Do you believe in True friendship/True love?

Srijita52

Do you think there's actually something as True friendship/True love?If so,how would you define it?

N0D

Banned
Maybe...if so i'd say it's something like highly compatible personalities and interests combined with very strong trust. I'd like to believe it doesn't exist though because thinking it does just makes me depressed that i don't have it...

*Amy*

I have experienced true friendship, so yes, I guess it does exist, even though it's quite hard to find. I haven't experienced true love though, so I can't really tell about that:D

snowcream

It's out there; I just haven't yet experienced it. I have a few friends (but they're not the kind I can depend upon or would trust them with my life)
I think we just use each other so we dont have to be alone. I'm yet to meet a person who I can call a true friend

Then we first need to define ''true'' in the context of friendships/relationships.

There are people that will seemingly do whatever they can for you (given that you do the same for them), but there are no absolutes when it comes to the human mind, so there's always the negative fluctuation, however minor it may be.

It'll never be a 100% pure in the sense that you won't feel any negativity in the duration of the friendship/relationship. There's no such thing as perfection. But if you mean ''true'' in the sense whether a friendship/relationship can survive most semi-orthodox situations, then yes, of course.

That's not even a question of believe, it's quite evidentially out there.

Last edited:
Yes, I've found what I believe to be true love, and true friendship with it. But before, I think I believed, but I wouldn't have been putting any money on it

NP88

Family. The only people I can call true friends that I have huge amount of unconditional love for is my family. That will never change.

No, at least not in some way separate from being really good friends or really loving someone. I did believe in it for a long time, until just recently. In fact, I felt it. I had a girlfriend. We unconditionally loved, trusted, and cared for each other, and I was sure there was something special about our relationship, some unbreakable bond, that we could overcome any obstacle together and make it all work out despite the odds; true love if there is such a thing, but it didn't work out. She one day decided that our relationship was "ridiculous" and broke up with me. This "true love" that I was so sure I was experiencing was nothing more than another blinding emotion, totally unreliable and meaningless.

So no, I don't believe in true love.

NP88

I dont understand experimentation either pingu as I agree with you. I think though that people who do not have SA enjoy it for what it is. They understand that it may not work out and just have fun with it. I could never do this too unsafe for me : /

Srijita52

Yes, i believe in true love. But true love happens from being friends first. I dont believe in all the crush = relationship = true love.

it should be friends = crush = true love = success!

It make sense, feeling can start with Like, the more you like, you end up loving.

You have to love this person as a friend, if you cant even be friends with that person.. how can you love them? It would be infatuation which isnt love.

If you crush on someone before your friend, your going to be shy and all.. and how your going to get to know this person? .. most likely ignore their flaws.
This is why when your friends it make more sense, because your gotten to know this person, and you love them for who they are. They not hiding anything from you like a date would - because they trying to impress you! and if you developed feelings for this person... your likely be more comfortable.

I just dont think people should go through all the heart break, and if they dont enjoy the pain, then crush the real way. Why date someone for a few weeks ,and then later found out ... i dont like this person because of this and that... just waste of time! If you were friends, you would had known that about them! I dont understand people that "experiement"

So,should every successful relationship start from friendship?

Aussie_Lad

True love is all around us. It's what most religions are based upon in a loose manner. It doesn't have to be love shared between people. It can be love shared between Jesus and his followers. It can be love shared between a pet and it's owner. It can also be in some instances, love shared between people.

True friendship does exist too, but not everyone has it. Even those with lots of friends around them, may have no true friends. Some may hang around because of fame or money, but true friends will be there regardless of how rich or broke you are, whether you are happy or sad etc.

True Friendship is a form of love, so this is also True Love.

AGR

Yes I do,I cant understand people who drift away/replaces friends,relationships easily,I could never do that,to me that isnt love,I also never make friendships/relationships easily.

Felgen

True friendship does exist and the same goes for true love. That being said, most relationship aren't built on true love...

Phoenixx

Yes, i believe in true love. But true love happens from being friends first. I dont believe in all the crush = relationship = true love.

it should be friends = crush = true love = success!

It make sense, feeling can start with Like, the more you like, you end up loving.

You have to love this person as a friend, if you cant even be friends with that person.. how can you love them? It would be infatuation which isnt love.

If you crush on someone before your friend, your going to be shy and all.. and how your going to get to know this person? .. most likely ignore their flaws.
This is why when your friends it make more sense, because your gotten to know this person, and you love them for who they are. They not hiding anything from you like a date would - because they trying to impress you! and if you developed feelings for this person... your likely be more comfortable.

I just dont think people should go through all the heart break, and if they dont enjoy the pain, then crush the real way. Why date someone for a few weeks ,and then later found out ... i dont like this person because of this and that... just waste of time! If you were friends, you would had known that about them! I dont understand people that "experiement"
^ I agree with this 100% :)

I have experienced true friendship, so of course I believe. I have yet to experience true love, but I do believe it's out there.

nothingtofear

the present is all there IS, sure the past was and the future will be but all that is is now - so say something isn't true because it doesn't last forever (or more sensibly, until the death of someone in the equation) doesn't make it any less real. Most things have a beginning and an end - and in between those points and as time goes by, things are always changing. Our perception of change relies as equally on our perception of time as our perception of time relies on our perception of change.

