told an outgoing, loud person sarcastically "Wow, could you be any more quiet?" they'd probably get mad. I've noticed there is a problem with society, it's somehow okay to make fun of a shy person but it's all the sudden insulting to call someone who is loud, loud.

Like it's okay to tell me "You are too quiet. You need to talk more." Then it's not okay to tell a loud person, "You are loud. You need to talk less."
I concur. In some countries, and I'm not sure if it's just China or Japan, but speaking out is considered rude and so being quiet or shy may not be such a bad thing. Maybe it's just a western concept. I've lived in Canada for most of my life and have been asked a number of times why I'm so shy and couldn't really come up with any reasonable answer. It makes me wonder if it's like illegal or something to be seen as too mysterious. I thought maybe it's because people are concerned that I might have issues with them as it could mean I'm giving them a "silent treatment." :rolleyes:

^ That's about how I feel. It really touches a nerve with me...I feel instantly angry or ashamed, annoyed at them for saying anything. Just let me be. I just want to be myself and not have to constantly be talking and loud and in the limelight like some people like to be.
It used to bother me 'cause like I said, it's as if people who ask such a question have a hard time tolerating those who are too quiet. People who are talkative or loud tend to gravitate to those who are just like them... it gives them a thrill I guess. I mean, that's just how I've always interpreted it when someone comments on my "quiet" or "shyness" as though it's a bad thing. People who don't mind that you're shy won't make a comment and usually prefer to have you around over those who are loud (they require constant monitoring 'cause they can't help it when they get excited lol :rolleyes:)

she1slander

Its same for me. I could be having a great day around others enjoying myself. Then someone says, 'You're too shy' or 'Why don't you ever talk?' There's nothing wrong with the words, perhaps they're just showing their concern about it but they always make me quieter than ever. It reminds me that I have something wrong with me.

Interesting. You know I have to wonder sometimes why such individuals would show concern for that state of being. 'Cause at times, being shy isn't really a bad thing unless it is a cause for great distress in your personal life because it seems to rob you out of the opportunities that could benefit you in the long term. Opportunities like getting to know certain individuals, being part of a team, or to gain recognition for your talents and abilities. To me, being shy has caused me to believe that I have many limitations and that's what I've struggled to overcome especially in my teenage years up to college/university.

Although being shy may seem like you're only a step or two behind people who are not shy and have confidence in themselves, I do see some perks to it. You tend to be more observant and pay attention to little details that most outgoing and talkative people fail to notice. Because you're shy, you're mostly concerned with what people think of you, so when this happens, you become extra cautious with how you present yourself. You'd rather not say a word for fear of saying the wrong thing and making a complete idiot of yourself unlike the person who's so quick to blurt out all kinds of nonsense yet run the risk of becoming rejected. Oftentimes, being shy has proven much to save face and prolong certain fears. I wish I could stop caring about what other people think and just let go of any fear.

Last edited:

FriendlyShadow

Hey guys. I can definitely relate to all of you. There have been numerous times i have been told I'm too quiet, I'm shy, and even someone told me in a sarcastic tone that I was a great conversationalist. Well, to me personally i don't think it's right. In fact, i don't think it's fair either. The same thing affects a loudmouth person as well. Some examples like this would be like "Wow, you talk too much", or "Do you ever shut up?" I think people who do such things, aren't considering the other people's feelings at all. Now, I'm not saying that all outgoing, talkative people would go far as to flat out tell somebody that they're quiet/shy. I do believe that there are talkative people who are nice and friendly to others(hopefully). I'm saying certain loud mouths have the nerve to just automatically assume that if a person doesn't talk much, then they think it's alright to just flat out tell them that they are quiet, disregarding their feelings. Gladly, I'm not one of those people that would ever do that. Not if it's my family, friends, loud people, or heck, even people who are like me. I don't need to go to that extent because it just shows I have respect for other people's feelings. Plus, I love how if I can still have like a small communication with people, I'm still called out as quiet.:confused:. It just doesn't make sense to me. I mean instead of calling out a person who's quiet/shy, rather try to to get to know that person better. So, to some of the more verbose people who are reading this, just know this: Realize that not all people are going to have the same fun, bubbly, personality as you do. Also, realize a person who is quiet/shy already knows that and doesn't need to be told so. That's all I had to say.[/QUOTE

One time at work, i was in the upstairs stock room, and it was just me and the stock room manager he was doing paper work and stuff on the computer, i was just picking tickets and cleaning. he turns round to me and in a really sarcastic voice goes stop making so much noise your so loud. i wanted the ground to swallow me up. they all call me at lerch at work out of the adams family as well, i just want to get on with work and then go home. at our christmas party as well our manager introduced me to people as alex who doesnt say much.

I'm sorry to hear about your story. I know that many people make assumptions, but don't let those kind of things happen to you. I know some people who'd rather be with a quiet person than the loud ones. Plus, here's a good comebacks(and to all the quiet people who have been told they are quiet) when someone tells you you're quiet; "Yeah, and your point being" "Oh, I've been told, but thanks anyhow" or you could just say nothing at all. I think silence could be your best weapon because some of them usually don't know how to react.

Last edited:

Aletheia

"Shy", like "nerd", is a label I've come to embrace because it reflects who I truly am.

It's part of what makes me unique, and if I stop wanting to tear it out of myself, I can listen to what it has to tell me.

I guess the key is to stop hearing it as a criticism.

Predacon

Can't say I'm a fan of the term "Shy" it feels like something you would use to describe a five year old girl. I'd accept quiet or introverted, but I don't like shy.

Jessquietgirl

I hate when people call me "shy" especially WHEN THEY KNOW that I talk more than one sentence with my only best friend.

OceanMist

I think shy is never a compliment, that's for sure. That's just my opinion.

I think when a person is called shy it's either an observation or an insult.

I agree with accepting it and not wanting to tear it out of yourself. We must be at peace with it and not allow ourselves to get angry. Anger in our hearts can only lead to pain.

she1slander

I think shy is never a compliment, that's for sure. That's just my opinion.

I think when a person is called shy it's either an observation or an insult.

I agree with accepting it and not wanting to tear it out of yourself. We must be at peace with it and not allow ourselves to get angry. Anger in our hearts can only lead to pain.

Or "hate", which eventually leads to "suffering" as Master Yoda would say. ::p:

I don't mind the word shy so much. I usually get "you're so quiet" or, my least favourite of all, the sarcastic "Jeez, shut up! You talk too much" (followed by laughing and then awkward silence).

cowboyup

It is very annoying being called shy or quiet. Inside I am screaming at the top of my lungs because, to me, it is rude & intrusive to say to a person. I know I am quiet and yes I am shy but when people say that it's like it's a huge character flaw.

or how about, "don't look so sad, it's not the end of the world" or "cheer up"
Apparently I used to go around with my "smile turned upside down".... <-- not my words! ugh. people are so rude sometimes.