Do you ever think about embarrasing moments and cringe?

phil91

Sometimes when I'm lying in bed and can't sleep, I seem to look back at past experiences and feel so embarrased about them (even if I didn't feel embarrased at the time) and think "oh my god, why did I do that?" then bury my head into my pillow.

Or if I'm listening to music on my iPod and daydreaming. I usually imagine some random scenario where I'm about to do something in front of other people, and I always balls it up and make myself look stupid. So I end up cringing and feeling embarrased about something that didn't even happen!

Does anyone else do this? :confused:

Silvox Black

I hate it. Every waking moment is a battle to keep my memories from haunting me. I could be merely reading from a novel and suddenly a thought will be triggered, recalling me back to an embarrassing moment from childhood or recently. It is like my mind is trying to literally damn me.

Shift

Yeah, I do that sometimes. And I also end up thinking about things that make me sad a lot, even though I don't want to... And then I'll just start crying. It usually only happens when I'm alone though.

Yes, the exact thing happens to me if I lay in bed to go to sleep before I'm completely exhausted. My therapists in the past used to call it "dwelling". It's so predictable and so painful that I stay up until I'm on the verge of passing out before I finally crawl into bed...which is why I'm usually on here late at night lol

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Yes to all of the above. Except the doughnut.

You do know Wal-Mart uses any excuse possible to avoid giving benefits to employees, right? Like not keeping people for very long, just to give an example.

nopark

This happens to me every once and a while. Usually the same as you -- when I'm laying in bed, trying to sleep. Every bad thing that has ever happened to me seems to come up and replay itself in my minds amphitheater. The worst parts are always exaggerated, which ends up making the whole experience seem much worse than it was at the time.

Honestly, there are some things from long ago I'm not even sure happened anymore. So many times have they been replayed and tweaked through my minds eye, I can't even be sure of the original happenings.

iamthenra

Oh my...do I ever! My latest embarrassing moment came at my uncle's funeral and as I was leaving I ran into my cousin's husband who was a pallbearer. I shook his hand and told him how sorry I was...then as I was leaving I made a comment about having fun in a sarcastic tone... I have no idea why I even said that, because that isn't what I wanted to say. Or another scenario was when I was at the bank and I was leaving and the greeter said: "Have a nice day and thank you for coming!" and I said " Thanks, you too... " DOPE!!! I beat myself up for saying some of the dumbest things imaginable. I know my vocabulary isn't as large as it should be, and I feel tongue tied all the time and doing dumb things doesn't help the anxiety. It actually feeds the anxiety and makes it worse and it makes me more hesitant on any social interaction.

I do... actually not very often because I've tried to push all of the embarrassing things out of my mind... but alas, they're never gone for good. Stupid things I've said to people by mistake, or silly things I've done simply because I didn't want to speak up or draw attention to myself- but they ultimately just made me stand out even more. Mostly they happened when I was much younger, but I guess I was so mortified that I'm terrified of repeating anything like it nowadays.

Emily_G

Sometimes when I'm lying in bed and can't sleep, I seem to look back at past experiences and feel so embarrased about them (even if I didn't feel embarrased at the time) and think "oh my god, why did I do that?" then bury my head into my pillow.

Or if I'm listening to music on my iPod and daydreaming. I usually imagine some random scenario where I'm about to do something in front of other people, and I always balls it up and make myself look stupid. So I end up cringing and feeling embarrased about something that didn't even happen!

Yeah, sometimes when I can't sleep I think about my past and cringe, squeeze the pillow, bury my face in the pillow, groan. It's stupid...it's done and there's no point in bringing up bad memories. But I still do it sometimes and I hate it.

I go through this, too. For some reason, it especially occurs while I'm exercising. At the moment, I just want to stop everything I'm doing.

@iamthenra - I HATE when that happens. The "thanks, you too" thing.

Emily_G

Yes, the exact thing happens to me if I lay in bed to go to sleep before I'm completely exhausted. My therapists in the past used to call it "dwelling". It's so predictable and so painful that I stay up until I'm on the verge of passing out before I finally crawl into bed...which is why I'm usually on here late at night lol

Dwelling. That's a very good word for what I do.

philly2bits

oddly enough for me I tend to think of the situations where I was the most social as being the most embarrassing. At the time I was not embarrassed, but looking back on it I can't shake the feeling I did it "wrong."

planemo

If I had a dollar for every regrettable moment I play over and over in my head, I would be a rich man.

holy stuff, i do that!!! Its a problem I know, but i just cant help but beat myself up for being so dumb at the time, heck i still remember th dumb stuff I've done from 10 years ago. I beat myself up more than other people do to me

This happens to me alot, not only embarrassing moments, but moments I regret, or things that could have been different. The "What if's"

ThePunisher

Yeah I do it too sometimes :S

But I try and think of memorable moments too to counter the embarassing thoughts, like how I gave a tissue to a girl who was about to cry, it was like yes I pulled the right moves at the right time :)

But also I try to tell myself that it's ok and that I was nieve/young during that time and that it's normal to make an a** outta myself cause everyone else does it too.

mrb

thats sa for you .... if you say something you think is silly you beat yourself up over it for ages ... but 9 times out of ten the comment you made people forget about 2 min after you have said it ... its just you that thinks about it not the people you said it to ..

Yes! I relive all of my awkward social interactions in my imagination and beat myself up about them. Even ones that happened years ago I can't stop thinking about. It's a very destructive thing to do.

shy17

Yes. Is it really weird. Let's say i said something at school which was stupid, but didn't make me embarassed after i did it. Then some time passes and while i am thinking about it i am blushing and thinking "God why i did that?"

Squishy

I hate remembering embarrassing moments it's like living through them again. I'll keep thinking about them until I eventually forget.