I know I'm rambling about some pretty abstract stuff here but it confuses me why so many people seem to treat "true" as meaning eternal or something like that. If your definition of friendship or love is something elaborate, impossible or highly unlikely, then it's non-existence is a logical thing to believe in only because of that definition that you're using.

Whether you're talking about platonic love or romantic love, I think of each as having two senses: the first being the emotion, the second being the nature of the emotional bond between two people in terms of the emotion they feel for each other as well as the interaction between them. So yes, I think that exists, hell I even think I know that exists. How does adding "true" before it change anything? True as in not fake? Not imaginary? Well, yeah, I already said I think I know it exists, obviously I meant I think it REALLY DOES EXIST. If by "true love" we aren't simply using our definitions of "true" and "love" in combination, but it's some kind of expression with a meaning that goes beyond the combined meaning of those two individual words, it depends wtf we mean when we use that expression.

Here's my answer to some specific meanings that I've heard:

~ Some people think of it as meaning "forever and for always" or something like that and in that context it seems few people pay attention to the fact that there's always a beginning, before which it wasn't there - but if we ignore that and don't get into a religious/philosophical debate on things like life after death, let's say "forever" means until death. In this case, then yes, I think there are people who have fallen in love and remained so throughout their life. I can't know this since I haven't lived the life of any such person and someone who appears to have had that happen may simply appear so to the rest of us, we don't know, we're not them. What we do know is that there are plenty of people who don't have it like that and that we can't know there aren't people who do.

~ Some people think of it as having something to do with everyone having one soul mate, only one other person in the world that they are romantically compatible with in order to experience "true love" - This sense, I do not believe in, because I see no reason to. I see reason to want to believe that, I see reason to believe it would be advantageous to believe that, and as someone who believes in evolution, I see why it makes biological sense (as a species is supposedly inclined to mate for life) for us to have evolved to feel that way... but it also makes biological sense to be attracted to the opposite sex and to procreate and I see no reason to believe that 1 and ONLY 1 out of 6,775,235,700ish people on this planet are suitable to be my life long mate and that there aren't ten, twenty, a hundred, or tens of thousands who are equally fit to be the one for me. Should I find a "perfect fit" it would probably be beneficial to think that they're the ONLY fit and that there is no other but should something happen to make that not work, it would probably be beneficial to think that maybe there IS someone else... but regardless of what benefits may or may not come with thinking this or that, I just don't see any rational explanation for everyone having only one potential soul mate. I believe in having just one of something you may choose to call a soul mate, but that's one of many potential ones and is defined as a soul mate by what happens, not what could happen and certainly not by what doesn't happen.

~ Some people mean unconditional love and as far as any practical sense of this goes, then yes, of course I think unconditional love exists, we see it everywhere. If you mean in the absolute sense, then no, it doesn't, just like there's no absolute knowledge in science but we still have "scientific knowledge" that we can functionally treat like absolute knowledge because despite the fact everything is uncertain, some things are so damn near certain that we can take them for granted and act like we know, because we pretty much do know. Likewise, unconditional love, in the practical sense, would mean love that persists regardless of the loved ones actions or qualities. Just like nothing is absolutely certain in science, there's no absolute unconditional love in that in some bizarre but possible sequence of events, the loved one could drug or cause brain damage to the otherwise unconditionally loving one causing them to be neurologically incapable of feeling love, in which case the loved one will have effectively prevented someone from loving them... so everything is conditional and nothing is absolute but in practical terms that are not impossibly strict, unconditional love absolutely exists.

~ To those who define true friendship and true love as being so intense that the relationship or emotion in question will persist until death, I would respond that the intensity is not the sole factor in how long it will persist and that everything is subject to circumstance. Like I said, I'm pretty sure (but not totally sure) that life long friendship and life long love can happen - but if you think that friendship or love that wains in intensity or ceases to exist entirely is an absolute indication of what it was when was at it's finest, then I disagree. We got where we are now from where we once were and we'll go where we go from where we are now but unless you're all knowing, you can't define what is now by what lies ahead and you can't define what is now by what once was. We can get clues about the past from the present and we can get clues about the future from the present and past but we can't totally define any one of those from the other. If your definition of the phrase "true love" or "true friendship" has any criteria in temporality, it's subject to that definition. If your definition is subject to no temporal criteria what so ever, well then time is irrelevant now isn't it?

...it truly is mind boggling how much our perceptions of reality are based in abstract semantics and subject to the weaknesses of language and even more so, just the way we use it.

I'm going to post this without proof reading it and risk looking insane, then laugh at myself if I do. Time, logic and language are a recipe for disaster with me.

nothingtofear

Without over complicating the **** out of things, as I always seem to do, my short answer is yes I believe in it and I would like to add that of everyone else who answered in any detail, blackpuma's answer made the most sense to me... Don't take that as a compliment too quickly though Puma, making sense to someone like me may very well be a symptom of mental illness!